Information on Freshwater Mermaids

Freshwater mermaids DO exist, but they are rare and hard to come by. Obviously, this is because freshwater areas are smaller than the oceans.

Natural freshwater mer happen to go on land a lot more than natural saltwater mermaids. Although any mermaid can do this, they need to be powerful enough to have the type of magic. Meaning, if you do a spell and it turns you into a freshwater mermaid, you actually have a lot of power within you.

That being said, freshwater mermaids don't typically belong to pods. They are usually by themselves and depend on themselves. They are friendly, but extremely cautious.

And yes, some mermaids can't turn into humans. Just like some humans can't turn into mermaids. It comes down to how much you believe you can do it, and how powerful your words are.

The most simple way to figure out if you're a freshwater mermaid is what the color of your tail is. If it's white, sliver, or gold, you have a 95% chance of being a freshwater mermaid.

Also, pay attention to what source of water calls to you. Does the ocean sound scary or exciting? Does swimming in a lake sound boring or comforting? Does the saltwater taste disgust you, or remind you of a pretzel? (LOL I'm sorry, that's what I think of! Pretzels are soo good)

There are different types of freshwater mermaids, but as I keep repeating, it's hard to find them in the water. Some go to human form to avoid getting caught.

DEEP RIVER MERMAIDS:
Tail color: sliver, light blue, or gold
Power: water control or jelly
Hair color: blonde or light brown
Likes to: run or stay active
When swimming, river mermaids go with and against the current. They often live near the river. For those who remember that picture I took at the cider mill in Mermaid Believer Book, that's a perfect example of something they could live in. Extremely rare, but very strong, independent, and adventurous.

LAKE MERMAIDS:
Tail color: white or black
Power: wind or freezing
Hair color: dark brown, black, or red
Likes to: collect objects
Lakes come in all different shapes and sizes. It depends on how deep the lake is to determine if a natural freshwater mermaid lives in the water. Lakes can also be home to other fish and creatures, so an understanding with smaller animals is important as well. Lake mermaids are kind, gentle, and patient.

Although there are other sources of freshwater such as creeks or ponds, it's nearly impossible for a mermaid to live in such conditions.

If you are a freshwater mermaid reading this, I just want to say way to go! Honestly, I don't know how you guys can do it.

This was suggested by HypocriteBunny . Thank you for the great idea!

Have a nice day!

-MermaidStory808