Chapter 12: Dinner With The Ardens

{Brie's POV}

"Jackie, meet my over-zealous partner, Doctor Edgar Arden" Elaine said to me while staring at my father.

My joints froze instantly. Cold sweats trickled down my forehead. I opened my mouth but my throat seemed to have shrunk. I was looking at my father for the first time in a very long time.

"Jackie, are you alright?" My father asked me with a look of concern plastered across his face. I chuckled nervously before stretching out my hand for a handshake. He shook my sweaty hand before turning back to Elaine.

"Come on, we're almost ready" he said. Elaine nodded and we both watched him walk away towards the group of scientists working on the huge portal machine.

Just then, a man in a blue tuxedo entered into the room. He was escorted by three muscly men all dressed in black tuxedos. He moved towards my father in a very proud and confident manner. Crowned with prestige, he walked up to my father who heartily greeted him.

"Mr Banner, it's always good to see you" my father said with a big smile.

"Same here, my friend. How is the project going so far?" Banner asked, glancing at the huge machine.

"We've made tremendous progress so far. There is no need to debrief me now. I'll be at your office at the end of today" my father replied, the smile growing even bigger.

"Alright then, I'll be waiting" Banner said with a nod. He took one last glance at the machine before leaving. Just before he left, he nodded and winked at Elaine.

"I almost can't stand that guy" Elaine whispered to me.

"Who is he?" I inquired.

"Our sponsor. Every dime used in this project comes from his pocket" she replied with a hint of disgust towards the man.

Even though, I wasn't allowed to be in the laboratory when the experiments began but Elaine helped me secure a spot at a corner in the laboratory. I watched as the scientist powered up the machine. Just like the one that Eugene had used to send me back in time, electric sparks generated into light holes held in place by a huge ring. I watched as a doctor checked my father's vitals and temperature. After which he took off his lab coat and strapped a small bag behind his back. He muttered a few words to his colleague before heading towards the portal machine.

As I watched him go through the portal, I felt a shiver of fear run down my spine but it was quickly replaced by a slight sense of relief. I was afraid because I knew that a day would come when he would return but I was a bit relieved that it wasn't while I was here— Or is it?

I leapt from my chair, heading towards Elaine. I had to know if she had ventured to the phantom dimension before now. I grabbed Elaine, spinning her towards me.

"I need to know if you've ever gone in there before?" I asked desperately. Elaine gave me an uncomfortable smile before replying.

"Not yet but hopefully soon" she said, causing me to release a relieved breath. I smiled at her before returning back to my chair at the other side of the room.

I spent the rest of my day watching the bright circular portal, waiting for my father to walk out of it. After several hours of idle staring, my father finally walked out of the portal. He had a big satisfied grin on his face as he stepped out. Most of the scientist started clapping and bellowing over his successful return. I watched him walk up to Elaine and whisper in her ears. She giggled and nodded at him before he walked away.

After a few more hours, the laboratory was finally closing and all experiments were suspended. It was the most boring day of my life but at least I got to see my father. Soon I was walking beside Elaine as we made out way to the car park. Once we had entered the vehicle, Elaine cleared her throat loudly to get my attention.