Prophecy

SOMEWHERE ON THE PATH - Temeria

They were sitting in the inn in Gors Velen. Ciri wanted to finally eat something normal. She was wearing a hood on her head which Geralt gave her. Someone could again recognize her and he really didn't want that to happen.
"Geralt?" Ciri asked him while she was eating the bread.
"Yes?" he raised his eyebrow.
"It's difficult to become a witcher?" she was curious.
"Yes, it is.. and why are you asking this anyway?" he looked at her suspicious.
"Nothing, I just wanted to know it." she made a big smile.
"Just eat it finally. We should go. It's not good to be too long in this town. I feel better on the path." he smirked.
"Fine." Ciri frowned and she started eating.
They were sitting to the table close to the bar. Geralt looked at the man who came towards the innkeeper. They started talking loudly:

"Did you hear it? Nilfgaard was beaten. Mages won the battle on the Sodden Hill." the man said with excitement.
"Really?! That's awesome news! The black would stole everything what we have if they would won.." innkeeper was honest.
"I also heard that many good mages died there.. wait I need to remember on the names, I saw the list.." the man started thinking. "Oh, I know.. some Raffard, Marti, Koral, Alzur, Dethmold and the one sorceress, what was her name.. oh.. Yennefer.."

His heart skipped a beat. He caught the edge of table and squeezed it firmly. He felt like somebody put the dagger into his heart now. No.. it couldn't be true, he had to hear only some rumors. He didn't want to believe it. She couldn't be dead. She was the most powerful sorceress whom he has ever known.
"Geralt? Are you alright? You seem like you saw a ghost.." Ciri interrupted from his thoughts. She raised her eyebrow.
"I'm okay." his heart was beating so fast.
"You knew her? That Yennefer?" she hesitated. "Because when he mentioned her name, your face was suddenly white.." she was honest.
"I knew her.. very well.." he lowered her head.
"Are you crying?" she was confused.
"No.. just something fell down into my eye.." he fixed his face. He was trying to act like nothing happened but his whole life was destroyed in one second. He prayed to the Gods to wasn't be true.
"I'm sorry.." Ciri said sadly.
"Come. We should go.." he stood up and Ciri didn't protest and she followed him.

They stopped close tho the river far away from the town. Geralt wanted to take a break, they were riding almost five hours. Ciri jumped down from Roach and she stretched her legs and hands. He smiled a bit, she was very skilled in those things. He wondered if she would handle the real sword. Geralt then climbed down slowly from the horse and he went towards the river. He knelt down on his knee and he washed his face with cold water from the river. He wanted to wake up from this nightmare where Yennefer wasn't alive anymore. She was his everything and he couldn't imagine his life without her. It couldn't be true, the destiny just couldn't failed in this. They have to meet again. They have to.. He lowered his head and he took a deep breath. When he raised his head, he noticed two small sticks perfect for the fight laying on the ground. He grabbed them and he slowly stood up. When he turned around he saw Ciri how she was petting Roach. He smiled, he started liking this little confident girl. He came closer to her.

"Catch it!" he shouted at her and he threw one of the sticks to her. Ciri quickly turned around and she caught the stick. Good, he thought. Her reflexes are quick but he wanted to see if she could fight too. He raised his stick and he hit her.
"Ouch.. what are you doing?" she didn't understand.
"You're dead." he smiled and he hit her again but this time she moved away from the stick. She understood it, they were fighting.
She jumped on the side but Geralt hit her again.
"Dead." he laughed. She frowned at him. She came closer and she tried to hit him but he was faster and he hit her into hers back.
"Dead again." he said calmly. She stopped.
"That's not fair." she frowned.
"Nobody fights fair. You have to watch your opponent. How is he moving. How is he standing. What is he doing when he wants to hit you. You need to find where is his weaknesses." Geralt explained.
Ciri started to focusing. She wanted to hit Geralt at least one time.
She was waiting and then she attacked his arm but he easily moved away.
"Wrong. Your legs are slow. You have to be faster."
Geralt was watching her every move. She was doing quite well on the girl, he had to admit it. She attacked him but Geralt did a pirouette and he hit her into her leg. She frowned.
"Dead." he was provoking her. He wanted to know if she could fight under the pressure. Ciri attacked again on his chest but he repelled her stick.
"Wrong. You can't beat me like this. I'm stronger. You have to be faster than me." he told her honestly. Ciri started thinking.
"Geralt, beware! Behind you!" Geralt quickly turned around but he saw nothing. In that moment Ciri hit him into his back.
"Dead." she smiled proudly. Geralt turned back to her.
"Smart move." he laughed a bit.
"Nobody fights fair.." she was teasing him.
"That's right." he admitted. "But please do not ever do it again. Somebody could use my inattention in the future and hurt you." he looked at her seriously.
"Okay." she lowered her eyes.

They went to sat down on the shore of the river.
"Do you think I could be the witcher?" she asked him with curiosity. Her question surprised him.
"You want to be a witcher? Why?"
"I can fight.. and I'm fast." she said proudly.
"Hold on, hold on Ciri. It doesn't mean if you are fast or you can fight that you can be a witcher." he explained her.
"Why not?"
"That's many years of training and learning. And you have to go through the Trial of Grasses at the end." Geralt was honest.
"I don't see it as a problem." Ciri admitted.
"No. I would never let you go through the Trial of Grasses. Never." he was serious.
"Then train me without this trail." she didn't want to give up.
"This trial is the most important. After the Trial you get many abilities which are needed to become a witcher." Geralt calmed down.
"Can I be only a half witcher then? Please." Ciri made a puppy eyes on him. Geralt looked at her and rolled his eyes.
"Fine.." he sighed. He wanted her to stop with her questions.
"What's does your medallion means?" she looked at him curious.
"Can you sometimes close your mouth for a second?" he said with laughing. His plan didn't work obviously.
"No. So, would you tell me? Please." Ciri was trying to smile. Geralt shaked his head.
"Each one is shaped to represent the school a witcher comes from. It is sensitive to magic, vibrating and tugging on when spells are being cast or monster are present. My medallion is a wolf because I'm from the School of Wolf." he explained to her. But she didn't say anything what was not usual for her.
"Ciri?" he looked at her. He quickly stood up. But suddenly Ciri flew up a bit over the ground, she leaned back her head, her eyes changed and she started speaking:

"Verily I say unto you, the era of the sword and axe is nigh, the era of the Wolf's blizzard. The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt: Tedd Deireádh, the Time of  End. The world will die amidst frost and be reborn with the new sun. It will  be reborn of  Elder Blood, of Hen Ichaer, of the seed that has been sown. A seed which will not sprout but burst into flame."

She ended with speaking and she landed on the ground. After couple of seconds she came back to mind.
"What happened?" Ciri was confused.
"You didn't remember it?" Geralt has fear in his eyes. He was worried about her.
"Oh, no.. again." she lowered her head.
"Does it happens very often?" he asked her seriously.
"I think yes... I can't control it. I know that something has happened to me because I feel dizzy and I never end on the same place as I was before. But I never know what I'm doing.." her voice started trembling. She was scared.
"Hey.. come here.." he came closer to her and he hugged her. She snuggled closer to him.
"Am I damaged Geralt?" she asked him sadly. The tear started rolling down her face.
"No, you're not Ciri. You just need a help." he petted hers hair. "We'll visit somebody in Novigrad who might help you." Geralt said thoughtfully.

THE END: Chapter 24