eighteen

"You can't calm the storm, so stop trying. All you can do is calm yourself and wait for the storm to pass."

Aphrodite Harper.

'Hey Tones, the funeral went smoothly, Steve is doing okay. He said Sam was taking him out to get his mind off Peggy, so they'll be gone for a while. I left London with Nat, and landed in Vienna a few hours ago. Sorry for not updating you earlier, I'm at the Accord signing now. Hope things are going alright with Rhodey. xx'

'Hi honey, Rhodes and I took care of Wanda, everything is going smoothly. You okay? xx'

'Yeah I'm alright. I need to go, I'll text you after I've signed. xx'

'Copy that sweetheart. xx'

I put my phone in my back pocket, walking through the double doors to the conference, Nat by my side.

A United Nations employee walked up to us, looking professional.

"Excuse me, Miss Harper, Miss Romanoff?" She asked, and I looked at her.

"Yes?" Nat asked, and the employee handed us a form each.

"These need your signatures." She said, and I nodded.

A man walked over to us, looking very proper, and thanked the employee, dismissing her.

I realised quickly that it was T'Challa, son of King T'Chaka of Wakanda.

"Thanks." I said, and T'Challa nodded.

"I suppose neither of us is used to the spotlight." He addressed us, and Nat smiled.

"Not really, not like this." I agreed, and Nat nodded.

"Oh, well, it's not always so flattering." She admitted, and T'Challa nodded.

"You seem to be doing alright so far. Especially you, Miss Romanoff, considering your last trip to Capitol Hill, I wouldn't think you would be particularly comfortable in this company."

"Well, I'm not." She responded, and T'Challa smiled.

"That alone makes me glad you're here, both of you, of course." He said politely and I gave him a soft smile.

"Why? You don't approve of all this?" I asked, and he shrugged.

"The Accords, yes. The politics, not really. Two people in a room can get more done than a hundred." T'Challa said, and I smiled as King T'Chaka walked up to us, inviting himself into the conversation.

"Unless you need to move a piano."

The two exchanged a small greeting, before he acknowledged Nat and I.

"King T'Chaka, how are you today?" I greeted, and he nodded at me.

"I'm feeling accomplished today, yourself Miss Harper?" He asked, and I smiled.

"Very much the same."

"King T'Chaka. Please, allow me to apologize for what happened in Nigeria." Nat said politely, and he smiled slightly.

"Thank you. Thank you for agreeing to all this. I'm sad to hear that Captain Rogers will not be joining us today."

I frowned, looking away for a moment.

"Yes, so am I." Nat said easily.

A voice came through the speakers, and I tuned in.

"If everyone could please be seated. This assembly is now in session."

"That is the future calling. Such a pleasure." T'Challa said, and I nodded, smiling.

Nat and I sat together as King T'Chaka stood at the podium, T'Challa standing off to his side.