Chapter 7: Road Trip

{Brie's POV}

I rolled over, placing the pillow over my head as the massive beam of sunlight invaded the room. Elaine paced around the motel room for a few seconds before slapping my feet.

"Wake up, sleepyhead" she said. I moaned lazily before pushing the pillow off my head. I yawned loudly, stretching out my stiff joints.

"Go take a shower. We need to leave"

"I'm hungry" I stated.

"Fine. We'll eat before leaving"

We checked out of the motel and drove to a diner few metres away. While Elaine filled the car's fuel tank, I went inside. As I entered, the scent of hot pancakes hit my nostrils. When Elaine finally came in, we ordered some pancakes and hot coffee. I ate hungrily, silencing the constant growling of my stomach. We left the diner after paying for our food, then our trip began.

"I can't believe you stole Oliver's car" I said, when the car started moving.

"I didn't steal it. It was sort of an exchange. His for mine" she countered.

"Who were those guys from last night?" I asked as I studied her demeanor.

She furrowed her brows. " It's a long story"

"Well, we're gonna be together all day so it can't be that long" I responded.

"Fine!"

I smiled and tilted my head to side, waiting for the story to begin.

"Those men were from Boyd Industries. The company sponsored our work on frequency travel" Elaine explained

"So what do they want with you? I thought the project was closed" I inquired with curiosity.

"Closing the project didn't go well with the sponsor. He wanted to keep the machine and continue the project but I told him I destroyed it and he came after me"

"But you didn't really destroy it, did you?" I asked

"No! I gave it to a brilliant friend of mine, Eugene. He hid it from the company and that's where we are going"

We drove out of town in silence. I stared out the window, saying a mental goodbye to my hometown. The sun rose higher in the sky, increasing its scorching beam. My mouth dried up, leaving a bitter taste. We got to a retail store where I begged Elaine to buy me a drink to quench my thirst. She reluctantly agreed then went into the store while I followed behind her.

As we entered the store, we met an uncomfortable shopkeeper who scratching the back of his neck as he gazed at the three teenage boys roaming around his store.

"Come on, Gavin. Take something and leave" the shopkeeper said.

A tall, rough looking teenager answered rudely with a mischievous smirk. "Be quiet, Joe. My Dad owns this place"

Elaine scowled as she walked up to the counter. She couldn't hide the disgust she felt towards the rude teenager. I stood next to her, ignoring the astonished eyes of the teenagers as they gawked at me.

"Hi there! I'll like a pack of canned Sprite" Elaine said. The man nodded and left the counter. He returned from one of the shelves with Elaine's order.

"And a two bottled water, please" she said with a smile.

I stood by her, staring at the Sprite when I heard a wolf whistle behind me. One of the boys were walking closer to the counter.

"Hey, beautiful" the 'Gavin' boy called out. I was about when Elaine held my wrist, urging me to ignore him.

"Hard to get, huh?" He said, before placing his hand on my shoulder.

Elaine slapped his hand off my shoulder. "Get your fucking hand off my daughter!" She yelled.

Daughter?

I froze. Things were about to get really messy for this Gavin dude.

"What the heck, lady!" he hollered.

"Touch her again and I'm sending you to intensive care" Elaine threatened. The other boys walked up behind their presumed leader, trying to look menacing.

Elaine chuckled at the sight. "You boys think you're tough, huh?"

Shit was about to hit the roof. I turned around and nudged her. "Let's get out of here, we don't want any trouble"

I turned towards the door, hoping that Elaine was behind me but I was highly disappointed.

"On second thought, I do want trouble. I want a truckload of it" she said, glaring at the boys. I gawked in amazement and fright. She was now in full Elaine mode.

"You boys are lucky Freddie isn't here" she continued.

Freddie? Who's that?

"And who the fuck is Freddie?" Gavin asked while I wondered.

"Just let the ladies go" the silent shopkeeper said.

I jumped into the car, still wondering who Freddie was. Once Elaine got into the car, I gave in to my curiosity.

"Who's Freddie?"

She chuckled. She got out of the car again. I heard the bonnet open and close. She returned wielding an aluminum bat.

"No way! You were gonna bludgeon those kids with that" I said, pointing at the aluminum bat.

"Freddie has no age restrictions" she said smiling. "Do you think I was bluffing about intensive care?"

"You're crazy" I uttered.

"You have no idea"

I smiled as I turned back to the road. I really had no idea.

Yo! Please don't fail to punch that little star below your screen. Really important 😘