Chapter 6

The bakery was at a pleasant pace. Not too many customers for you and Minji to panic but enough to keep you on your feet at all times. It was exactly what you needed, distractions. Normally, you would want some downtime to check any Bangtan news or comments on your photos. But you couldn't handle that right now. It felt overwhelming. Everything from the fansign to meeting him to the conversations and his message on the album.

Hello Y/N,

I hope I can call you that from now on. You were right the other day, I'm scared of being seen but when it's by you, I want to shine a little brighter and be a little more confident. It might be too informal for me, but I want to move past the glass walls between us. And I hope the next time I see you, you'll leave the mask at home so I can see your smile. I'll be waiting.

You read the message over and over again trying to see if you were misunderstanding his words because you were selfish in that way. Words are powerful and they hold numerous meanings that could be taken a different way. But the specific combination of his illustrated something that made your heart flutter of happiness, and fear.

At this point, to say you love him was an understatement. It wasn't the superficial kind of love, you love his existence, his message, his story. You were intoxicated by him, and you couldn't let it happen anymore because the higher your hope, the harder you'll fall. That's why you didn't have the courage to text him, or even put his number in your phone. You were sure he wouldn't mind, because he could not possibly care about a remarkable individual such as yourself. And it wasn't like there was going to be another opportunity for the two of you to talk in private. You shrugged it off and continued to restock pastries on their shelves.

The front door opened, and Minji rushed in from watering the flowers outside. She headed straight towards you with eagerness. "What's going on?" you asked once she stopped before you.

"There's a guy outside," she said hastily.

"Okay?" you replied. "There are many guys outside in this area. In fact, there are many guys in general."

She slapped your shoulder lightly yet firmly, "He wants to see you."

"What?"

"There's a guy outside asking to see you. To see you Y/N!" she cheered. "That never happens!" It was supposed to be a simple remark but you found it to be a jab to your fragile ego.

"Who is it?"

"I don't know, he didn't say. I figured he was a classmate or something." she giggled. "I can't believe you went behind my back and got a boyfriend without telling me. And to do it before your Red String match too, how risque."

You rolled your eyes, "I don't have a boyfriend, he's probably just some weirdo."

"Maybe," Minji shrugged. "He is wearing a long coat and mask in the middle of the summer."

"Mask?" Your hope skyrocketing. It could have been a coincidence, it wasn't unusual for here to wear masks. Tentatively, you handed the pastry tray to Minji and headed for the door. It's not him, you kept repeating, it's not him, it's not him, it's-

Him.

Even with his entire face covered up and only his eyes visible, you instantly recognized him and gasped. He leaned against the outside wall like a statue, and stood up tall when he saw you. His eyes widened a little, you face was free of the mask. He didn't know what he was expecting, but certainly not the butterflies in his stomach. "Hi," he said quietly.

"What are you doing here?" you asked.

"Why haven't you texted me?" he asked in return, taking a step closer.

"I-I..."

He took another step until his body completely covered yours and you could smell his soothing scent. "Do you not want to talk to me? Were you disappointed to hear the real me?"

"No, of course not!" you objected. "There's nothing to be disappointed about. I was so happy that you felt comfortable enough to talk to me."

His shoulders dropped and he breathed out of relief. Then he covered his face with his arm. "Sorry, I don't know why I'm like this. This has never happened before."

"What hasn't?"

"The urge to see someone," he answered honestly. "I was worried that I did something wrong and you didn't want to talk to me."

"Pabo. My heart feels like it's going to burst every time I look at your picture. Why would I not want to talk to you?" you laughed. His hand went down and he was mesmerized by your innocent laughter. When you found him staring, you wished you were wearing anything other than your work uniform and apron.

"You're...really pretty." he blurted out, causing both your cheeks to flush. He was now seeing you without a mask on, it was the first step to seeing the real you. He wanted to know more. A skeptic like himself would dismiss the idea of love at first sight, but he couldn't deny the influence you had on him. Ever since he saw you at their first fan meeting and all the times after that. While he could only see your eyes, it was like you two had simultaneously watched each other grow up. "Do you think you can go on a walk with me?" his eyes pleaded.

You didn't say anything for a while, and fear was running through his body. His heart stopped when you ran back into the bakery. He should have seen this outcome. Coming here unannounced and forcing this on you, you must have felt burdened by everything. He sighed and turned the other direction. Just then, the door opened, the bell jingled.

"Were you about to leave?" you asked, half teasing but half terrified.

He was still in a daze, "But I thought..."

"I just needed to tell my manager and take off my apron," you explained. Then held up a box, "And I grabbed some snacks for us." His butterflies came back, eating at his insides. But he didn't mind, because it was you.