Chapter 7

Namjoon noticed right away that you had deliberately left a yard of space between the two of you as you walked towards an undesignated location. He chuckled softly, and felt like being playful, so he slowly inched closer until his shoulder brushed with your arm. You gasped quietly at the first contact, and every one after that sent sparks through your body. Along with the pounding of your heart, you couldn't bring yourself to strike up a conversation, so for now, you two were walking in silence.

Namjoon didn't mind, he was perfectly content with having a nature walk beside a person he's fond of. Luckily, the street didn't have that many occupants. Whenever you both passed by stores with Bangtan advertising, he would cringe and stride away while you stopped to admire his photos. Namjoon finally found a benefit of those photoshoots. A few high school students scattered the streets, taking photos and making lasting memories before separating for college. It made him nostalgic, he didn't get to do that because those were his trainee years. Nonetheless, he had gained 6 brothers that he will cherish for life. And it brought him something else too, clarity and acceptance for himself. Or at least he was starting to.

You two passed by the set of trees with the same pink and white blossoms as the day you walked to the museum. Thinking more about it, your wish came true, he was able to see them. "Wow," he marveled, "The colors are so vibrant in real life. We've been busy with schedules that I haven't had time to just enjoy even a simple tree."

"They're at the prime right now, I'm glad you got to see them before the season ends."

"I am glad as well." he hummed. "You talked about safe haven before, and this is one of them. Not this street particularly, but the scenery. In this space, I don't have to be RM or BTS. I'm just Namjoon, a guy who loves nature and walks. It strangely makes me happy that people don't recognize me."

"Then should I ignore you and walk away now?" you teased. Even underneath the mask, you could tell that he was frowning, maybe even pouting.

"No." he stated plainly, looking right into your eyes. "I want you to see me."

"Why?" you finally asked. "Why me?"

He glanced around. At first you thought it was because he was afraid people recognize him and see him with a bakery worker. "It's too loud here," he said. "I want to talk to you properly in a better place." Then he held his hand out, "May I? I don't want you to get lost." He would have finished the line Seokjin taught him but he didn't have the guts to. It was totally unnecessary for him to hold your hand when the street wasn't packed, but you were not about to say no to his gesture.

This was greater than the sparks of shoulders bumping. You were about to combust. While you held his hand before for the handshake, that was for a few seconds, but right now, he had no intention of letting go. His hand was huge, completely engulfing yours. It was also surprisingly tender, with a few calluses from his workouts. His rings were cooling in the summer heat. He led you to a desolate spot by the Hans river. It was a perfect spot for an innocent confession, or a murder, but you didn't want to imagine either of those.

"Sorry, I thought there would be a bench here," he said quietly, rubbing the back of his neck out of embarrassment.

"I don't mind, the grass looks green," you assured. With that, the two of you sat on the ground. Once again, you left a space between him but once again, he closed that space, making your heart race.

"Back to your question earlier, I feel like I should have been prepared to answer, but I'm not," he confessed. "It's not because I haven't thought about it. I have, a lot. So much that I just get more confused. I don't know why it's you, I just like it that way. I'm sorry," he sighed. "This must sound crazy to you."

"The most sought out idol right now is telling me he likes having me around, I think crazy is an understatement." you chuckled unsurely. "How did you recognize me, by the way?"

"Your eyes. They're the only thing I see when you have your mask on. I've memorized them in my mind. So when I saw your eyes in that box, I recognized you right away."

"That's embarrassing," you blushed.

"Y/N when is your 21st birthday?" he suddenly asked.

"In a week," you admitted. He nodded, and you weren't sure what that reaction meant. But then he smiled as if everything was fine.

"Then I guess I should call you noona,"

"I guess you should,"

Namjoon bit the inside of his cheek. "I hate the Red String." he blurted.

"You do?"

He nodded, "I hate being told by some unknown being determining who I'm supposed to be with for the rest of my life. I'm sure there's some logical explanation to the matching, but people change and maybe their soulmates can as well. I just feel that when I meet that person, my love for them will be real. All I will be thinking about is that I'm meant to be with them. I don't think that's love."

"You're right," you replied. "There's always an option for you to walk away from your fate, to break the connection. But then it would be painful for the other person. I think life is mundane enough, something like that is the closest to magic we'll ever get. I try to look at it that way, to pass the days. And who knows, that person might be miraculous enough to make you think differently."

Doubtful, he wanted to say. You figured Namjoon would dislike the phenomenon like yourself. And for him, as an idol, it'll be even harder to know if the person loves him or just his fame. Not to mention, everything will be publicized. It doesn't just affect him, it'll affect his members, and his soulmate. Whoever they are, you hope they will care for him with all their heart and lessen his pain.

"I guess we'll have to accept our fate." he sighed, staring at the moving clouds, wishing they could take him away so that September would never reach him. Though there was a possibility the red envelope could come sooner if his match has an earlier birthday. He didn't want to think about that chance, unless it was the person he wanted. He glanced over at you again, you still haven't noticed.