Chapter 15

"He's your what?!" Hye Jin jumped up from her seat, hand slammed on the table, causing the flour bag to fall forward. Flour poured out like sand, along with the air conditioner, it blew like dust. Some sort of fog, you thought. Alert and on your feet, you rushed to clean up the mess before Minji finds out. Though she had the same reaction when you told her so it was your fault for not putting the flour somewhere safe.

You should have known Hye Jin would be much more dramatic, considering you didn't call on your birthday as you promised and ignored the topic every time she asked about it. The curiosity was building inside her like a bomb and she was ready to explode. Which is why you opted out of telling her the news anywhere else but the bakery. You had to work today and you've dragged it on long enough.

"Quiet," you urged.

"How can I be quiet?!" she yelled. "You've kept this big secret from me for like a week. I don't even care that he's a celebrity, but the fact that you didn't tell your best friend right away. I'm so upset with you right now. Does our friendship mean nothing to you?!"

"Don't do that! I'm sorry," you whined. "But please understand. I thought it was a mistake and once I found that it was, I was too overwhelmed. And he needed time to sort things out with his company to make the announcement." Hye Jin huffed, sitting back down and looking at everything in the room except you. "Jin Jin, don't be mad," you begged.

"Ugh, fine!" she grumbled. "But you're not getting off the hook that easily."

"Of course, I'll do whatever it takes for you to forgive me."

"Hmmm, can your boyfriend hook me up with a photographer? Whee In needs some photos for her resume."

"I'll see what I can do." you winked.

"So when is the announcement being made?" she asked, scrolling through Twitter. "The timeline isn't broken yet and you're still alive."

"Not much longer," you answered. "They'll post a statement somewhere. And don't exaggerate, I'll be fine."

Hye Jin lifted an eyebrow, "Honey, no group is more feared than Bangtan's fan. You should know this."

"Yes, but they're also the most kind and understanding, I hope." You prayed that it was true. Thinking back on the numerous times ARMY prevailed against their enemies sent chills down your spine. "I'll be okay."

"Well, I sure hope so. Because the timeline is broken. BigHit made the announcement." Hye Jin showed you her phone of the statement made. Scanning the content, you saw Namjoon's name and yours and how the red envelope came for Namjoon before his birthday. Then you scrolled down to read the incoming tweets from fans. Everything was moving so fast that you couldn't read a coherent sentence but the sentiment was clear: they had not been expecting their idol to be taken away so early and they were furious.

All of a sudden, you felt the ground rumbling like an earthquake. You held on to Hye Jin tightly. Minji burst through the door, face drained of color. "It's the apocalypse." she shuttered. Outside, fans have gathered and crowded the entrance. Patrons of the bakery were too scared to approach or stay inside for much longer. The crowd outside were chanting, holding up signs of how they wanted their "oppa" back, and how you needed to break the connection right away to set him free as if he was a sort of possession. You hid behind the counter, feeling numb.

"Understanding, huh?" Hye Jin chuckled.

"Yeah, yeah. I don't need the sarcasm right now." you groaned. Your phone rang, it was Namjoon. You decided to not answer him because if you did, he would hear the yelling and get worried. But eventually, he would find out, he's always online apparently and this will show up on the news soon.

"Y/N, I hate to do this," Minji disclosed, "But you need to do something. They're chasing our customers away."

"No, I understand. I'll be back." Hye Jin tried to hold you back but even she understands that this is still a business that needs customers. Once they saw you approaching, the mob grew louder in size and volume. The door opened and you felt a wave of anger pushing you back. "You are trespassing on this property. Please leave," you asked politely.

"You bitch, you took him from us!" someone yelled. "You're not even that pretty."

"You're just a gold digger," screamed another person. "You don't deserve him at all."

"You don't love him the way we do. Break the connection," they all chanted.

The comments were stab wounds. It was something you were used to seeing online, but to experience it in person was a degrading thing that no one should ever go through. "Please leave before I call the police." you insisted as calmly as you could.

"Make us," A girl pulled something out of her bag, an egg carton. She wasn't the only one, they all miraculously had the same idea. You were too shocked to move at first. Eggs flew without wings at a great force and threatened to crash into your body. But they never reached your body, his coat fully covered your body. Egg yolks ran down his head and back. Despite that, he still managed to give you a smile. The girls gasped and dropped the cartons.

"Namjoon, what are you doing here?" you whispered.

"I'm your shield, remember?" He let his arm fall, one he was sure the assault had stopped. "I'm sorry, I should have come as soon as the announcement was made."

"It's okay, you couldn't have known," you remarked.

His face stiffened up, " I should have." Then he turned around, eyes piercing through each and every fan who had shown up and had intentions of hurting you. They all shrank at his gaze, legs shaking and whimpering. "I love my fans," he proclaimed. His voice was stable, not too loud or quiet. However, the coldness doesn't hide very well and Namjoon wanted his message to be quite clear. "But don't you dare think for a second that I will tolerate this kind of behavior, especially when it comes to the person I care about. I don't care about the extent of the situation, if I were to see a hair on her head being hurt, I will be pressing charges. Now leave."

He didn't wait for the crowd to disburse, but instead, took you into the bakery and apologized a million times while you reassured that you're fine and picked out eggshells from his hair. Hye Jin took a picture, and thought idols are still humans after all. Minji, on the other hand, felt sad that the eggs had gone to waste.