Chapter 11: Back In Time

{Brie's POV}

The moment I jumped into the portal, all I could see was a tunnel of bright beam. It felt like I was travelling through a moving tunnel. I couldn't explain the feeling of jumping into a portal but I remember the tingling feeling of electricity traveling across my body. I couldn't wait to see what awaited at the other side of the bright tunnel of light.

Suddenly the light vanished, I found myself standing in a dark, empty alley. I looked ahead at the illuminated road before me. Yellow streetlights lined the side of the road. I stared in confusion at the sudden change in time. I traveled from a warehouse which was standing under the scorching sun but now I was standing in an alley covered by darkness.

I began hear footsteps approaching from behind me. I turned to see the silhouetted figures of two men heading towards me. I began walking towards the road. As I walked, I tried not show my suspicion. The footsteps grew faster and louder so I increased my pace. I walked so fast that I didn't even know I began to jog.

"Hey, you!" A voice echoed behind me. Adrenaline viciously travelled across my body and I took off in a sprint towards the open road. The men began to chase me while cursing at me. I was certain that they were not phantoms but it didn't reduce my anxiety.

I rushed past the sidewalk, running into the road. I heard the sudden blare of a car horn. I turned my head to the right to see the blinding headlights in front of me but before I could react, the car slammed into my waist.

Luckily for me, the car was almost halting when it collided with my waist. I fell to the ground, clutching my waist. I took in deep breath as my eyes darted to the dark alley in search of the thugs that had been chasing. I couldn't see anybody but I could hear them running away. The door to the car that had hit me opened and the driver jumped out.

"Oh my God! Are you alright?" My eyes were still fixed in the alley but something about the voice sounded too familiar. I turned to the driver and my eyes widened in astonishment. Standing next to the blinding headlights was a much younger Elaine. She looked just like the Elaine I had seen in the picture at Elaine's house, the first time we met.

"Um... I... I'm good" I stuttered as I rose up to my feet. I was completely dumbfounded by the lady standing in front of me.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there" Elaine said with a mild look that I had never seen before.

"It's fine. I shouldn't have jumped into the road" I replied

"My name is Elaine Holt. What's yours?" She asked offering a handshake. I stared at her hand as my brain searched frantically for a fake name.

"I'm Jackie" I finally spat. "Jackie Willow"

"Nice to meet you, Jackie. Come on, let me give you a ride home" Elaine offered with a warm smile.

"Um.. I actually don't have a home to get to" I said. Silence ensued as Elaine stared at me for a few seconds.

"Well then, you are welcome to stay at my place" she offered again.

"That would be really nice" I quickly responded.

"Hop in!" Elaine said as she walked over to the car.

I joined her in the car but I couldn't believe that the lady driving the car was the same woman I had met. They had two distinct characters. All I could do was gawk occasionally at Elaine until we got her house.

My eyes were glued to Elaine's face when we pulled over in front of her house. She stepped out of the car before nodding for me to do the same. I got out of the car and joined her as she walked into her house. As she pulled the door open, I took in a swift whiff of lavender coming from the living room. I walked into the house as I stared wide-eyed at the astonishing interior. A complete opposite of what I had seen in the house of the Elaine I knew.

White paints covered the walls of the house. A beautiful table that carried a white flower vase sat in the center of the room. The living room was crowned with several pictures hanging on the wall. Blue cushions sat the center of the room.

I sank into one of the cushions while Elaine went to the kitchen. She returned with two cans of soda. I happily collected one and gulped its cold refreshing liquid.

"So where are you from?" Elaine asked at she slumped into a couch next to me.

"Somewhere upstate. I don't have anywhere to stay actually" I lied.

"Why is a girl like you homeless?" Elaine inquired.

"Umm... I ran away from home. It's a long story I don't want to talk about" I lied again.

"I understand" Elaine said reassuringly.

"What is today's date?" I asked.

"15th of March, 2003" she replied.

I nodded hiding my shock. It became clearer to me why Elaine was much younger and didn't recognize me. We talked for a long time and I discovered even more things about the time I had jumped into. She offered to take me to her workplace. I agreed because it would give me a chance to meet my father.

I woke up the next morning to find Elaine standing at the foot of my bed holding up some clothes. I got up as I stared at the shirts and jeans in her grasp.

"You like?" She asked with a wide smile.

"Yeah but..." I started but was cut off by Elaine.

"No questions. I just got them since you were coming with me today" she said before tossing the clothes at me. Once she had left, I began to check out the clothes. Surprisingly, they all fitted me perfectly.

Minutes later, we were riding towards Banner Laboratories–where Elaine worked. The Banner Laboratories' skyscraper stood proudly over the street below. Its shadow lied over the asphalt. The windows of the top floors gleamed with elegancy. Elaine drove into the parking lot which ran underground. I trailed behind her as she walked into the building after parking the car.

Busy eyes glanced at us as we strode through the building. We entered an elevator which took us to the fifteenth floor. Elaine led to me to a big room filled with men and women walking around with bright white lab coats. Most of them shot questioning glances at me when I walked in.

"You're not supposed to be here but I would like you to meet my partner. He's a really nice guy" Elaine said as she grabbed a lab coat. Just as she turned, a familiar man walked briskly towards us. He had a stern look on his face. His eyes were extremely focused on Elaine.

"For the third time this week, Elaine" he said once he approached Elaine. I squinted my eyes trying hard to remember where I had seen him.

"Give a break, Edgar" she uttered, rolling her hazel eyes. My eyes widened once I had realized who he was. The stern looking scientist rambling about punctuality in front of me was my father.