Chapter 12

"Namjoon, you can let go now," you mumbled into his chest. It had been a good five minutes since your tears had dried and his arms would leave a dent around your body. Namjoon, who had been in bliss while holding you, landed back to reality and released you.

"Sorry," he answered shyly. His cheeks were beyond rosy at this point. You both stared down to the ground, kicking nonexistent dust to avoid the conversation that will follow, well at least you were. Meanwhile, Namjoon was calculating the best course of action right now. There was only one thing he should do. "So if I'm understanding this right, you're fine with me being your match?"

"More than fine," you confessed. "This is like a dream and I'm too afraid to wake up right now. I still feel like this is some sort of joke."

Namjoon bit the corner of his lip and grabbed your hand, squeezing it. You gasped a little, wondering how he knew that would make you feel better. "My mom used to do this for me when I had nightmares," he answered your thoughts. "And now that I'm away from her, the boys took that role. Some are a lot less gentle than others, you can guess who." he chuckled, but then cleared his throat soon after. "But this isn't a joke. You're my Red String match and I am yours."

The confidence in his voice was struck you, "So you want it to be me too?"

"Haven't you noticed?"

"What?"

He tilted his head, resting it against the door frame like a lovesick highschooler. "That I'm head over heels for you." You blinked. The words echoing through your mind. Though you have heard his various confessions through songs, those were reserved for the special person he'll have in his future. Who would have thought that would be you and all of his songs, suddenly gained new meanings.

"You like me?" You always claimed you would be smarter than female leads in the dramas but apparently not. All this time while you had been in the presence of the handsome idol's affection like some sort of fanfiction or daydream of a teenager, you thought he was just being friendly. But you couldn't be the only one to blame, Namjoon is naturally charismatic and kind, you thought of yourself as another one of his companions to escape the fame.

"I like you, Y/N." he said again, this time louder and you could hear some of his songs right now and place yourself in those moments. "Can I take you somewhere?"

"Where?"

"It's a surprise," he winked, to mask his nervousness.

"Okay. Let me go change. Come in first." As you scrambled to your room, Namjoon finally noticed that you were in a fuzzy pajama set and bunny slippers. He couldn't help but thought it was adorable. His mind then wandered to getting a matching pajama set with you one day. The thought made him giggle, so much so that he hadn't noticed you approaching again. This time, in regular street attires with your hair hanging loose over your blouse. Every time he sees you without a mask, it blows him away every feature could be so delicate and perfect. Pretty, he thought. Out loud. "Thank you." you blushed.

Namjoon quickly put on his cap and mask so that you couldn't see his embarrassment. "L-let's go." He instinctively reached out for your hand and began walking. It was like a fever dream, to be holding his hand and walking through the midsummer air with the wind rustling the nearby trees. While walking, you stared at the back of his head and realized this was a new sight to you, he was a whole other person. Mundane, part your world, yours.

You two approached a large tower with numerous columns and rows intersecting that represented the individual apartments. Any dedicated fan would know this was Bangtan's dorm. Upon realizing that, your feet stopped.

"What's wrong?" Namjoon asked.

"Am I allowed to be here?"

"Don't worry, I cleared it out with Manager Sejin already. And we won't be alone, don't worry."

"Who else will be there?"

"The rest of the boys, of course."

"Kim Namjoon, do you realize that I am still a fan and being in the room as all of my idols will make me combust?"

He laughed, it wasn't an expression he was familiar with, though he had read similar on Twitter and Instagram. "Yes, I know. I'm fully aware that you love them. But none of them is your match, that title is reserved for me. So keep your eyes on me only." he whispered against your ears, sending more than just butterflies down your stomach. You felt this way whenever he performed on stage, but this feeling of having him next to you was indescribable.

The boys' dorm was as you expected. Thanks to Hoseok, it was squeaky clean. Shoes were neatly placed on their designated shelves. Jackets and coats were hung coordinately in their closets. On the walls were pictures of the group throughout the years. It was quite emotional, to reflect on where they started.

"Hmm," Namjoon furrowed his eyebrows, "I guess they're not home right now."

You nodded, trying to not let your mind wander to a location where it should not go. Namjoon was doing the same. It was the first time he was alone with a girl in the dorm, or alone with a girl in general. The clock hand clicked rhythmically, filling in the silence.

"Oh," he exclaimed, running into the kitchen. You took that as a sign that you should follow him. "Close your eyes," he said once you got to the kitchen island. So you did, feeling tingles rising, starting from your fingertips. Namjoon opened the fridge and stared at his creation. It was not perfect by any means, but he still wanted you to see it. He set it before you and lit up a candle. "Okay, now open."

When you did, your eyes sparkled with the flame. Below the candle was a cake decorated with blue and pink frosting and adorned with little frosting flowers. On top, Happy Birthday Y/N was piped with melted chocolate. "I made this for your birthday. It doesn't really look good and I'm sure it won't taste good. But I wanted to tell you my feelings that day. That was before the envelope came."

It certainly wasn't as pristine as the cakes at the bakery, but you still found yourself crying. Baking a cake is hard, but so is waiting for someone. Namjoon rushed over, and lifted your head up to see if anything got into your eyes. "I was an idiot. I'm sorry." you wailed. "I should have answered your calls. I'm sorry."

He gently wiped the tears from your eyes with his thumb, "It's okay, please don't cry" he smiled. "I was worried that I made you upset. It terrified me to think that you might not want to ever see me again."

Your tears continued. "I don't think I could go long without seeing you. The ocean needs the moon. You're my moon."

"Then I guess you're my ocean because I can't help but fall."

"That was a terrible joke," you whimpered. He found it was cute when you started pouting.

"Sorry, sorry." he chuckled. "But I have a question."

"Hm?"

"Will you be my girlfriend?"