vingt-quatre

As soon as the phone was hooked back on the wall, the girl with silvery-blue hair turned to the brunette whose face was still holding the look of confusion.

"What the hell is he doing here?" Scarlette mumbled more dumbfounded than ever. 

Ocean sensed her tone and wanted to retaliate but knew now wasn't the time, so she simply shook her head and tucked her hair behind her ears as she quickly said, "Just be nice, okay?"

"You're telling me?" Scarlette's lip curled as her eyes widened, unable to comprehend why Ocean was acting in such a bizzare way. Because, frankly, it was bizzare; Scarlette was only ever used to Ocean being angry and even had her fair share of her famous fiery temper, so the fact that it was she who was telling her to be nice this time threw her off completely. 

However, before Ocean could say anyhting, there was a knock on the door. 

With a pointed look being thrown at Scarlette, Ocean curled her hand around the handle and opened the door. Her features suddenly brightened, as if nothing had gone wrong that day, as if no previous event had tampered her mood. 

Blue against blue, their eyes connected for a brief moment without a mutter of a word. It was when Ocean blinked, that her smile widened and let a hasty word of 'hello' stumble from her pale lips. 

Niall was mesmerised with the way her mood had blossomed like a flower in spring. The way her rare smile brightened the Winter days around him, and her eyes warmed his heart faster than any burning fire would. 

But as his eyes suddenly registered Ocean's sucking of her finger, the confusion he had experienced when he heard her voice through the interphone came rushing back. His eyes turned a misty blue, as concern flamed behind them. 

"Wha' happened? You're bleedin'!" He said stepping closer to her, and looking at her bloody finger. 

"Oh, it's nothing," She waved it off, "I'm fine."

"It doesn't look fine; let me see!" He extended his hand forward, waiting for Ocean to accept and place her hand on his palm. 

"I said, I'm fine." She snapped, keeping her hand close to her chest, "Honestly." She said much calmer, realising the harsh tone she had used. 

"Can anybody fill me in? What the hell is this?!" Scarlette's voice suddenly interrupted the conversation, as both parties became aware of her presence in the room. 

"You've seen him before Scarlette..." Ocean replied nonchalantly, as if it wasn't such a big deal and as though her flatmate was overreacting.

"But I don't think we've been properly introduced though," Niall twitched before winking at Ocean who rolled her eyes. He then stepped closer to Scarlette and held out his hand to the brunette, "Hello, I'm Niall."

"Scarlette," She replied dryly as she shook his hand, yet her face still looked lost.

"Nice to meet ya!" Niall grinned before allowing the girl to pull her hand away.

"Pleasure." She muttered in the most monotone voice she could muster as her eyebrows raised at Ocean. 

When Scarlette's face turned to look at the girl, Niall could see the red mark on her cheek and it was obvious that it was from getting hit, as he could clearly see a faded mark of a hand printed on her soar skin.

"Wha' the hell happened 'ere?" He suddenly asked more forcefully, wanting to find out what had been going on before he arrived. 

"Nothing," Ocean muttered a little too quickly.