Chapter 14

You glanced at yourself in the mirror one last time. And then another one last time. And another. The fixture was laid against the wall by the coat closet outside, meaning you were standing in the way of the exit. Your father checked his wristwatch, sighing at his daughter's sudden cowardice but then again, he felt the same way going to meet his partner's parents.

His wife soon joined him, intertwining their arms like the golden days when they first met and he had been too shy to make the first move. So every hand-holding, selca taken, even confessions had been done by her first. At one point, she thought he wasn't interested, but he got drunk one night and professed how in love he was with her and didn't want his clumsiness to ruin the moment. And she almost punched him for being so shy, but he was her soulmate after all and they were stuck with each other. Neither of them would have wanted things to turn out any other way.
"Honey, you'll burn a hole in the mirror if you keep staring so hard," your father spoke up. Your cheeks flushed and you quickly looked at the painting next to the mirror to divert his attention. Your parents both laughed.

"Y/N, you look beautiful. Don't be so nervous," your mother added as she squeezed your shoulders. "Just be yourself."

You took a breath, "What if they don't like me?"

"Then that's their loss," your father declared.

"Appa,"

"Honey, there's nothing to not love about you," his voice relaxed. Then he flipped the collar of his suit jacket, "If anything, their son will have to worry that we won't give permission."

"Appa!"

"I'm just kidding, sort of." he teased, sticking his tongue out.

"Aright, you two," your mother interjected while fixing his tie. Domestic life might be boring to some people, but you were desperately longing for that stability. Especially with him, normalcy is a privilege and you'll enjoy every second of it with him tonight. "Let's go."

Namjoon reserved a private dining room at the hotel his parents were staying at. They took a trip to the city to see their son and to meet his match, which came to them by surprise. Like all parents, they were skeptical of how you would be, primarily if you were the type to only care about the money and fame that their son exudes. They're not the type of parents to demand their daughter-in-law to be rich, they just want someone who won't use their son. But from what Namjoon as told them, their worry decreased by a little. The three of them talked amongst each other about Namjoon's future work schedule while waiting for the other family to arrive. The door opened, and Namjoon's mouth hung midair, his words stopped.

You weren't sure what the dress code was, and figured that a mock neck long sleeve floral dress with breezy material can do no wrong. Your hair curled slightly at the end, and a rhinestone clip ornamented your part. Namjoon's heart did a backflip. Every time he sees you, it's like he had walked into a new dream. And you felt the same, seeing him in a semi-formal attire with his blonde hair pushed back. Namjoon and his parents stood up. "I'm so sorry to have kept you all waiting," you bowed.

"We didn't wait long. Don't worry, sweetie." his mother smiled. The parents shook hand, and Namjoon helped you into the seat across from him. Small introductions began. The parents, having gone through something like this themselves, knew exactly what to do and say, all while you and Namjoon sat in silence and shyly look at each other when possible.

"Y/N," his mother called out, "Namjoon tells me you'll be going to medical school next year."

"Yes, Mrs.Kim. I received my acceptance letter last month," you answered.

"That's very impressive," his father added. "Why did you want to go into that field?"

"I'm sure you've heard people saying they want to help those in need. I'm no different. I was blessed with wonderful parents and a healthy body. While I can't guarantee that everyone in the world are born healthy, I want to do my part to prolong their happiness, as much as possible."

"That's wonderful," his mother approved.

"And quite expensive. How will you finance yourself?" his father continued what his wife had wanted to ask.

"Appa," Namjoon spoke up in a warning. His father made a look that told his son to calm down. Your parents were also concerned with the subject matter.

You nodded, "Yes, it will be quite expensive. But I have been saving up all the money from my job and I have also received numerous scholarships from the medical school. Thank you for worrying about me."

"I apologize for the sudden question," his father said. "You really are a wonderful girl. To be honest, ever since Namjoon debuted, my wife and I have always worried about his match. We didn't want someone who only wanted him for the money or his connection. We wanted someone who genuinely cares about his well-being."

"I'm still not certain if I am the best possible partner for him, but I can assure you I will love him honestly."

"You are the best possible partner for me," Namjoon pointed out.

Your mother, having heard enough of this, cleared her throat. Everyone turned their heads to her. "Now that you're done interviewing my daughter, we should talk about the obvious issue at hand here. Your son's occupation and how it will affect their relationship as a couple."

"Eomma," you whispered, holding her hand tightly underneath the table.

"What are your concerns, Mrs. Song?" Namjoon asked intently.

"Namjoon, while I am a big fan of your music, I am terrified that my daughter's safety will be at risk. Your fans are known to be... dedicated and I can't imagine the extent they will go to when they find out about your match."

The room grew silent, only the sound of the air conditioner echoing. His parents have thought about the same thing, and so did he. "I know this is an unideal job," Namjoon sighed. "I can't tell you that things will be perfect and no one will be hurt. But I will say that I will shield her from the hurt and negativity. And my company will do whatever they can to control the fire if there is one. She will be safe."

"Eomma, I'm strong. Have confidence in me." you teased. Your mother rolled her eyes playfully and squeezed your hand. Dinner went on with less serious topics. There was laughter and smile, exactly what you and Namjoon had wanted. And there will be more in the future.

"Oh, have you told Hye Jin yet?" your father asked. You dropped your fork, feeling your stomach twisting."

"Fuck."