thirty nine

"And that was her magic. She could still see the sunset, even on the darkest of days."

Aphrodite Harper.

We had walked off the ring ship, and took our time observing Titan.

It was an odd looking planet.

It was abandoned, and it looked incredibly old.

Quill appeared to be measuring the tilt of the planet, and I was watching Mantis jumping up and down, but it looked almost like there was low gravity there.

Only that specific spot, though.

How odd.

I walked over to Mantis, wanting to know more about her.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, what are you?" I asked Mantis, who stopped jumping to talk to me, giving me a blank expression.

It wasn't a rude one though, I could tell that was just how she looked.

"I am an empath." She said simply, and I looked at her, confused.

"So you like, feel what people feel?" I asked, and she nodded, looking excited.

"People typically think I am a mind reader, but I do not read thoughts." Mantis said, and I tapped my chin.

"That's cool. Can you do it on me?" I asked, and she nodded, hovering her hand over my arm, asking for permission to tough me.

I just nodded at her, and she placed her hand lightly on my forearm, and I watched in awe as her antennae began glowing at the tips.

How strange.

It's incredible, though.

I never thought I would meet aliens in my lifetime.

"You are worried about the conflict we are about to face." Mantis said, and I shrugged.

Aren't we all.

"But you are excited, for what will happen afterwards. You feel love, for the older man and for the younger boy. They are different kinds of love." She continued, making me look at her, waiting for her to go on.

"You feel an adoration for the younger man, but you feel a lifelong devotion to the older one." Mantis said, and I smiled.

"Tony is my fiance. Peter is our son." I said, and she nodded.

"I feel it." Mantis said, and closed her eyes.

"You feel a sense of abandonment." She said, making my blood run cold.

"You have put your faith in several people that have let you down over the years."

I knew she felt my feelings towards Danny, and probably towards Steve.

She's good, I'll give her that.

"You feel deep loss." Mantis continued, and my thoughts ran to my parents, knowing that's what she'd felt.

"How can you even feel that?" I asked, and she shrugged.

"I'm not sure. It's just what I do." Mantis answered, making me fall silent as she took her hand off my arm.