Chapter 8

Hye Jin's eyes lit up with every word that came out of her mouth. She resembled a kid reciting all the countless adventures she had been on in her imagination, except this was real. She had been recounting every single detail about her most recent date with Whee In. Every, single, thing. Down to what the strand of her hair looks like. But you were still enjoying hearing the stories because it meant that your best friend is happy. Which was why you agreed to lunch, and also because she's paying.

"It wasn't the first time we had seen each other in our lives," she began. "but when we saw each other after the match, it was like I was given a new pair of eyes. It sounds ridiculous, I know. I thought she was beautiful before but now when I see her, I see everything. All of the features on her face, the details of her hands, how the sun shines through her hair. It was exactly what you would imagine when meeting your soulmate for the first time."

"Was she surprised to know that it was you?" you asked.

Hye Jin nodded, taking a sip of her coffee. "She told me she thought it was a joke. Not because she doesn't like me but because she didn't think we would be compatible. I'm much more outgoing while she's reserved. In a way, we're kind of the opposite."

"Well, compatibility is a result of more than just personality," you commented. "You two complement each other. I think that's why it's a match." Rather than fire and water, it's fire and air. The matches need to work in harmony with one another, one might have what the other is lacking or desired. You wondered what you had that you match didn't have, not much honestly. "So, do you think you two will do the matching ceremony next year?"

The matching ceremony is a celebration, an oath of sorts that the soulmates would remain together, and their decision was final. The Red String will bound them permanently. If the couple decides to part ways, that would also be where they would cut their connection and forget about each other. Rarely will people choose that path, because it would be painful. "I don't want to think that far ahead into the future," Hye Jin answered. "We're still learning more about each other and whatever her decision is, I'll stand by it. But I hope so, then we can become the most powerful lesbian couple in the world."

"And I look forward to remaining your best friend so you'll take me on expensive vacations." you chuckled.

She rolled her eyes playfully, "Well you Red String match could be a handsome billionaire."

"What are the chances of that actually happening?"

"More likely than you would think," she shrugged. "You have to think positively. Haven't you heard about the law of attraction?"

"Of course,"

"Then you should know that if you think that you will get something, it will come to you. "Tell me," she leaned closer, the fork twirling in her fingers. "Describe your perfect match."

"What's the point? It wouldn't matter."

"Entertain me, then."

You sighed, "Fine. Someone's kind when no one is watching. Someone who laughs easily and love without holding back. Someone who's uncertain, like me, but is courageous enough to face another day. Someone who shines bright, but won't leave me in his shadows. Someone who loves me with a force stronger than the Red String."

"That sounds oddly specific." Hye Jin remarked. You shrugged it off, it was more impossible than specific. "Well, anyway, I hope you get your wish. Good luck tomorrow, call me right away."

Back at home, you did whatever you could to distract yourself. Your birthday had always been something you looked forward to, because it meant a cake and your parents would come home a little earlier to spend time with you. Laying on the couch, you scrolled through Instagram while the TV plays some daytime drama about a sappy romance. You wondered why they bother with romance when the results are all the same. A little cliché in your opinion and reality isn't as magical as television. Though there have been fans who got matched with their favorite idols. But more likely than now, idols are matched with each other because they were both destined for greatness and that makes them perfect for each other. That was the reality, so you no longer dreamed.

Your phone rang, making you jumped and it consequently fell on your face. You would have groaned and cursed at the caller, except it was the last person you had expected to call. But it makes sense considering he had already texted you every night since getting your number and honestly, nothing makes sense anymore. "Hello?" you answered, voice wavering a little and you hoped he didn't notice.

"Are you busy?" he asked. His voice sounded clear through the phone, or it could have been because you were especially attentive to his existence in general.

"No, I should be asking you that," you chuckled. "I know you have a photoshoot with Fila today."

"You know all of my schedules," he cooed.

"Of course, ARMY are detectives, have you not noticed?"

He laughed, the sound resonating through your body. "Yes, and I'm surprised you're not here with me."

"Namjoon-ssi, you think too highly of me. I'm not important enough to receive an invite to a photoshoot."

"I told you yesterday that you could come and it would have been okay."

"Namjoon," you said, this time, a little quieter. This was all overwhelming and confusing. You really had no idea why he took such interest in you. But you knew it wasn't worth it. You weren't worth the danger it would put him and the boys in if people saw you two together. "You know what will happen if I go."

"I know," he sighed. The leader has to think about his members and company. "Alright, enough about me, what did you do today?"

"I had lunch with Hye Jin, and she was telling me about her Red String match."

He hummed, "How does she feel about that?"

"She's head over heels for her match. They get along really well. They're taking things one step at a time to build that relationship. And I think that's really beautiful."

Namjoon couldn't suppress his scoff, and it came out more aggressively than he had intended. "You seem thrilled about it. Are you excited to get your match tomorrow?"

"Well, no... I don't know." you confessed. "The way Hye Jin talked about Whee In, it was a warm feeling and I want to experience that at least once."

Namjoon clenched his jaws, "Why haven't you noticed?" he asked quietly.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Don't you want to feel that way too?"

You felt him nodding. "But there's a person that I like, and I just want to feel it from her. No match or God can change my feelings." Your shoulders dropped and so did your face. The news would come sooner or later, that he had found someone. But you thought it would come from some news outlet like Dispatch and Big Hit would confirm it themselves. Hearing it from him directly broke your heart in ways you couldn't imagine.

"Oh, I see," you muttered. "I-I have to go now." Then you hung up without hearing his response. Namjoon stood frozen while the boys were having a midday snack. While he's proficient at writing lyrics, he was terrible at expressing his feelings, and he knew he said the wrong thing.