Prologue

*It is a must to watch Bleach prior to reading this. Please come back after completing the series. This story is pre-canon of Bleach.

PROLOGUE - HOW I DIED

Most people would tour the prominent cities of Japan, like Tokyo or even Osaka for a change. However, I wanted to see what Japan looked without foreigners crowding around, snapping photos, and disturbing my personal space.

Letting out a sigh, I held out the map of my location, Karakura Town, a suburban town in Western Tokyo. I scanned the map, noticing the shopping area nearby, and made the decision to explore there. I folded the parchment, arriving at a crosswalk, glancing left to right, and waited for the cars to pass by.

It wasn't that crowded in Karakura Town. It was peaceful, silent, and pleasant. It was nice, especially compared to the overly populated Asian city I grew up in. While Hong Kong was my home, I've always hated the crowds, feeling compacted and squeezing my way through the sea of people.

I moved to the United States in my teens, away from the busy city, and settled down in a quiet neighborhood, graduated high school, and now I spend my time traveling the world.

I needed a break from my lackluster life. Friendless, raised in a family where business was prioritized over spending time with me. I don't blame them for it since it was how we afforded our lifestyle.

I travel to distract from reality, escaping everything back home. I avoided unnecessary interactions, built up my taste for exotic flavors which led to me wanting to major in culinary arts.

What made my life, especially while traveling, interesting was my ability to see the undead, specifically spirits. At least, while it lasted...

I let out another sigh, snapping out of my thoughts as I realized that I dwelled too long, noticing the ginger cat on the other side, its hungry gaze on a small piece of bread. I watched it carefully, internally cooing at how utterly adorable it was while at the same time, I worried for its safety, its body lowered in anticipation, swaying its hips eagerly.

I gritted my teeth as I predicted what would happen next, it pounced towards the middle of the street, oblivious to the car rushing towards it. My body moved on its own before I could think of my own safety, I scared the cat away before the vehicle crashed into me.

It felt like all oxygen was knocked out of my lungs, my side screaming in agony upon impact. I collapsed, feeling lightheaded, fading in and out of consciousness. The distorted sounds of the yowls of a cat rang in my ears as darkness filled my vision.