Chapter 13: Outbound

{Brie's POV}

We pulled out of the Arden's driveway heading back to the house. The street was empty with only the amber streetlights sitting on both sides of the road. I watched as the Ardens returned back into their home. I turned to Elaine and found her grinning as she drove.

Just then, my eyes flew to the rearview mirror. There was a man standing a few metres behind us. He seemed to be transfixed on our car. He stood there in the middle of the road without making a move. Not even a flinch. I frowned at his reflection and threw my face towards the window. I wasn't in the mood for unnecessary suspicion.

"Real nice family, huh?" Elaine said, cutting off the silence.

"Yeah! Really nice" I commented so it wouldn't seem I had a problem with them.

"I'll like to have a family like that someday" Elaine said then chuckled.

A sense of guilt washed over my tired body. I couldn't tell her that she was probably never going to have a family. I couldn't tell her that her life was going to take a very massive turn that wasn't going to favour her in anyway. I could only smile at her in a quick glance.

We arrived at Elaine's house after a few minutes. When I got into the house, I hurried off to the bathroom to take a shower. As I bathed, I couldn't help but think of a plan that will get me out of there without telling Elaine or anyone that I was from the future. I couldn't imagine myself saying that. I sounded utterly ridiculous to me each time I whispered it to myself. I got out of the shower and changed into a nice pajamas that Elaine had given to me. I went to the living room where Elaine sat, listening to the news on TV.

"You look really tired" Elaine said to me as I fell into the couch next to her.

"Aren't we both tired?" I asked. Elaine responded with a slight nod as she turned her attention back to the television set.

As I walked towards the cushion, there was a knock at the door. Elaine had a confused look on her face as she stared at the door.

"Who's there?" Elaine asked as she moved towards the door. There was no response, only more knocking.

"Who's there?" Elaine yelled with an angry but also scared tone. I guess she was trying her best to hide her fear.

"Ma'am" a male raspy voice replied from outside the door. Elaine turned to me with furrowed brows. I stared back at her with the same confused look which she had in her face.

"Ma'am?" The voice called out again. Elaine mouthed some words to me that I didn't understand but I stood up from the cushion. She pulled the door open but she blocked the entrance.

"What can I do for you?" She asked the man at the door.

"I'm here for Ms. Brie" the man replied. My eyes widened and that was when the realization hit me. No one knew my real name and only the Ardens knew I lived with Elaine.

"Brie?" Elaine asked with genuine confusion.

"Elaine, shut the door!" I yelled out to her. Just as she attempted shut the door, the man shoved her into a couch. He walked into the house, followed by two men. I could tell from the cold glare in their eyes that they were phantoms.

I dashed towards my bedroom. One of the phantoms chased me. I rushed into my room and grabbed the gun. As the phantom entered the room, I squeezed the trigger but the gun made a clicking sound. I stared at the gun in horror. The phantom lunged at me, that was when I saw that the safety was on. As I turned the safety off, the phantom grabbed arms and threw me towards the door. 

My back collided with the hard wooden door, causing a wild pain to rush across my back. I whined and pointed the gun at the phantom. It lurched at me again and I squeezed the trigger again. This time the gunshot rang across the house causing Elaine to scream from the living room. My attacker fell to the ground with a bullet wound in the chest. I headed towards the living room with a sense of confidence. My sweaty grip was held onto the pistol as I entered the room.