Chapter 18: Run, Elaine!

{Elaine's POV}

Sitting in that dark room, I almost felt like an American spy captured by a group of terrorists. The only problem was that it didn't feel as cool as it looked on TV. I was wet, cold and hungry. My wrists hurt, my head throbbed, my stomach growled and I kept drifting in and out of consciousness. I couldn't keep track of time which made me feel more useless. I had too much time thinking of an escape that the idea seemed far-fetched. I tried twisting my hands free but that only worsened the bruises on my wrists.

I was drifting off to sleep when I had the door creak open. I struggled to see with my blurry vision. I could hear footsteps approach me but I could make out the figure. Suddenly the bulb over my head lit up. I moaned as the light blinded my eyes.

"You have a visitor" a familiar raspy voice echoed across the room. I was going to reply but I was hardly had the strength to stay conscious.

I heard more footsteps emerge into the room. I had scrapping on the concrete floor. The scrapping drew closer to me and halted abruptly. After a few quiet seconds, I heard someone take a deep breath in front of me. I couldn't make out who it was but he was sitting in a chair just in front of me.

"Doctor Holt?" The voice rang with its distinct Irish accent.

"Banner" I whispered weakly.

"Tell me where my machine is" he said softly but I could still hear the rage through his voice. I chuckled softly and bowed my head to the ground.

"Get me the revolver" Banner commanded.

Revolver? This wasn't how it was supposed to go.......

"We're going to play a game. Quite interesting if I might add" Banner said, receiving the revolver and a pack of bullets. He placed the pack of bullets on his lap and pulled out one of the bullets. He put the bullet into one of the empty chambers of the revolver and spun it into place.

"You'll find this game pretty interesting. I assure you. It's called Russian Roulette" Banner continued. He placed the muzzle on my forehead. "Now tell me where the machine is"

I stared at the revolver resting against my forehead. As much as I didn't want to tell him anything, I wasn't ready to die in a torture room. Besides, I was already hungry and cold, I was about to add dead to my list of inconveniences.

"Fine! Just get two king-sized burgers and a mango smoothie and I promise to take you to your machine" I replied weakly. Banner turned to give his goons a disbelieving look.

"That wasn't hard, was it?" He muttered to his goons with a smirk. "Get her some food"

"Thanks" I muttered as I drifted out of consciousness.

An hour later, I was seating next to an empty cup of mango smoothie and a Burger King paper bag. Banner sat in front of me with a smirk but as disgusted as I was, I managed to make a fake smile mostly because he had just fed me.

"Back to business" Banner uttered, rubbing his palms together. I sat there staring into his greedy eyes as a satisfied smirk stretched out his lips.

"Kernlon Woods. I had it stashed in a warehouse in Kernlon Woods" I spat. 

Banner's smirk morphed into a hearty chuckle. "Perfect. Now all you have to do is take us there"

Before I could say another word, a black bag was placed over my head. I felt two hands grab my arm, pulling me up to my feet as roughly as they could. The men carried me out of the room and soon I heard a door open. I was pushed into the back of a van.

"Don't you know how to treat a woman?!" I yelled out in frustration.

"You're no woman" a deep stern voice replied.

After a few minutes, the van began to move. While it drove to Kernlon Woods, I thought hard about an escape plan but my mind was as blank as my eyesight. I didn't have a plan but the last thing I was going to do was to give Banner the machine.

The van finally came to an abrupt stop, jolting me back to reality. I heard the van door open and someone pulled me out of the van. Suddenly the bag was pulled away from my head. The blinding beam of the summer sun burned brightly, forcing me to close my eyes. Finally my eyes adjusted to the light and men ushered me to the front of the van. Banner stood there examining the large mass of trees and grasses.

"We're here. Take us to my machine"

I was shoved into the woods and the men followed closely behind me as I lead them further into the woods. As I marched into the woods, I consequently stole glances over my shoulder to catch the men when they lowered their guard. Each time I looked, they were always several pairs of eyes staring back at me. I noticed how tightly they held unto their guns.

Strangely, they were waiting for me to make a wrong move and I was definitely going to make a wrong move. I was certainly not going to disappoint them. All I needed was the right opportunity. I looked down at the pair of handcuffs that held my hands together.

If only I could get this shit off my hands.

As I wondered, a dangerous idea popped up in my head. It was the stupidest idea I ever had but it was the only idea I had so far. An idea solely depended on luck and how fast I could run. I took a deep breath of courage and began with my stupid plan.

I stumbled around consciously fell to the ground. As I had anticipated, one of the captors lowered his weapon and tried to pull me up to my feet. He placed his hand on my shoulder and slowly pulled me up. He managed to pull me up till I was on knees then I attempted a headbutt which slammed into his groin. He bent over in pain with a suppressed huff. In that moment, I got up and ran off into the woods.

As I ran, I could Banner barking out orders to his confused men. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me. It wasn't very fast but it put a good distance me and the men. The leaves rustled behind me as I sped through. Suddenly, I heard the men hollering behind me. They slowly gaining on me and I heard to evade them fast.

I ducked and took over behind a tree. I sat behind the tree silently as the men ran past me wielding their guns. I noticed one of the men moving slowly and surveying the area. Judging from his distance from the others, I felt like I could disarm him in time before they returned.

Like a crazed bull, I rushed at the man. I could feel my heart beating so fast that I assume it had to be pumping only adrenaline. The wind whooshed past my face as I charged at the man. He heard my footsteps and turned but it was already too late. I rammed my shoulder into his groin and we both fell to the ground. Luckily he let go off the gun as he fell. I grabbed it and ran again without taking a glimpse at the man I had just attacked.

As I ran through the woods, one of the men suddenly jumped out in front of me. Without hesitation, I aimed the gun at him and pulled the trigger. The bullet plunged into his shoulder, sending him to the ground. I jumped over his writhing body and continued running.

I was finally accepting the reality of escape when I heard someone bellow behind me. I quickened my pace in fright. A gunshot echoed through the air but I refused to stop. A sharp pain shot through the back of my leg and fell to the ground, clinching unto my bleeding leg. I turned to see the shooter running towards me. My fear vanished, leaving behind a burning rage. I pointed my pistol at the man and pulled the trigger as many times as I could until he fell to the ground.

I got back on my feet and staggered through the woods. I could hear  the faint yelling of the others as they ran towards the direction of the gunshot. Soon I had completely lost them in the woods and I began to find a way out of the woods. The burning sensation on my leg intensified as I staggered through the woods.

Fate decided to grant me one last fortune and I found a clear path. I took the path and headed towards the road. As I stumbled out of the woods, my legs grew weak and I fell to the ground. I began to crawl relentlessly until my vision blurred and everything went black.

Hey guys, it's been quite some time since I last updated this story but I'm back. I'm working on other projects but I hope to update this story more frequently.

Thanks y'all😍😍......
A special thanks @