Chapter 4: Long Time, No See

{Brie's POV}

I woke up that morning, feeling stronger than usual. I guess I had a good night sleep. The foul stench of the room was replaced by the fragrance of a sweet perfume.

"Finally, you're awake" Elaine said as she put on her black Harley Davidson jacket.

"How long have I been asleep?" I asked.

"I don't know, maybe seven or eight hours" she replied then she buried her hand into her jacket. She tossed a wrapped new toothpaste at me.

"Go wash up, we're leaving"

I stood up and my stomach growled. I moan hungrily, clutching my stomach.

"That's your breakfast, you will have to manage that" she said, pointing at the center table.

I looked at the table to find four granola bars and a bottle of yogurt. I manage to hide my disappointment as I walked to the bathroom. An hour later, I was sitting in the old truck, chewing granola with an open bottle of yogurt on my lap. Elaine locked the house, threw a loaded duffel bag into the back of the truck and climbed into the truck.

"Are you ready?" She asked excitedly.

"Let's go" I said as I swallowed the last piece of my second granola bar.
She set the car into ignition and drove off.

Wednesdays were usually slow for me on a normal day but today it ran faster than a fleeing cheetah. I stared out the window as I gulped the cold, milky liquid. I had no idea where I was going and I had no idea what was waiting for me at my unknown destination. I was blindly riding with a woman I didn't know and running from something I didn't understand. I wondered how my life got so unknown. All I wanted was my old life. I just wanted to live like a normal eighteen year old girl trying to find her way in the university.

We drove around town for a few minutes until we ended up in a cul-de-sac. Elaine halted the car in front of a beige house. She climbed out of the truck and I followed. After grabbing her duffel bag from the back of the truck, she knocked on the front door.

"Who's there?" A rough baritone voice asked from inside the house.

"Open up, Oliver. It's Elaine" she answered. I noticed she felt uncomfortable as footsteps approached the door.

The lock clicked and the door opened slightly. A man peered through the door with a look of doubt and curiosity on his face.

"Elaine! It's really you" he exclaimed in surprise.

Elaine smiled at him, trying to hide her discomfort. He pushed the door open as he ushered us in. We walked through a small passage into his living room. It almost felt like forever since I walked into a well arranged house. The house smelt of lavender and tomato sauce.

"It really is you" the man said as he stared at Elaine in astonishment.

"In flesh and bone" Elaine said, chuckling.

He sat on a couch just opposite to Elaine's. It was almost like I was invisible. He seemed really surprised to see her.

"How long has it been?" He asked.

"Fifteen years now" she replied, nodding slightly.

"This is insane" he said as he held his head with both hands.

"I know. So how have you been?" She asked.

"I'm not dead yet" he said as he laughed bitterly. Elaine's expression turned to concern.

"Let me get you girls something to eat" he said and went to kitchen. Few minutes later, he returned with two plates of hot spaghetti and meatballs.