Chapter 6: 13th Squad Lieutenant

I somehow managed to relay her message to everyone...

Rukia broke out in tears while everyone thanked me for my hard work, they were all worried, since I was the only person that witnessed two deaths in one night. Personally hearing their last words.

I haven't left my room ever since...Every single night, their last words echoed in my head, giving me intense headaches.

Ukitake comes to bring me food sometimes, but, leaves it to someone else on days when he was too ill to move.

A knock sounded the door, "Come in." I said, watching as Hisagi came in, holding a tray of food."Hey, Suzuki, I heard what happened..." He trailed off, placing the tray on the coffee table, looking for words as he sat beside me.

I didn't want to say anything to anyone in my squad, I didn't want to cause them any more pain. But, Hisagi wasn't from my squad, his presence broke the words I kept holding back.

"I couldn't warn them," I suddenly spoke up, tears coming back as I spoke.

"Every time I attempted to speak up, my voice would disappear until I change the topic. Every time I attempted to write a letter, my hand would stop moving until I decide not to. I could only warn them through my training and intense hugs." I explained as I sobbed in guilt and grief.

He reached out to me, hugging me close as I cried on his back, "Listen, the fact that you saw this coming and kept going on until it happened is incredible on its own. So just let it all out, all the baggage you kept hidden for their sake." He prompted as he caressed my head.

And so, I did, sobbing and crying out in anguish, so that I could continue moving on.

-

"Are you done?" He asked as I sniffed, wiping away my remaining tears as I ate my food, "Yeah, you still have something to tell me, spit it out." I stated, grabbing for the soup.

"Captain Ukitake says he wants you to be his lieutenant

"Captain Ukitake says he wants you to be his lieutenant." He said as I began drinking from the bowl, I placed the bowl down. Looking up at him, "Then, I guess it's about time I trained for Bankai." I stated, holding up my chopsticks.

"I've also been recently appointed lieutenant of the 9th division, we finally kept up to our promise from back then, didn't we." He said, grinning up at me.

I couldn't help but smile back, "Yeah, we finally did."

"Let's meet up sometime and train like we usually do, we can train for Bankai together." He offered as I ate a piece of grilled fish, swallowing, I answered, "Are you sure? I thought you didn't want me to see your Zanpakuto."

"When did I say that?" He asked, making me realize that I was speaking of an alternate future event.

The thing about precognition, people are constantly changing the future with their intense wills, leaving more than one future to see. These become our alternate worlds.

Of course, that doesn't apply to me, in exchange for the ability I was lost of that privilege.

"In an alternate world, don't worry about it," I said, waving him off.

"Okay? So, I take that as a yes?" he asked, his eyes unnerving me as he stared at me, something in those eyes reminded me of a certain future...

"Of course!" I responded, beaming up at him, "T-That's good." He stuttered as he flickered his eyes everywhere but me.

Knowing why, I came up with an idea, "Remember when you slept on my lap that one time?" I asked as he stiffened, he looked back at me warily, "Y-Yeah?"

"I noticed that your hair was pretty soft, seriously, it had a great texture to it! What conditioner do you use?" I asked, snickering internally as he blushed,

he realized that I implied that I touched his hair as he slept, "U-Um, I use the Shiseido AQUAIR Conditioner." He stuttered, attempting to hide his face.

"Are you okay?" I asked, wanting to see more of this version of himself, I loved seeing him all flustered, it was adorable!

"I-I'm fine!" He said, flustered.

"Anyways, let's set up a time to meet up! Captain Ukitake is likely to let us use our squads' training grounds, we can go ask him when he's recovered." I said as if nothing significant happened, grabbing a pen as I walked to the hanging calendar in my room.

"O-Oh, um, I'm free on Mondays and Tuesdays." He recovered, standing up as I wrote down a reminder for every Monday, "Then we'll train every Monday at dusk." I said.

He double-checked from behind me and gave me a nod in agreement, "You should finish your food." He suggested, pointing to my half-eaten meal.

We continued to catch up with each other as I ate, laughing over funny stories and talked about our squads' characteristics.

We talked until the sunset when somebody came in to retrieve Hisagi."See you next Monday then, we'll meet here in my squad," I said, giving him my farewell as he left.

-

The next day, I visited Ukitake to discuss my promotion as Lieutenant, he informed me of the lieutenants' duties and work before he sent the notice to Central 46.

Now we have to wait a month until I officially become Lieutenant, I didn't like how I was replacing Kaien's position, but I have to follow what Miyako said and live my life fulfilled.

The next adventure will be coming soon, I have to achieve Bankai until then so that I can be more helpful next time.

My deadline is the day Rukia is sent to the world of the living...