one

Part One - Age of Ultron.

"He liked her with long hair, so she cut it short."

Aphrodite Harper.

I held the pair of scissors to my hair, staring at my reflection in the mirror.

It flowed down to my ribs, and I hated it.

I always have, but it was long for a reason.

"Aphrodite, girls need to have long hair to be beautiful, you know that."

With one last look in the mirror, I made up my mind.

This long hair has to go.

"Darling you know I love you, but maybe put some more makeup on?"

I took a lock of my hair, and cut it.

"Dite, can you change? I don't want to be seen with you if you wear that."

I started snipping it all off, making sure it stopped at my shoulders.

I always wanted it to be shoulder length, but my fiance wouldn't allow it.

"I don't like that guy, I don't want you talking to him."

He thought he could control everything about me. My hair, my makeup, my clothes, my friends, my life.

He could, and that was the hardest part.

I'd let him control everything about my life up until now, but not anymore.

I've wasted my life listening to Danny.

We started dating when I was 18 years old, and today was my 25th birthday, but he's wasn't even here, the asshole said he had to work.

Danny left me a note this morning saying he was working until 8, but he'd meet me at the beer garden for my birthday party.

It wasn't really a party though. Danny was very controlling over my friends, so it was just him, me, and a few others having some drinks.

But since he wasn't here right now, I thought I'd give myself a little birthday present, resulting in me standing in the bathroom, chopping my hair to the length that I fucking wanted it to be.

I was gonna dress the way I wanted to dress, and he can't do anything about it because it's my birthday. Mine.

Admittedly, there was a small part of me that felt slightly bad about doing all of this behind Danny's back, but it wouldn't be the first time we've hidden stuff from eachother.

We've been together for seven years, and he says he's always been honest with me, but I have my doubts.

Sometimes he works late, sometimes he gets mad at me for asking about it.

I've hidden stuff from him too, though.

He doesn't know that I still text old friends he's banned me from talking to, and he doesn't know about my powers.

I was born with a certain, skill set, that I haven't told anyone about.

When I was nine, a girl shoved me on the soccer field, and I sent a gush of wind that blew her to the other side of the field.

When I was twelve, I accidentally set the living room couch on fire during a fight with my dad.

When I was fourteen, I went hiking with my mum. We got lost, and I made a tunnel to walk from one side of the mountain to the other.

When I was seventeen, I was hit by a wave and thought I was going to drown, but I got pushed through the water to the sand by an unknown force.

I came to a realisation after that, that I was an elemental.