The Monticello Brothers

© 2016 SilverStream22. All Rights Reserved.

~

  So I put my faith in something unknown 

I'm living on such sweet nothing

But I'm tired of hope with nothing to hold  

~

"Faye, honey, it's so good to see you!"

Surprise flourished through me when my flamboyant adoptive mother rushed into my dorm room, wrapping me in the smell of sage and lavender. Her mardi gras beads pressed into the skin of my decolletage. She smothered me with kisses on my face.

"Molly?" I blinked as I took a step back so she could enter. "What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean, silly? Don't tell me you forgot?"

I rubbed my temples. "Please explain. I have finals coming up, I can't entertain right now even if I wanted to."

"Finals can wait!" she pushed my shoulder with the widest grin on her face. "Your birthday is tomorrow!"

I groaned, closing the door as my college room mate quickly fled before Molly could suffocate her with hugs as well. "Don't remind me. I'm sorry, but I'm not hosting a party."

"That's okay, I'll do it instead."

"What? No! That's not what I meant. Molly, please."

"Don't worry, Beau is coming too." she assured quickly.

That's not who I'm waiting for.

Ever since we were children in daycare, Molly has tried to put Beau and I together after she adopted me since I was the only child at the daycare who misbehaved like hell. The only person I did trust was Molly, who worked at the daycare part time. But every now and then, the two people I trusted just as much as Molly and Beau showed up. The last time I recalled seeing them was after they visited New York with several others who had the same eye color as them except for a girl with black hair. Molly said that they got permission from the daycare to visit me now and then, but I could hardly remember their faces, much less their voices. All I could remember was striking silver eyes. They both used to take care of me when Molly had night shifts at the hospital. If I stay past curfew, they would suddenly appear and scoop me in their arms, taking turns to put me to sleep.

"Where's your tea, darling?"

I snapped out of my past, turning to see her in the kitchen, tearing open the cupboards.

Uh oh.

"I sort of...don't have tea."

She paused, turning mechanically to me. "You...you what?"

"I'll go pick up some right now, I swear." I quickly snatched up the keys to my '67 Chevy Impala. "Earl Grey, right?"

She huffed. "You better hurry, missy. It's almost tea time!"

I gave a quick salute as I walked out of the door. "Yes, ma'am."

Taking the stairs two at a time, I quickly found my car and headed straight for the supermarket, keeping in mind not to wear out the ancient tires. Despite her age, I loved Danika, she was the best and only car I ever had. A firm pat on the headboard after I had pulled into a parking spot was my farewell as I got out and closed the door gently.

The supermarket was generous with it's offers this month, and I was ever so grateful since money was tight at my part time job in Wanda's Bookstore.