Chapter 1- The accident

It was dark. So dark. The radio was on quietly, but the sound was over taken by the tapping of the wipers, flicking off the rain water that was hammering down onto the car. Me and my mom had been to visit my grandma. She lived a few miles away so it was always a long journey to get there,  and then it seemed like an even longer one to get back. I'd been sat in the car for at least fourty five minutes, I got bored quick and my Ipod had run out of battery so I couldn't listen to music. A buzzing came from the dashboard in front of me, I lent over and opened it then pulled out my mom's Iphone, it was lit up and read, 'Katy Calling'. 

"Sammie, answer the phone to your sister please, whilst I'm driving," my mom asked, not making eye contact and keeping her eyes on the road.

I slid my finger across the screen and answered the call. 

"Hey Katy, it's Sammie, mom's driving at the minute" 

"Hey hun, where abouts are you?" she asked, she'd recently just finished promoting her movie so we hadn't seen her in a few weeks, she'd come over from LA to see us. I loved seeing Katy, she was the only sibling I had,  and she was the only proof that I was even related to this family. I was nothing like my mother or my father. We had nothing in common really, my parent's were strict though, my life's just 100% Christian. I was like Katy, people would always tell me I was the spitting image of her, except I was blonde. She had freedom, mom and dad couldn't tell her what to do anymore, they weren't ecstatic about the way she lived, some of the music she sung, but it was her life and she was in control now. I wanted to be like that. I wanted to be able to listen to innapropriate music like every other 15 year old, without having to sneak it into my room and play it quietly. 

"We've just come off the freeway, we'll be about 10 minutes," 

"Okay babes, see you soon," 

"Bye," I put the phone down and put it back in the dashboard. 

I lent back in my seat, feeling the now warmed up leather sticking to the bottom of my back where my t-shirt had come up. I looked out in front of me, the rain was getting harder and it was pitch black, the road was hardly visible. I felt shivers across my body, I was freezing, I looked behind me at the empty seats looking for something to cover myself up with. I saw my dad's jacket that had been left there, I reached over to grab it, but my seatbelt was pulling me back. I sat up a bit and lent further, but I still couldn't reach it. I felt next to me, I pressed the red button and undid my seat belt, which allowed me to grab the jacket. I pulled the jacket over my legs and then reached for my seat belt. But it was too late. The car swirved and spun, I would hear the screaching of the tires burning along the road, the pavement until... CRASH. I felt my whole body become numb as I smashed through the front window.