Chapter 2: Godmother

Fifteen years ago, this wasn't how Elaine Holt envisioned herself. She had thought that by now she would have won four Noble prize awards. She would have owned her own technology company. She thought that by now she would have been the inspiration of female children all over the world. She thought that by now her name would have travelled across the globe. Infact she had envisaged that at this particular time, she would be in a big conference hall with young people, inspiring them and repeating her success story probably receiving cheers as she went about it. But life didn't exactly go as she had planned

Fifteen years later, she is sitting in a local bar that smelt of booze and weed, face down on the counter with a glass of liquor in front of her. She moaned lazily as she raised her head. She gulped the content of the glass and sighed.

" Hey, Bernie. I'll like another shot" she yelled at the bartender with the cup in her hand.

"I think you've had enough, Elaine"

Those words agitated her greatly. She hated it when bartenders say those words to her.

"Who are you to tell me how many shots I can have? I'm paying for this stuff!" She yelled in anger.

Bernie sighed with pity for the lady as he grabbed the bottle of liquor and went to fill her cup.

"Now that's a tough bitch" a customer behind her said to his friend.

Unfortunately Elaine heard him. She turned slowly, irritation in her expression as her eyes rested on the man.

"Bitch? That's what everyone probably calls your momma" she spat, grinning devilishly at the man. His companion made a funny sound trying to hold an outburst of laughter.

"Mind your tongue, bitch" the man said, rising to his feet.

"And he says it again" Elaine said light-headed.

She rose to her feet and moved towards the annoyed man who was still on his feet. 

"I hate it when assholes like you try to take advantage of ladies like me" she said, leaning against his chest.

The man who was now irritated tried to push her off his body but she quickly ran a knee into his groin with all her might.

"Oww...fuck!" He exclaimed in pain.

She moved backwards awaiting his next move. She had seen this too many times before. It wasn't her first fight with a man at a local bar. Heck, it wasn't even her tenth!

He launched his right fist towards her face. She quickly dodged, grabbing his bottle of beer and smashing it into his face. Everybody in the bar gasped as the bottle crashed into his face. He staggered backwards and fell on a table behind him.
She turned to her stool. Right next to it her aluminum bat sat. She always took her bat wherever she goes. She took against the counter, holding the bat in front of her as she waited for her attacker to charge. He wiped his hand over his face that now had a few cuts on it. He glared at her with fury raging in his eyes. He lunged at her with a bottle of his own. She moved quickly and slammed her bat on his right knee. He roared in pain, falling to the ground as he clutched his broken leg.

Elaine stared down at him, a smirk on her drunken face. She felt satisfied with herself. She buried her hand into her back pocket, pulling out all the money in there. She dumped it on her counter and gulped her last shot of liquor.

"Keep the change, Bernie" she yelled as she walked out of the bar, ignoring the injured man screaming on the floor.

"Don't drink and drive" she said mockingly then she alighted her car and drove off. When she got home, she made her way into her apartment and fell into couch, immediately falling into a deep sleep.