Our Current Lives

"Avy, who was that?" asked Ziri; a look of concern on his face. "Oh,  that was just I.B' I said quickly trying not to throw more light into the conversation. 'What is she thinking about? A penny for your thoughts Miss' he said feigning a British accent that didn't suit him of course, but made me feel better ( Gosh, what would I do without him). "I'm just remembering those horrible incidences that happened in SS2; although the trauma stopped before we entered SS3 it still haunts me because I still saw their faces and some of them would find ways to mock me" I said with so much tears in my eyes. "I wonder how on earth I would have survived if not for Amanda or Iyin especially you. I wish I listened to your instinct earlier like I always did I wouldn't have been in that situation" I said as I cried seriously. He hugged me and allowed me to cry on him without worrying about his clothes. I seriously cried then continued "I haven't seen Amanda or Iyin for years although we are still in touch but they are no longer in  abuja.

Amanda is in london doing her Masters and Iyin relocated with her family to Lagos. You are the only one I can turn to but you have your own life to live. I am really trying my best to get my frustrating colleagues to like me which is really difficult because they think I got the job using my family status and not my effort but we both know it isn't true. The only friendly persons I can talk to are Mia, Zara and a few other persons working there but about 85% or more of the staff do not like me. They just give me a hard time and I am already used to situations like this but I don't know how long I'll be able to cope with it. I just want to do something that would help take my mind off these things and I want to be cheered for something they all know I truly did and not stupid thoughts of being helped by my parents. If they truly knew what I was going through, they won't dare open their mouth. They have the sick mind set that we children born into wealthy families are always spoilt and have their parents do all the hard work for them but it isn't true. I've made up my mind to stop caring about what they say or do to me rather I'll calm myself down by doing my favourite hobbies" I said.

"Like music" he said with a smirk. I laughed and said " not only that; I can swim, gym, watch Netflix, read watt pad and be satisfied" I said. "Now forget about me and let's plan how you're going to ask my friend out after I'm done with brunch, it's 1:00p.m already" how time flies.

After brunch he helped me clean up, we spent the rest of our time discussing what we girls love, do not like and what makes us uncomfortable then we were talking about Mia till a call spoilt the moment. "Avy Dims, this is really an important call; I'll call you when I get home, take care" he said as he dressed up quickly and rushed out of the house in a hurry. "Bye Ziri" I said slightly disappointed because I was alone like always.

It was already 4:30p.m so I decided to take a walk. I changed from my shorts to sweatpants, took my phone and airpods and went for a walk. During my walk, I saw happy families and friends hanging out at the Barbecue area; it was a pleasant evening and I enjoyed the breeze making my long braids swing as I walked. I saw an advert on a banner saying DJs were needed; and applications did not start until two weeks from now and the interviews last for a month before it closes. I had a passion for music so I snapped it because I was having second thoughts so I continued my walk.

I started recalling  what happened today ; including hearing from I.B. I can't believe he had the nerve to call me after what he did to me. All the humiliation, embarrassment and difficulties I went through because of him all came back to me because of a stupid call. I decided to get some Barbecue and Pizza then got home, had a bath and changed into my night gown. I decided to forget about my worries and watch some series on Netflix; I finally went to bed by 9:00p.m but I couldnt sleep so I called Ziri to talk to him.

"You couldn't stop thinking about me, could you?" he said instead of saying 'Hello' like a normal human being. Its kind of funny but weird; outside your comfort zone you have to be mature but when your with your close friends you can behave the way you want forgetting the fact you are no longer a child. 'Yo' he said when I snapped back to reality. "What is this himan being thinking about again " he laughed. "Nothing leave me alone" I laughed back. "I was just checking on you besides you never called back?" I answered. "Okay oh" he chuckled then his tone became serious.

"Avy, I need to tell you something important; do not scream on the phone but I had to do it" he said. "Okay, what did you do?" I asked "Its about that urgent stuff I was in a hurry for. A colleague of mine wanted me to prepare a particular contract for an important client so I was asked to meet up with that person by 4:30p.m. I didn't know where exactly until he called me and sent me the address by 1 p.m this afternoon. The meeting was scheduled for 4:30p.m. so i wasn't worried but I didn't know how much time I had spent till I was called to ask if I was on my way. I was slightly lucky because it was in your estate but four roads away from your street. When I got to the venue, I couldn't believe who the client was" he paused.  "Talk now, stop keeping me in suspense" I grumbled out of impatience. "It was I.B.................