Chapter 26

-Peeta's POV-

We walk through her house door, she's fallen asleep on my back.

"Peeta! Is that you?" Haymitch calls.

"Yeah!"

"Katniss is missing!" He exclaims.

"Uhh okay?"

"You're meant to be her boyfriend and you don't care that she's missing!"

"I do Haymitch!"

"Well it doesn't sound like it"

"Well I do!"

"Then why aren't you doing anything?"

"Because I've got her, I told you this before I left!"

"No you didn't"

"Yes I did Haynitch!"

"Well why can't I remember?"

"Because you were obviously more interested in your girlfriend and your daughter than your niece who needs you most at the moment!" I shout.

"She's fine!"

"No she's not! She locks herself in her room all day-everyday now! You haven't even noticed! Haven't you heard her screams for no apparent reason?!" I shout as I walk into the living room where he's sitting with Effie and Niamh.

"No" he replies.

"Well it just goes to show how much you care about her doesn't it! With a life like hers you should be with her helping her through it! She was saying how she wanted to die last week because none of you remembered it had been twelve years since her family died! You were all too busy with yourselves and your relationships to care about what she was going through! She was on her own all day that day and none of you cared to even ask her if she was okay! It just goes to show what a family you are to her"

They all look speechless. Haymitch is with Effie and Niamh while Jay is on the other sofa with his girlfriend.

"Peeta, can you put me down?" Katniss croaks.

I put her down and she sits on the floor with her knees tight to her chest and her head in her knees. I crouch down to her. "You okay?"

She nods. "Just a panic attack"

"Okay, you sure?"

She nods. After a few more minutes she gets up. I wrap my arms around her as she tests her head on my chest. "I'm gonna go to bed, I'm quite tired" she mumbles.

"It's only eight pm Katniss, are you sure?"

She nods. "I fell asleep on your back earlier" she giggles into my chest, sending a vibration go all over my body.

"Okay, I'll come over tomorrow" I say and kiss her forehead as she lets go of me. I lean down and put my lips close to her ear. "Don't worry about those, just ignore them. You have your friends who are your family" She nods and kisses my cheek then grabs my arm and pulls her up the stairs and to her room which has been cleaned by I'm guessing Effie. She goes and changes into her pyjamas in her bathroom then climbs into bed as I wrap my arm around her shoulder as she snuggles into my chest.

"Peeta?"

"Yeah?"

"Will you stay with me?"

"Always, Katniss, always" I say and kiss her head as I feel her smile. She snuggles deeper into my chest and soon her breaths are lighter, meaning she's asleep.

Always