Chapter 9: Chelsea

{Elaine's POV}

Miserable.

I felt completely miserable sitting at the back of that shitty convertible. I failed to protect Brie against that phantom. She stood outside that van, fighting for our lives while I laid inside the van clutching my aching ribcage. I was grateful to the girl who came to our rescue because I didn't know what I would have done if something had happened to Brie. She was my number one priority now. I drifted in and out of consciousness until the car halted in front of an apartment complex. I leaned against the two ladies as they led me into the building. We took the elevator and finally arrived at her apartment. I slumped into a couch, struggling to remain awake but my vision grew blurry and I fell asleep.

I woke up to the sound of giggling and the aroma of freshly fried bacon. I tried to get up but the pain around my ribcage held me down. I managed to stand and staggered my way to the kitchen. Both ladies stared at me with surprise as I staggered my way to the kitchen.

"Hey, you should be lying down" Brie said as she tried to help me. I shoved her hands away before leaning against the wall.

"I'm not an old lady" I replied.

"She's feisty" the convertible lady said, flashing a smile at me. She had big brown eyes and honey brown hair. She was a little older than Brie, maybe two years or three.

"Elaine, this is Chelsea" Brie said,  introducing her to me.

"I've heard a lot about you" Chelsea said.

"Of course you have, that's probably what you two were giggling about"  I responded.

Soon after, we were sitting in the living room with each person holding a plate of bread and bacon and a cup of tea. Not that I was a big fan of tea but Chelsea was exactly a coffee person.

"Where did that phantom attacked  that Brie come from?" Chelsea asked me, breaking the prolonged silence in the room.

"It was just a product of some boring science stuff" I replied, not wanting to start a conversation or explain more about phantoms.

"So scientist created that" Chelsea huffed excitedly. I almost choked over my tea in surprise of her words.

I gave in. "Not exactly, scientists created a passageway to the phantom's world and now they managed to come over to this side"

"Shit! I didn't see that on the news" Chelsea said. Brie guffawed, spewing some droplets of tea from her mouth.

*It's more like top secret. Just a handful of people know about" I explained. I was really getting tired of talking.

What I would give for her to shut the fuck up!

"We're actually trying to find the passageway and block it off, maybe send the others back" Brie chipped in which annoyed me even more.

Can everybody just shut the actual fuck up?!

"So you guys are like trying to save the world?" Chelsea asked with a childlike admiration.

"Maybe" Brie said with a boastful smile.

"What?!" I exclaimed loudly.

"I'm coming with you guys!" Chelsea hollered.

"Let's just calm down for—" I was rudely cut off by the overly excited Brie.

"Great! But you'll need weapons" Brie said. I sat there, feeling so ignored as the two ladies rambled. Slowly, rage began to swell in my head until I couldn't take it anymore.

"Would you two just shut up!" I yelled, slamming my hand against the table causing them to freeze. My injured rib ached slightly at my sudden outburst. They both stared at me in surprise while I sat there panting.

"First of all, she's not coming with us" I said harshly.

"Trust me, you'll need me" Chelsea said with a confident smirk.

"I doubt it" I blurted.

Chelsea left the living room and returned with a big, loaded duffel bag. She placed it on the center table and unzipped it. I stared in amazement at the large number of guns that laid in the bag. Brie gasped, glancing a puzzled look at Chelsea.

"What do you say now?" Chelsea asked, maintaining her confident smirk

What I think? I think you're fucking crazy!

I subdued the yelling voice in my head before answering. "Why do you have those?"

"It's a long story" she replied.

"Well, you better start talking" I blurted sharply.

Chelsea heaved. " My dad is a notorious drug dealer. I stole a huge sum of money from him after a few years of working for him. I got sick of the job and opted out but he refused, so I stole his money and ran"

Brie, who had been even more flabbergasted than I was, finally spoke. "I think she should come with us". I stared blankly at the ladies as my mind struggled to make a decision.

"I have a convertible and a very fat credit card" Chelsea chipped in. In that moment, my brain went blank. My decision was staring right in my face.

"Fine, but you'll do as I tell you. And try not to get killed" I replied.

Two hours later, I was ready to leave. I watched the two ladies I now had to babysit but I knew Chelsea wasn't going to be like Brie. She seemed like a badass herself but it still didn't change the fact that I felt responsible for them.

The best part about calling the shots is that you get to do whatever you want, no matter how annoying. That was why I sat in front of the steering wheel of that red convertible while Chelsea sat beside me. Brie sat at the backseat, grinning at the rearview mirror.

"Here goes nothing" I said before I turned the car into ignition and drove off into the uncertainty of dangerous future.