Chapter 6: Pawnbroker

{Brie's POV}

I stared out the window wondering what life had in store for me. If I'll ever stop running. If I'll ever get to live a normal life. If I'll ever get to see my father.

"That went well" Elaine said sarcastic, breaking the prolonged silence.

"It sure did" I replied, showing no interest in her humour.

"There's someone we need to see" she announced.

"Who?" I asked, rubbing my palm over my sweaty forehead.

She ignored my question. Suspicion flooded my mind as I glared at her. I already had a bad day, I just hoped she wasn't about to make it worse.

"Why are we seeing this person?" I inquired.

She heaved. "He's the only guy that can get us what we need for the trip". My suspicion doubled. My gut told me we were about to meet someone really shady. The rest of the ride was quiet except for the soft hum of the engine.

I stared in awe at the building we were about to enter. Hartley's Pub sat on the left side of the road with various people crawling in to get a drink. I gawked at the building as Elaine got out of the car.

"Come on. You're not gonna sit in there while I go in" she said.

"I think I'm good" I replied with an anxious tone. Elaine pulled my door open and pulled me out, dragging me into the pub. I trailed behind her reluctantly with my heart racing.

A strong stench of alcohol hit my nostrils as I took in a big whiff of air. Everyone seemed to be engrossed in the programme on the television. I couldn't help but study the interior of the building.

"Yo! El!" A black guy yelled as he moved towards us. His grin exposed his fake silver tooth. I stepped back, trying to avoid contact with the weird looking guy.

"I'm here to see Russell" Elaine announced after hugging the young man. He noticed me before he could reply.

"Hi there, I'm Milo" he said to me, offering a handshake. I looked away shyly, ignoring his handshake.

"Milo? Where's Russell?" Elaine asked, regaining his attention.

"H....He's in the office" Milo replied, his eyes still fixed on my anxious face.

"Thanks!" Elaine said before dragging me along, out of Milo's prying eyes. Elaine led me to a door just beside the counter. She winked at the lady behind the counter which earned her warm smile. We walked past the door into a poorly-lit narrow hallway. She knocked on the first door in the hallway.

"Who's there?" A deep baritone voice asked.

"Russell!" Elaine yelled before giggling cheerful.

"Wow! Elaine, come in" the voice replied in an equally cheerful tone. We walked in the office of a burly white man with rough brown hair. His beard was also unkempt. He wore a rumpled Duff beer T-shirt.

"Don't tell you came to work looking like that" Elaine said in disgust.

"No I didn't. I slept here last night" he replied with a huge smile.

"Cheyenne kicked you out the house again"

"Yeah. She's been too emotional since the baby" he explained.

"So you abandoned your pregnant wife at home?" Elaine asked with a scowl.

"Come on, take a seat" he bellowed, ignoring the question. "So who's the pretty girl?"

"She's my daughter" Elaine replied. I gave her a questioning look which she ignored.

He walked over to the refrigerator behind him and brought out three bottles of beer. "What do you mean she's your daughter? You don't have any kids" he said, placing the bottles on the table.

"Um... I don't drink" I said, smiling nervously.

"Oh! My bad" he said, sounding genuinely apologetic. He returned the bottle to the refrigerator.

"So what can I do for you, ladies?" he asked with a big smile.

Elaine dipped her hands into her pocket and drew out a ring. It was a silver ring with a green gem– emerald, maybe– on it. Russell stared at the ring in front of him before facing Elaine again.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"I wanna swap the ring for some money" she replied.

"But I'm not a pawnbroker"

"Well, you are now"

"Elaine, I—"

"I really need the money, Russell" Elaine pleaded. Russell heaved a pitiful sigh before taking the ring and examining it.

"How much do you want for it?" He asked.

"Twenty-five thousand at most" she replied. Russell cocked his head in shock.

"I got only ten to spare" he replied.

"Fine. Make it twenty" she negotiated

"I'll give you fifteen at most. Nothing more"

Elaine sighed before nodding in agreement. They made the exchange and we sat there for an hour while they drank and chatted. Finally, they ended their conversation and we headed back to Oliver's place. I was exhausted from sitting in that pub, saying nothing. My back throbbed as we drove home. I couldn't wait to lie down.

When we entered the cul-de-sac, Elaine saw some men standing in front of Oliver's house. They were all having an argument with the way Oliver barked and demonstrated as he spoke.

"Shit! He found me" Elaine whispered as she slowly reversed the car out of the cul-de-sac without being seen by the men around Oliver.

"Who found you?" I asked.

"We're staying at a motel tonight and headed out tomorrow"

"What! My stuff is in there" I griped.

"Forget it, we can't afford being caught by those men" she responded.

"Are they Phantoms?" I asked.

"No, I'll explain but first we need to get out of here" she said as she turned the car and drove off.

As she drove away from the cul-de-sac, I stared at her wondering what else she could be running from.

Yo! Reader, you've gotten this far. I'm sure you're enjoying the story. Why don't you punch that star below your screen. Really important, Thanks😘😘