Chapter 3

Minji was insistent that you go to the art museum today because it was a free day and young souls like yourself should be out and enjoying the beauty that the world has to offer, in her own words. As nice as that sounded, there was a part of you that lingered for the comforting smell of pastries and the ability to reach for one anytime you would like. But since she practically kicked you out of the bakery, you had no other choice but to walk on to the glimmering museum in the heart of the city.

You were glad that you wore something decent, it wasn't your bakery uniform or the photography session attire. Looking at yourself in the reflections of stores, it made sense why people want to dress up. It was not necessary to impress anyone, but it felt nice to be wearing something flattering to your body and spirit. You especially loved the way the small purple flower pattern long skirt made every step felt like walking on a field of grass. In accompaniment with your white converse, you marched on.

The sun was blazing, and you found refuge under every tall spouting tree you could find along the sidewalk. Pink and white flowers bloomed on the trees like jewels. It wasn't time for them to fall just yet, and you hoped they would remain intact until his birthday so that he could enjoy the sight. Whenever you took a step, you often wonder, in the most naive sense, if he had walked on the same path before and if he had seen what you saw. And if he has, would your perceptions be different? For one day, an hour, a minute, you would like to talk to him about that. Getting back to reality, you wanted to slap yourself for having delusions like this.

The combination of a free entrance along with warm weather caused practically everyone in the city to be lined up outside the museum doors. Luckily you got there relatively early enough when the line was just beginning to form but it still took you a while to finally reach the air-conditioned inside. If Hye Jin wasn't at her internship right now, you would have invited her. At the same time, she wasn't much of an art lover. Some of them are too conservative in her opinion.

Bodies filled the lobby, mostly families and couples. Some of the couples might be on their first dates, or in the process of getting to know each other more because they're meant to be together. You always felt weird about it. People change, so maybe the soulmates can change as well. If two people are told they are compatible with their birthdays, does it make their relationship genuine?

Your mom would say yes, she's a romantic at heart. She has a reason to be, you have never seen two people more in love than your parents. If two people are meant to be with each other, then they'll get through any obstacles or distance. Glancing around, you didn't see anyone remaining by their lonesome. You shrugged it off and headed for the first exhibit, entitled Light. The exhibit mainly consisted of different styles of lamps and arrays of colors on the ceilings. In one room, everything was in complete darkness except for the blue light overhead illuminating the floor to look like an ocean. You made shadow birds like a little kid. But at least you weren't the only one. There was a slender man wearing washed-out jeans and a long cardigan that was doing the same thing adjacent to you. His face was covered by his cap, but you could tell he was delighted by the simple activity.

The next exhibition was Reflection. There was a mirror with lights surrounding the borders, one you would see on a movie set. If you stared at it long enough, you started to believe that you were beautiful and worthy of being seen. In the spacious room ahead was what looked like a box, big enough to be a small house. The plague reads Maze and only two people can be in it at a time and they allow 10 minutes for visitors to sit back and reflect. The employee outside said that there was only one person inside, so you would be able to go in.

It wasn't a maze at all, more like a long hallway. The walls, floor, and ceilings were glass and your reflection bounced off every surface possible. It was dizzying and amazing. There was a single light at the end of the hall and while you were too busy taking everything, you bumped into someone sitting on the floor. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," you exclaimed quietly. Looking carefully at the stranger under minimal light, you recognized that it was the man from the other exhibit, with a delicate nose and sharp eyes.

"It's okay," he answered softly. His voice indicated that he was still young, though he tried to mask it by using a lower register. Feeling uncomfortable now, you stood still, nervously looking around. You wanted to stay but you were afraid he wouldn't want that. "Please, don't mind me and sit down." You did as told, not because he was demanding, but he was kind. His eyes wandered the interior, trying his best not to look directly at you, though he wanted to because your eyes were like his, lost. After a few minutes of silence, he opened his mouth again. "What do you think about this?"

You felt compelled to answer him, he felt safe. "I've never looked at myself so much before," you stated. "It's uncomfortable."

"Strange, I feel the same way," he remarked. "Even if it's dark, I feel like there are things I don't want to see. But I have to see myself every day and so do other people."

"Do you not want them to see you?"

"Not all the time," he shrugged.

"That's my biggest fear too, being seen. Because that will subsequently lead to being labeled and expectations. My hobby is to take pictures of idols. I always wear a mask so fans don't recognize me. Once they do, they put their ideals of me on my shoulders and I don't think I can quite be that perfect. If I'm just a blank canvas for them to project whatever they want, I won't feel as bad about myself." You didn't know why you started telling him this, but he nodded intently.

"Blank canvas," he repeated. "I guess that's what I am. But it can't be helped. There are expectations of me."

"I'm sorry to hear that. But I think we're at fault too because we keep running away. That's not how we should live our lives, right?"

"Ideally no." he chuckled. "But in this space right now, I feel like I can finally breathe again. Don't wear a mask next time, and I'll try to do that too." This time, he allowed himself to look at you, taking in your countless reflections until he could piece together the truth that is you. He ingrained your lost eyes in his minds. Just then your phone rang, it was Minji who texted and asked you to come back because of the waves of customers.

"Well it was nice talking to you, and I hope you find your haven that's not a display in a museum." The stranger nodded and watched as you left. He mentally cursed himself for not asking for at least your name, though he could easily find you on social media. But a metallic object on the ground caught his attention, a nametag. He picked it up and shoved it into his pocket.

"Y/N," he hummed. Now he was beyond glad that he Taehyung told him about the free day at the museum.