Chapter 20

A/N Hellooooooooooo!  How are you guys?  I hope you like my story because I love writing so much.  And that's all I had to say, you can read now. (If you weren't already)

Fitz's POV

Turning around quickly, we all looked to see who was calling out names.  "Over here, ladies and gentlemen."

We spotted a short blonde lady gesturing towards the six of us and trying to get us to the desk in the corner.  "Yes, Ma'am?"  I responded to her and led our group to the desk, I was trembling with fear.  What if Sophie wasn't on my list? I kept trying to be positive, but that thought found its way back into my mind.

"Fitz... FITZ?"  I shook as I got out of my trans recognizing a golden-eyed girl talking to me, "Fitz are you okay?  We lost you for a second there."

I nodded shakily, causing Sophie to hold me up and give me a worried glance.  She seemed to know what was swirling in my mind, as she slipped into my mind.

Fitz, don't worry... I know we're going to get each other on our list

Yeah Soph, but what if w-

We will... just keep telling yourself that okay?

She raised her eyebrow, waiting for me to acknowledge that statement.  I swiftly nodded, now giving all my attention to the lady giving us directions.

"Okay, so you guys are here for your appointment, and I want you to go to that room," she gestured towards a darkroom in the corner, and continued, "There will be 6 people waiting for each of you.  You will separate, answer questions, and then walk out of here with a smile on your face, alright?"

"Yes, thank you!" We replied to her in unison while making our way to the gloomy room.  

"Are you guys excited?" my sister was so weird about this stuff, I rolled my eyes and switched to room lights on.

"Ahhhhhh!" Sophie jumped on me and I held her still.  She probably was scared because of the 6 people standing like a statue with their hands behind their back.  I could feel her raised heartbeat and I kept my hand on her shoulder.

Soph, you good?

Yeah, Fitz just startled by the people standing in front of us like a stone.

A laugh slipped out of my mouth earning me and Sophie a bunch of curious faces and raised eyebrows.  Sophie hid behind me while I tried to look for words, but the only thing that I could manage to mutter was, "What?  Let's get started with this."  

"Okay then, Sophie, follow me into this room please."  Afterward, overlapping voices each called their assigned teenager into a room we were off.  As if my destiny were a matchmaking scroll, I transmitted to Sophie one last time.

Good luck Soph!  

You too Fitz... and stop worrying, we'll be fine.

"Okay, Fitzroy Avery Vacker... I want you to just start out by telling me about a few people you would like to see on your matchmaking list and why." The lady questioned me.  This was my chance to show her that the only person I wanted was Soph.

"I would love to see Sophie Elizabeth Foster-Ruewen on my list because she is the best girl I could ask for.  Kind, passionate, determined, humble, friendly, and she make me confident when I'm with her.  I couldn't imagine being with any other person than her."  I smiled at my explanation internally celebrating.

The lady also smiled but kept nodding her head trying to get me to say some other girls too.  Realizing, I started, "I wouldn't want any other girl other than her.  I'd rather be with  no one than anyone else but Sophie."

Letting out a breath, I followed my person out the door to a waiting room where I found Linh and Marella discussing their meetings.  Not wanting to intrude, I took my seat next to them waiting for Sophie to walk out the door.  But she didn't.  In fact, everyone but Sophie walked out the door.

"Where's Sop-"

"I'M HERE!" She breathlessly yelled getting confused looks from adults and matchmakers right away.  Turning red, she ran towards me.  "Sorry, just had some business to take care of."

She smirked at Biana thinking I didn't see, but I knew they were probably playing some kind of prank on me.

Soon after an awkward moment of silence, we heard a bell ring and a person started to hand out scrolls.  At last, was our group, "Sophie, Biana, Linh, Marella, Fita, Tam, Dex, and Keefe?"

Squeezing Sophie's hand, I walked up to take my scroll.  I was ready, no matter what it was, because who cared what a stupid scroll said?  I was not going to let it separate Sophie and me.

I reached for the seal at the top like everybody else, taking out the beautiful golden paper with black lettering saying, "Fitzroy Avery Vacker's Top Choices"

Not caring of who my other numbers were, I took a peek at number 1... it was Stina Heks.  I started to breathe harder, and harder while looking at all the numbers up to 50, and nowhere, did I see Sophie.  

Tears welled up in my eyes, and I dropped the letter sprinting out of the office to Everglen.  Through the lush green woods, I ran, stopping at no other place than the waterfall.  Dipping my legs into the pond, I yelled, kicked, punched, no of which could describe my anger.

It must have a few hours when my body was cooled off, but my mind still raging, when a sharp voice much like my own called for me, "Fitz?" at first soft, then yelling when getting closer to me, "FITZ?"

I managed to mumble yes and my father ran to me, "You have to come right now son, it was a prank all of us set up, and we didn't think you'd take it so seriously." he took a breath before again continuing, "Sophie is back at Everglen, not speaking to anyone... we need you right now."

Not thinking of anything else but the fact Sophie was beating her self for me leaving, I ran.  I didn't care about going barefoot through the forest with sharp thorns and sticks, nor did i care about leaving my father behind.

After a few minutes, I landed upon a meadow with a figure on the other side.  As I got closer and closer, I realized it was my girlfriend Sophie, the delicate girl who I loved with all my heart...

And today, she was emotionless, her golden eyes showing nothing and her soft skin cold and hard.  She stared, and there could only be one cause... Guilt.

A/N 1115 words!  And also, I know you guys hate me now, but hey, we all disliked Shannon Messenger for her cliffhanger at the end of book 8 right?  So just wait till tomorrow, and yeah.  Thank you for reading and stay safe!  Adios people!