Chapter 25--Let's Pretend My Tears Are Raindrops

This one took slightly longer, but I hope you didn't mind the wait too much. I'd appreciate the votes and comments and fans and likes and tweets, but if you're sooooo lazy that you absolutely cannot spare your fingers the simple click of a mouse, well, that's a personal choice. Just as long as you read it and liked it, it makes this worth-while. You can hopefully expect more uploads very very soon because I'm already almost done with chapter twenty-eight, but I'm taking longer to upload because I don't want to give you a billion chapters to read at once. Also, I'm wrapping the story up and these next chapter are your last chance to sway the ending, so if you have any opinions, LET ME KNOW!!!!

Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

Read, Vote, Fan, Like, Tweet, Blog, but--

ENJOYYYYY!!!!

<3,

Kayce

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Chapter 25

     In my peripheral vision I saw Derek's jaw drop. I'd known that I shouldn't have told him what I'd been thinking. There was an icy silence that was so tempting to break that I had to. I needed to know something.

     "Can you tell me something honestly?" I asked.

     "I guess so." He whispered.

     "What are you thinking?" I reversed his question.

     "Sam..." I knew I shouldn't have asked. In all honesty I'd probably just scared off my own best friend. Could I even live without Derek after all the secrets we'd shared?

     No.

     "Do I really have to answer that?"

     Outside it was snowing so I could barely hear him over the squeaky windshield wipers.

     "If you don't want to I won't be angry." I murmured, not sure what to feel.

     "I'm sorry." Looking in the rear-view I saw mixed emotions flash across his dark brown eyes: sadness, then regret, then wonder, followed by frustration. "I just can't." He was almost inaudible.

     "It's alright."

     Minutes passed and miles flew by. The icy silence faded into a more comfortable silence while I listened to the snowy slush whip against the tires. I was amazed at Derek's winter driving skills. He didn't even skid or swerve one bit and in a way I was actually impressed.

     The next thing I knew we were in the driveway of an adorable little steakhouse in a city called Munising. When I stepped out of the vehicle a gusty wind nipped my face. I used Derek as a wind-block, leaning my head against his shoulder. Derek had no immediate reaction, but for whatever reason he stopped there in the parking lot before entering the large brick structure of a building.

     Inside it was actually a little less hick-ish than I'd expected. There was a bar in the front, but I'd noticed that most restaurants in Michigan, or at least the upper peninsula, were like that: a Hodge-podge of Happy Hour. Most of the customers tended to be snowmobilers from other states who were trying to decide which bar offered the best cocktail.

      "Can I help you?" an old lady directed her attention towards me. I wasn't sure what to say so I glanced up at Derek who was staring at the wall.

     "Um..." I said, winging it. "A table for...two." I gulped at the sound of my own words.

     'Oh Brandon,' I thought, 'How pissed off are you right now?'