Chapter 4

A few weeks later, Bangtan released their much-anticipated album about youth and identity, Wings. Your fingers were sore from clicking refresh every time the music video ends. They all looked unreal, especially Kim Namjoon and the smoke. His solo song on the album was titled Reflection, and your heart fluttered, thinking that he might have gone to the museum to look at the exhibits.

To your surprise and absolute delight, Big Hit sent out an email to MoonJoon that showed a ticket to the fansign they were holding and badge for handshakes. Your cheeks inflated wildly and your heart was bouncing off the walls. You scrolled down on the email to see why you were selected for handshakes because people normally buy raffles for them and you can never afford the price. The email didn't say anything further. But you weren't about to question their generosity or possible mistake.

Mask on and camera charged, you road your scooter to the venue. The fansign was set in a well ventilated and conditioned auditorium of a local university. The table on stage was already set up, but empty. That didn't stop ARMY from screaming and waving their ARMY bombs around to the music playing in the background.

Just like a powerful wave, the boys walked in from the left-wing, dressed in their promotional outfits of modern princes. The room squealed. Your camera was already up. This time, it took no time for Namjoon's eyes to land on you and his smile was brighter than the full moon on cloudless nights.

After doing their usual greeting, Suga took the mic to ask if ARMY enjoyed their new album. It came to no one's surprise when the room erupted in cheers. When Jungkook asked what was everyone's favorite part in the music video, the room answered Jimin's shoulder.

"It was an accident, I swear." the little one answered, though everyone knew that was a complete lie. The boy is fully aware of his appeal and will use it to his advantage.

While the rest of the boys were talking, it became more apparent to you that you were being watched. Not by anyone in the audience, but a specific idol on stage. At first, you were sure it was only your imagination considering there was nothing special about the way you look that would catch his attention more than the usual glances for pictures. But every time you looked up at him, his eyes would remain on you for a millisecond before diverting his gaze somewhere else. Coincidence, you thought.

Then it came the moment everyone was waiting for. Unlike the usual signing and handshake event, the boys moved to another room, much more private where fans would get to talk to individual members all for a few minutes with a thin wall separating the members. Your hands were numb as you got closer to the front of the line. Despite hours of practicing what you would say to him in front of a mirror, you knew your brain would be washed away the second you see his face. You didn't even know if you could even mutter a coherent word let alone sentence. The security guard indicated that it was your turn to greet the first member, snapping ou out of your trance.

It seemed that the were going from youngest to oldest because behind the first wall was the baby. Up close, his eyes are more dazzling than in pictures. You shook his hand and told him to keep eating well and to not beat up his hyungs. He laughed. "No promises noona. By the way, I love your pictures of Namjoonie hyung." Your fansite badge pretty much gave it away who you were. "When I look at them, I can pretend that he's mine."

You blinked. "Jungkook, Namjoon lives with you. You see him every day. I think that's better than looking at pictures."

"Oh, you're right." the maknae responded. "I'll go stare at him after this."

You nodded, feeling envious that he was living your dream without even realizing it. The rest of the members pretty much said the same thing about your pictures. Yoongi commented that it's rare for Namjoon to smile like that at a stranger. You tried not to let that comment go to your head, but it made you extremely happy. After Seokjin, it was him and your heart went back to bouncing like crazy. Every step to get to the other side of the wall dragged on for years. Though you have seen him millions of times in real life, it had never been this close and private. You closed your eyes, took a deep breath, then went around the wall.

He had been waiting for the next ARMY patiently, at least from what you could tell. Behind the table, his legs were shaking. His lips were a soft coral color, his hair was short and light blond. Everything about him was unreal. When his eyes landed on you, his shoulders jumped up and he sat up a little taller. "Um hello," he spoke up, little dimples appearing.

"Hello," you replied with shaking voice. At least it didn't crack and at least he was still smiling.

"Please, take a seat." he gestured politely.

So you did, and handed him your album to be signed. He began writing something right away without asking for your name. You figured he already knew your fansite name and was signing that. "The album is amazing " you began. "I could tell you poured a lot of sweat into this and I know it will be successful."

"Thank you for saying that," he smiled. "I think this is the first time all of us felt compelled to do something, to show our true selves to some extent. Reflection was inspired by a museum trip I took recently."

"Oh, I know the exhibit you're talking about! Did you go into the Maze? Somehow I knew you would like it."

"That was my favorite part, because I wasn't alone."

"I'm glad. I'm sure you had a thoughtful conversation with whoever it was."

"I did. She told me I shouldn't hide and I was hoping to see her without her mask today." You froze, that sentence sounded familiar. He looked at you intently, waiting for the revelation. Just when you were doubting your mind, he slid something over on the table. Your nametag from the bakery that you dropped.

"Oh my god," you whispered. It was him. "I'm so sorry."

His eyebrows furrowed, it wasn't the reunion he was expecting. "Sorry? Why are you sorry?"

"Because I make people see you when you didn't want to." you answered.

He chuckled softly and shook his head, "I know what I said that day sounded serious, but I am not mad at you. I could never be. Because it's you, I am okay with having my picture taken. That smile is real. I want to say thank you for making me feel normal in that glass display."

"That makes me beyond happy," you grinned, looking away for just a second because he was too dazzling.

Namjoon melted, wishing he could see your full face. "I wish I could say more but our time is running out. But thank you for your support over the years. I hope you'll continue to come to our events.... And take photos of me."

"Of course!" you exclaimed, a little too loudly. You felt relieved to hear him say that."I'll be at every event for the group, and for you."

"I'm glad, Y/N." The emphasis on your name made your heart flutter.

But something was still bugging you, "When you said because it's me, what does that mean?"

"That's for another day," he winked. You shook his hand, letting his touch be ingrained in your mind, then walked out of the room. There was no time to read the message since you needed to head to work, but then you realized exactly what he meant by another day.

Kim Namjoon gave you his phone number.