Chapter 1: A Fateful Encounter

I think I'm dead...

Yeah, I'm definitely dead.

My dead body is being taken to the ambulance as we speak, just wait until you see the news pronounce me dead. The banner would probably say, "Foreign girl died in a car crash."

I noticed that I had some kind of chain connected to my chest, it reaches all the way to my body, where the chain was cut in between. That pretty much proves that I won't miraculously come back alive.

Sighing, I glanced down to the ginger cat beside me, she's rubbing against my legs in appreciation. I guess it's true that cats could see spirits.

She reminds me of the one I have back at home, I'll probably miss Puma.

It's weird, I'm not sad at all... I guess being apathetic comes with being dead too.

I walked to the shopping area, passing by people, oblivious to my existence.

The sound of giggling girls distracted me, I scowled and faced them, they all held different kinds of ice cream and some other street food. I gazed upon the chocolate crepe, frowning as I recalled the multiple different foods I've tasted in all my travels. 

I'll miss eating food...

Ugh, this is going to suck.

-

It's been two days already, I've been exploring aimlessly through Karakura Town. The cat is still following me, I am afraid she'll probably die out of starvation.

Concerned for the poor thing, I realized I should probably lead her to a family that will take her in.

I stumbled upon a store with its lights still on, the banner revealed the name of the store. Urahara Shop.

I opened the garage door, letting the cat in and turned around, only to find a man staring upon me, he wears a green coat, a weird hat, and wears Geta as shoes.

I look up in confusion and attempt to walk around him, "You could at least tell me your name before you leave, miss." I jumped in shock when he spoke, Is this man speaking to me?

"Are you talking to me?" I asked in spite, he pulled up a fan and leaned forward as he spoke, "Why of course! A girl like you shouldn't be walking around at night alone."

I crossed my arms, raising my eyebrow to show my interest, "My name is Suzuki Ichika, my actual name is Pearl Lau. I am the foreign girl that died in a car crash, saving a cat." He leaned back, it seems he isn't that surprised.

"Konbanwa, Suzuki-san, would you like me to take care of the cat you left behind in my store?" Snap! He asked as he closed the fan.

"Yeah, if you could. Thank you very much." I bowed humbly, sweating nervously.

He laughed it off, saying that he would take care of her and let me leave. I walked away in slight confusion, brushing it off, I continued my midnight exploring.

A sudden howl vibrated through the area, very effectively freaking me out. It was close, I don't know what it is, but it was close.

I slowly started to sprint, I could feel its murderous intent from where I stood, alerts rang in my mind as I gritted my teeth in fear.

I froze up when I realized it was getting closer to me.

I think it's chasing me.

No.

I know it's chasing me.

I ran harder than I ever thought I could, my heart was pounding loud enough for anyone to hear. Screaming won't do me good, I need to keep breathing. If I don't, my body won't have enough energy to last.

Panting, I turned a corner and continued to run as its howls vibrate the ground beneath.

A sudden explosion pushed me to the ground, I looked back and found a man standing before me. He wore a a white (Under clothing), a black (Small sleeve), a black, a white hakama-himo, white (Foot pouch).

I am so glad I learned about the traditional clothing of Japan while learning Japanese, Well! Back to my almost second dying experience! The monster is sliced in half, currently disappearing as we speak

The man had black spiky hair and a sword in between his hands, a sheath strapped on his left, He is most likely the one that killed the monster that was chasing me down.

"Hey! Are you okay?" He asked, in concern for me. I stood up from the ground and nodded in slight shock, "I'm fine, who are you?" I asked warily, he grinned and sheathed his sword as he answered, "The name's Shiba Kaien, a pleasure to meet you."

He said as he took out a hand for me to shake, I shook it while answering, "My name is Suzuki Ichika, I am a foreign girl that died from a car crash. What was that monster?" He kept a reassuring smile, keeping a peaceful attitude,

"I am a shinigami, and the monster that was chasing you is called a Hollow. It seeks out souls with high reiatsu and consume them. It is my job as a shinigami to kill it and cleanse its soul so that it would pass through to Soul Society peacefully."

I somehow understood that perfectly, he's pretty good at this.

"Wait, what's Soul Society?" He kneeled in front of me, looking at me at eyes level-

Yes, he's THAT tall.

-and took out his sword, he had the hilt near my head. "Soul Society is a place souls who have found peace goes to when they die, souls like you, who haven't found peace is stuck here. Unless I forcibly send you there, that is." He explained, I silently praised him for his perfect explanation once more before answering.

I gave him a nod, "Go ahead, I've got nothing to do here anyway." He smiled gratefully and used the hilt of his sword to touch my head, a bright light blinded me.

I adjusted my eyes. When things became clear I found myself in a large town bustling with people moving to crowd me immediately.

Great! Large crowds! Just what I need!

My hands dragged down my face as I groaned out in displeasure, "What do I do?".