Chapter 28

-Peeta's POV-

I feel the tears well up in my eyes just looking at her lifeless, skinny body on the bed. It doesn't even look anything like her. The only way I knew it was her was because of her dark hair, olive skin and the scar above her left eye and her neck from the crash twelve years ago.

I come back to my senses. Hospital. I quickly scoop her up and rush out if the house. I don't even know how long she's been like this. Where's Haymitch? Jay? The house was empty, nothing had been touched for at least three weeks. Have they just left her?

All this runs through my head as we all race to the hospital, me carrying Katniss behind them. After a while Finnick takes her off me. Even though she was incredibly light I couldn't carry her no more. We were about three quarters of the way there so Finnick carried on running while I ran slowly, thing to catch my breath back from running so fast.

Finnick got to the hospital before the rest of us, dying to help his friend in need. We all run in as she's being wheeled away by doctors and nurses, frantically trying to get her hooked up to machines as fast as possible.

We all sit in the waiting room nervously. Me gnawing on my fingers. My girlfriend is in there, I hadn't seen her in a month and when I finally get into the house I only find her body lifeless and skinny on her bed. No family, nothing.

It seemed like decades until the doctor came in. I jumped out of my seat when he called for people who know Katniss. The doctor sighed. She dead, great. My girlfriend is dead. "You're very lucky you brought her in when you did and not a couple of hours after because otherwise she would be dead. By the looks of her condition she hasn't been eating or drinking for the past month"

"She hasn't been eating or drinking?" I croak.

The doctor nods. "She's in a very poor condition. All her bones are stiff, it looks like she hasn't eaten or drank and just stayed in the same position. We've got her pulse to improve and she's struggling to breath so she has an oxygen mask on"

I nod. "Is she awake?"

He shakes his head. "I'm afraid not, she might not be for a while either. She's in a very deep unconscious state, making her able to wake up very hard"

"So she's okay?"

"Yes, she should be okay" he smiles.

A nurse comes running over. "Doctor"

"Yes? What's the problem?"

"It's room two-two-six, miss Everdeen is struggling to breath. They're doing CPR on her now"

"Sorry, I have to go"

"W-wait, is she going to be okay?" I croak as tears fill my eyes.

"She should be, it could possibly be the oxygen mask that cause it not herself"

I nod. He goes rushing off down the hall to Katniss' room. I go back and slouch down onto my seat. "What's happening?" They ask. I explain everything what the doctor told me to them. "She hasn't eaten it drank in nearly a month?!" I nod.

The doctor comes back. "Peeta?" I stand up and walk over. "Would you and your friends like to see her? It's safe for people to see her now" I nod and gesture the others to follow.

We walk down the hall and stop outside her door. He opens her door and we follow. I walk over and sit in the seat next to her bed. "What's the tube going to her mouth for?"

"That's to feed her while she is unconscious. So when she starts eating again she shouldn't be too bad as she's been eating" I nod. He leaves the room and we all just stare at her. She doesn't look like her at all. I wouldn't of recognised her if it wasn't for her scars.

We stay there for the rest of the day. The others decide to go and her a mc Donald's because the hospital food is disgusting. I agree to stay here though. After about five minutes of them gone I hear beeps starting to speed up. My hand is entwined with hers. I look over to her heart monitor to see it beating faster than it was earlier. I look back to see weak, silver-grey eyes staring at me.