27. Just Friends

Brian's POV

She wasn't really herself today. I could tell.

Her spirit was low. And her expression was down. I waited till the break to ask what's wrong, and when i was about to ask her, she bumped into me.

"Sorry about th-" She looked at me in surprise.

"I never knew you were capable of apologizing." I teased.

"Brian..." She rolled her eyes at me.

"What? You're not happy to see me?"

Her face looked a little pale. Is she sick?

"I see you almost 24/7. It's sickening."

"Ouch. That hurt my heart Santini."

"Why do you always call me Santini or "love" anyway?" She suddenly asked me.

Honestly it was just how I addressed her the first day we met. I never thought about it any deeper. "Love" was simple because she was beautiful, and it fitted her.

"Why? Would you like me to call you something else?" I went to my usual self and flirted.

"Forget I asked." She pushed me away and continued walking.

"I just got used to it i guess." I held onto her arms to stop her.

She's weak. She's not well today. It might be dangerous to leave her alone.

"I can always call you Carmen." I grinned.

I saw her cheeks turning bright red and decided to tease her a little.

"Are you blushing Santini?" He joked.

She looked me looking very annoyed. Damn she's on edge today.

"I'm just teasing you calm down."

Just then, Santini elbowed me in the stomach. I was caught by surprise and barely managed to react. She then tried to punch me in the face but I grabbed her clenched fist and twisted her arm, it was at least a good amount of pain to force her not to attack again.

Her muscles relaxed as she sighed in defeat. Her moves weren't smart today..

"You okay?" I asked as i let her go.

"I don't know." She spoke as all of a sudden, she leaned on me.

I blushed almost immediately. My heart was probably pounding furiously. Why did she suddenly lean on me?!

God Santini you're gonna give me a heart attack!

All of her weight was pressed on my chest, but god she weighed like a feather. I wanted to hug her and support her. But god knows what she'll do if I did that. She was breathing heavily and I was starting to get really worried.

"You on your period or something?" I tried to lighten her mood.

"That's the first thing you think of?" She laughed slightly.

"I don't know. I'm just guessing." I shrugged,

"I'm just tired..very tired..." She slowly started to close her eyes.

I saw her subconsciously placing her head closer to my heart area. Is she hearing my heartbeat?!

She started to smile and her cheeks were a little pink. She had little beads of sweat running down her face. But her position started to slump down.

"Santini? Santini? Carmen!!" I tried to gather her conscious.

And then her energy drained out and she collapsed. Thank god I caught her before she fell.

I quickly scooped her up in my arms and hurried back to the base infirmacy.

.

.

.

.

.

"Thank god it was just a minor blackout. Has she been eating well these days?" the doctor asked.

"I thought she was."

"Well she lacks some nutrition in her body. You have to remind her to eat three meals a day, and drink more water. The sun's up high these days so she may have lost conscious due to dehydration." The doctor explained.

"I will doc. Thanks."

He nodded before leaving.

I waited before calling out, "Alright you three, come out. I know you're there."

Len, Kayden and Alexandro came out of the shadows.

"How's Ms Santini?" Len asked worriedly.

"Is she okay?" Alexandro asked.

"Yeah she's fine. Just lack nutrition in her body." I said.

"Thank god she's alright. When the comrades knew Ms Santini had fainted, they were worried to death." Kayden heaved a sigh of relief.

"They were?"

"Of course! We all love Ms Santini!" Len exclaimed.

"Well you tell them she's fine. You should get back to training. I'll stay with her."

"Is Mr Garcia being caring?" Alexandro teased.

"Scram you three. Before I make you shoot a hundred red targets before bookout."

And they ran out quickly.

I sighed and looked at Santini. Her face was less pale and she seemed calmer.

"God you scared me for a second time again you silly girl." I tugged her hair behind her ear.

"How many times you gotta make me worry about you huh?" I whispered.

"I just wish you would let me protect you. It pains my heart don't you know." I sighed.

I leaned towards her and gave a slight kiss on her forehead. That was when I realized those little precious tears falling down her cheeks.

A nightmare?

I wiped her tears away and held her hand tight.

"I'm here. Don't worry." I kissed her hand and sat down beside her.

Before I knew it, i fell asleep.

Carmen's POV

I woke up to a warm sensation on my right hand. I looked at my right side and saw Brian lying next to me holding my hand tight.

I couldn't help but smile at him.

He looked so peaceful when he sleeping. Subconsciously, I reached to touch his hair but at the first touch, without looking at me, he grabbed my hand. I gasped in shock and tried to get out of his grasp.

"What are you doing Santini?"

"N-nothing."

He looked at me with worry written all over his face.

"Are you feeling better?" He asked me.

"Y-yeah. But you didn't have to stay you know..." I muttered under my breath.

"What?"

"Nothing! T-thanks.."

"You're welcome. Just don't worry me like that again."

"You were worried?"

"Of course. Why wouldn't I?"

"I mean..we're just friends."

"So because we're just friends, I'm not allowed to worry about you?" He leaned closer to me.

"I'm not saying that..." I leaned back and looked away.

"Then.. if we're more than friends, will I be allowed to worry about you?" 

~ Chapter 28 out on 6th July 2020 ~