Chapter Three

"Dan!" Phil called after the eighteen year old running to stop him. "Why won't you talk to me?" Phil asked standing in front of him. Dan pulled out his phone again.

Dan: I am

Phil sighed checking his phone. "Dan, I mean why aren't you using your voice?" Phil frowned. Dan opened his mouth shaking his head. "Please Dan explain it to me" Phil pleaded. "I-" Dan looked down. "We-" Dan groaned trying to piece together a sentence. Phil put his hands in his jacket pocket. He silently waited for Dan to speak again. "We do things a couple does! But why, aren't we friends?" Dan started to spiral trying to push Phil out of the way. "Dan" Phil hugged Dan close to him "it's okay. Breathe." Dan buried his face against Phil's shoulder.

Dan's body shook as he squeezed his eyes shut. "Let's go to the courtyard." Phil lead Dan to the courtyard. "Breathe in the fresh air" Phil spoke softly sitting Dan down on a bench. Dan sighed breathing in before letting out a shaky breath. Phil pointed to the space next to Dan "can I sit near you?" He asked timid Dan would run or shout at him. Instead Dan nodded letting Phil sit next to him.

"Phil, I don't understand what is happening between us. It seems like a lot. I don't feel like we're friends anymore and I don't enjoy labels that define me as someone I may not be." Dan leaned his head back to look at the clouds that hung above him in the sky.

"I-that's-" Phil stuttered trying to help but frowned when he failed. "I'm sorry you feel that way." Phil shook his head as he stood up. "Maybe we need to stop hanging out." Phil slumped his shoulders as he handed Dan the letter back before he walked away.