Chapter 44

ALEX'S POV

" We should do something tonight." My mom says, looking up from her book. I look at her from across the room.

" Don't you and Dad have a work trip that you have to leave for tomorrow morning?" I ask, and she sighs.

" Yes, honey. But we could go out for dinner or something like that?" She says in a hoping tone, and I shoot her a smile. 

" Sounds good to me." I nod, and she claps her hands excitedly.

" So, where are we gonna-" She starts, but is cut off by my phone ringing. 

" I'll be right back." I stand up, walking into the hall and answering my phone.

" Alex?" I hear Noah's voice, and I immediately smile. 

" What's up?" I say, and he stays silent. A few seconds later, I hear a sniffle from my phone.

" Noah? Why the hell are you crying?" I ask, and he sniffles again.

" Can you come over right now?" He questions, and I peek out the hallway to see my mom reading her book. 

" Yeah." I respond quickly, hanging up and rushing upstairs to put on a shirt. Once I slip on a dark green hoodie, I run down the stairs to the shoe closet. I grab the first shoes I find, which happen to be some random white nikes. When I make it to the door, my mom clears her throat. 

" Where are you going?" She questions, and I stand up as I finish tying my shoes.

" Just to Noah's, I'll be home soon." I quickly say, slipping my phone in my pocket.

" Ok, love you!" She shouts, and I respond with a 'love you too' before running to the garage and opening the side door. I grab my bike quickly, almost running into the side of Carson's car. Once I get my bike out, I shut the door and head down the sidewalk. I would usually just walk, but I'm really in a hurry and I can't drive so a bike is my best bet. As I bike down the sidewalk, faster than I should be going, I fly across the street without looking.

" Watch where you're going, kid!" A man yells out the window of his old truck. I hold out my middle finger behind me, and he honks his horn loudly before driving off. 

When I finally make it to Noah's house, I see that there are no cars in the usually occupied driveway. Throwing my bike down in the yard, I quickly open the door without knocking. 

" Noah!" I yell loudly, looking around the empty living room. 

" Upstairs." I hear him say, and I run up the stairs before opening his bedroom door. I immediately see him sitting on his bed. He's wearing just some black joggers, a blanket wrapped around his shoulders. I also see that he his holding his cat, Spooky.

I walk over and sit on his bed, facing him. 

" Hey." I say, and he looks up.

" Hi." He responds, his voice hoarse. We sit in silence for a moment, until I speak up.

" So, what's up?" I question quietly, shifting my body so that I'm cross legged. 

" It's really stupid... I don't even know why I called you- I'm sorry you didn't-" 

" Noah, it's fine." I cut his rambling short, and he looks down.

" Ok... I've just been feeling like shit all day, like- headache, chills, back pain, and I feel sick whenever I eat.... and... I'm really scared." He rambles again, looking flushed. I nod slowly, and he keeps going.

" I've had cancer three times in my life, Alex! I know it's not likely that it will come back, but whenever I feel a slight pain, I'm terrified. I know I should stop being so scared, but it really messes me up." Noah admits, looking like he's about to burst into tears again.

" That's normal! There's nothing wrong with being scared. You've been through s-" I start to comfort him, but he pulls me into a tight hug before I can finish. Spooky leaps off the bed quickly, not wanting to be crushed between us. Wrapping my arms around Noah, I trace shapes on his back. Although I can't see his face, the way he's shaking gives away the fact that he is crying. As I hold him, I can only think of one thing.

He deserves the world. 

~

A/N:

Hiiiii! I'm really sorry that I haven't updated in a while, I'm also sorry for such a short chapter. I'm working on a really big chapter with Carson, so don't get angry at me.💕 

Now. On a more serious note, there's a lot of atrocious things going on this year. The racial profiling needs to stop. When an unarmed black man is killed, most likely because of the color of his skin, there is going to be rioting. EVERY race matters. If you judge someone based on how they look, your just ignorant. We NEED equal rights. Why should a black woman get weird looks when she is in the store? Why should people say " hide your dogs" when a Chinese citizen walks in the room? ( this has happened in my school.) We are all human beings, no matter what we look like. Thin, thick, black, white, we are on this earth together. Instead of using your voice to tell people that being black makes you different, or a criminal, or that being a part of the LGBTQ+ community is wrong, take the opportunity to spread positivity. You can't change the color of your skin, it's not a choice. So stop the hate. Being black isn't a crime. Protest safely, if your going to protest. We still need to be safe, but also be heard. BLACK LIVES MATTER.✊🏼✊🏽✊🏾✊🏿

                         #JUSTICEFORGEORGEFLOYD

                         #BLACKLIVESMATTER

                          #STANDTOGETHER