Aashnaa (2)

Naa jaane kab, woh rishta ban gaya

Koi anjaana, naa jaane kab apna ban gaya..

Hume ehsaas bhi na hua,

Aur koi, hamari zindagi ki zaroorat ban gaya...

(~Unkown)

___________________________

There was a hustle bustle in the Khan Mansion. Today, a family was coming to see Aayat.

Aayat was yet again ready for another rejection. She was now used to it.

Rukhsana Begum, had seen Aayat in some wedding and was quite impressed by her. On inquiring a little about her, she got to know that Aayat belonged to a very respected family. Somehow she got to know most of the things about Aayat, except the fact that she couldn't conceive. Without much delay, she asked for Aayat's hand for her eldest son, Ayaan.

After the initial formalities, Ayaan and Aayat were allowed to talk privately.

Aayat couldn't speak much due to her nervousness and shyness whereas Ayaan asked her a few basic questions. A few minutes and both were called back.

Rukhsana Begum, was a woman with old orthodox thinking. She was not in the favour of girls going out of the house and being free. According to her, girls were supposed to be confined in a house, doing her wifely duties and taking care of house and kitchen.

Rukhsana Begum had made everything very clear to Mr and Mrs Khan. Aayat was a bit hesitant thinking about the restrictions Rukhsana Begum will enforce upon her if she agreed to become her daughter in law. But one look at her stressed parents, and she was ready to endure anything. And anyways, she knew she is going to face rejection once again.

"Acha Rubina ab hume ijaazat do. Hum tumhe humara faisla jald hi bataege"

Rukhsana Begum patted Aayat's head and left.

************

"Kya?"

Aayat couldn't believe her ears. She was shocked would be an understatement.

"Aapne sahi toh suna na? "

Aayat asked her mother.

"Haa meri jaan. Abhi bas 10 minute pehle unhone phone karke haa ki hai, unhe tum pasand aa gayi"

Her mother kissed her forehead and hugged her, tears shining in her eyes. Aayat still couldn't believe that she wasn't rejected this time, and then suddenly something clicked in her mind.

She broke the hug and looked at her mother with wide eyes. She just prayed whatever she was thinking wasn't true.

"Ammi, aap ne unhe mere baare me sab bataya hai na?"

On hearing her question, Mrs Khan averted her eyes and tried to change the topic. But Aayat got her answer.

"Ammi, aapne itni badi baat unse kyu chupaayi?"

Aayat was frustrated with her mother's behaviour.

"Beta, tum samajhti kyu nahi."

"Nahi Ammi, me aise kisi ko dhoka nahi de sakti. Aap abhi unhe call kare aur sab sach bata de. "

Aayat was angry. She knew her parents were stressed about her future and wanted to see her settled. But she never wanted to start new relations by hidding things.

"Aayat, please samajhne ki koshish karo. Humne ab unhe bata diya toh.. Nahi hum abhi unhe Kuch Nahi bata rahe. Aur behtaar hoga ki tum bhi is baat Ka zikr kisi se na karo"

"Par ammi-"

Before Aayat could say anything else, Mrs Khan left the room.

************

Three months later

Today was Aayat and Ayaan's wedding. After Rukhsana Begum accepted Aayat, she didn't want much delay in the marriage. And then the wedding was decided three months later, and today was the day.

Aayat had met Ayaan three times in these three months, and she had already started liking him.

Ayaan was a gentleman. He was not a talkative person, but his actions were enough.

Only a few trustable relatives were called from Aayat's family. Her parents didn't want anyone to create problems in Aayat's marriage, so they decided to keep her marriage functions private.

Though Rukhsana Begum was a little skeptical about this arrangement, they convinced her giving her some excuses.

***

Aayat now was sitting in Ayaan's room as his wife. She was a nervous mess. She had been sitting here for last half an hour and Ayaan had still not come.

Ayaan's sister and cousins had already given her so many instructions before leaving the room, making her more nervous.

A few minutes later, she heard the door opening. Sweat beads formed on her forehead and she clutched her lehanga with her fists. She could hear footsteps coming near her, but didn't had the courage to look up.

**************