Chapter 10: Meeting Eugene

{Elaine's POV}

The convertible hummed softly as we drove across the asphalt. Chelsea had turned on the radio and both ladies were singing along to the music playing. I smiled as they hollered at the top of their voices. The best part about the ride was the admiring gazes that flew our way as we tore past the pedestrians and other drivers.

Soon we were driving through an almost empty road surrounded by massive fields of bushes. The cool breeze slapped my face as I accelerated the car. We travelled further across the fields until we arrived at a slightly narrow pathway on the right side of the road. I took the right, entering into the pathway. I drove further into the woodlands while the girls grow silent as they watched. We arrived at an open space with a small warehouse sitting at the center of the field. The girls gawked at the structure as I halted the car.

"Wait, so this Eugene lives in a warehouse situated in the woods?" Brie asked trying to confirm her fear.

"Yes he does. You'll like it here" I said, replying sarcastically.

"I hate this place already" Chelsea mumbled under her breath.

I stepped out of the car and walked over to the metal door. As I knocked, the pain in my broken ribs taunted me. I heard movement and clattering inside the warehouse. Brie and Chelsea were now standing behind eyeing the door, preparing to stare daggers into the occupant of the warehouse.

Slowly, the metal door rolled up. A short fat man with rough hair stepped out. He displayed his slightly yellow teeth at me.

"Elaine! It's so good to see you" he exclaimed, hugging me almost immediately. I hugged him back for a few seconds before pulling away.

"Meet Brie and Chelsea" I said pointing at the girls. "Girls meet Eugene"

"Hi!" Eugene greeted, offering his grease stained hand for a handshake. The lady ignored his handshake without a nod.

"Come in" Eugene said, ushering us into his home. The first thing I noticed when I entered into the warehouse was the portal machine standing at the far side of the warehouse.

"So why do you live in a warehouse?" Brie asked as her eyes travelled across the interior of the warehouse.

"It's spacious, comfortable and void of people" Eugene quickly replied.

"Really nice" Chelsea said, rolling her eyes.

Eugene led us to the two cushions that sat at the left side of the warehouse. We took our seats but our eyes kept dancing across the warehouse.

"Would you ladies like something to drink?" Eugene asked. We all nodded in approval. I watched as he walked over to the refrigerator right next one of the cushions. He returned with four cold cans of Mountain Dew. We all gulped the drink like we had just travelled across the Sahara.

"Elaine, what brings you here?" Eugene asked once I had lowered the can from my lips. My eyes quickly darted to the portal machine and back to him. He quickly read my facial expression and heaved.

"You must have seen the Phantoms" he said, bowing his head.

"Yeah! And they don't exactly look delightful" I replied.

"I can explain, Elaine" Eugene said as he slowly sat on the cushion just opposite mine.

"Wait, so you are behind those monsters?" Chelsea inquired.

"Actually, Elaine kinda made the passageway for the monsters" Brie whispered to Chelsea. I gave Brie a wicked glare before turning back to Eugene.

"Months ago I began receiving a transmission from the phantom frequency transmitter. It was a person trying to reach out to this side for help. According to this person, he claimed to be trapped in the phantom dimension" Eugene began but paused to see if we were following him.