Chapter 17: Sicario

{Chelsea's POV}

I drove through the town while Brie laid fast asleep in the passenger's seat. I glanced for a few times before my mind wandered off. I wondered where Elaine was and how I could hide away from my father. My best option was to ditch the sleeping teenager and her crazy godmother. I could just park the car somewhere, maybe leave some money behind so she could take of herself while I just travel as far I as can and hide away my vicious father. As much as I would have to ditch the girl, I couldn't because I made Elaine bring on this adventure so I couldn't leave them behind when they needed me.

Brie's wince drew me out of my thoughts. She seemed to be badly injured on her leg. She turned slightly in her seat trying to relax. I could tell she needed painkillers as much as did. After a few minutes, I found an ATM and withdrew some money from one of my numerous accounts. Accounts I created to avoid my father. Just as I was about to get into the car, I caught sight of a payphone booth. I decided to call my father, something I hadn't done in two years.

I tentatively put a coin into the machine and dialled my father's number. He had made me memorize numbers rather than put in the names of the owners. He claimed it could help me when I needed help. I could call anyone I needed through any phone at all. Ironically, I wasn't punching his number on the telephone for his help. The only thing I needed was to stay away from him.

I placed the telephone on my ears as I bit my lower lip. The phone rang for a few seconds causing my heart to race faster. For a split second, world went silent before I heard the sound of a voice clearing and my father's dreadful baritone voice.

"Hello" he said in his sharp Mexican accent.

"Hola padre" I greeted him in Spanish. At first everything was dead silent like he ended the call but just as I was about to pull the phone away from my ear, he responded.

"Pequenã perra" he spat in Spanish. I could still hear his bubbling rage through his voice.

"Have you finally come to your senses?" He asked.

"Have you finally stopped trafficking drugs?" I asked in reply. He chuckled for a few seconds before responding in his stern tone.

"Mi sicario te encontrata" he said with a hint of pride.

I chuckled. "You mean Javier, or is there someone else?" I asked arrogantly.

"See you soon,Mia" my father simply replied before hanging up. I felt a pang of worry but I shook it off. There was no way he could me. I couldn't see the possibility.

I found a motel after two hours of driving the city. I managed to secured a room that smelt of bleach. As I slowly dropped Brie on the bed, I could smell the pungent stench of the sweat belonging to the former user of the bedroom. I stared at the pale Brie as she struggled to find comfort on the bed.

"Your leg still hurt?" I asked even though it was clear from her facial expression that it still did. She nodded in response before shutting her eyes.

"Um... I think I should get your painkillers" I said, rubbing her shoulder. She let out a soft moan from her thinned lips.

"Cool! I'll be right back" I said. After one last glance at Brie, I left the motel room. I hurried out of motel which earned me a weird stare from the fat lady behind the counter.

Once I got into the car, I drove off in search of a pharmacy. Fifteen frustrating minutes later, I halted in front of a convenient store. I hurried into the building, avoiding the resentful glares of the passers-by. Once I got into the supermarket, I grabbed a trolley and rushed into an aisle. As I searched as for painkillers, I managed to grab some snacks and drinks. I caught sight of some caps hanging in the aisle. I grabbed one and threw it over my head so I could hide the ugly gash on my forehead. I finally got the medicine section. I grabbed two bottles of painkillers, a bottle of iodine and cotton wool.

I found my way to counter where I paid for the items I took. I noticed the suspicious glances the attendant threw at me as she packaged the items for me. I ignored her glances and walked out of the convenient store after she packaged the items. I jogged to the car as quickly as I could. I didn't want to attract more attention than I already gotten. I tossed the bags into the front passenger seat and jumped into the car.

As I stabbed the key into the ignition, I felt something cold rest on the back of my neck. I attempted to turn when I heard a click and the cold thing pressed against my neck. My eyes widened as I realized it was a gun's barrel pressing against my neck. Someone had broken into the car.

"Make a wrong move and I swear I'll put a bullet in your neck" a familiar male voice rang in my ears. The Mexican accent of the voice was to familiar than I cared to admit.

"Javier?" I whispered, seeking confirmation with my hands raised.

"Good to see you, Mia" the voice  spoke again with a certain calm sense of rage in its tone.

"So that bastard really sent a hitman after me" I blurted in anger.

"That bastard is your father and you are lucky to still be alive" Javier responded.

"How did you find me?" I asked in an attempt to prolong the discussion as I racked my brain for an escape plan.

"The car you stole belonged to your father. You should have ditched it." He answered with a chuckle. I frowned at the tone of his voice but I realized that he was right.
I heard him hit the headrest of the driver's seat.

"Now drive!"