Chapter Ten: Unexpected

I turned around to see Rosé walking over to Chungha from wherever she had been sitting. I didn't even think she'd bother to come to the game. I never thought of sports as being her "thing." But then again, I guess people can surprise you sometimes.

"I hate to say this, but I've got no other choice," Chungha sighed and looked at Rosé. "Are you sure you can handle this?"

"Positive," she replied. "I have first aid training, after all."

"Okay," Chungha said. "Take her to the locker room. There should be a first aid kit in there somewhere."

"Yes, ma'am."

Rosé walked over to me and held out her hand. I looked at her, surprised, but grabbed it anyway. Immediately after I stood up, I felt a jolting pain in my foot, which she noticed. She wrapped my arm around her shoulder and placed hers around my waist, helping me walk to the locker room.

Once we entered, she sat me down on one of the benches and rushed around, looking for the first aid kit. She soon found it, and got out some sort of disinfecting liquid to help.

"Hold still," she said calmly. "This might sting a little."

She pressed the dampened cloth against the side of my head. I winced upon contact. It hurt like hell, but I knew that I had to stay calm for Rosé. I looked up at the blonde, who was so focused on treating my injuries that she didn't even look me in the eye.

"Why did you even bother helping?" I asked her. "It's not like anyone forced you to do this. You came at your own free will."

She sighed, taking the cloth off my head. "Have you ever heard of the Golden Rule?"

"The one we used to say in kindergarten all the time?"

Rosé nodded. "Yeah. Treat others as you would like to be treated. There's truth in that statement, you know."

"Even if there is," I sighed. "I thought you hated me."

"I see why you would think that," she chuckled. "But I don't hate you. Not in the slightest. I was just....dealing with some stuff when we met."

"Betcha I got more stuff."

"Try me," she hissed, which made me laugh a bit. "In short, I saw you needed help, and I wanted to help you."

"Thank you," I smiled, but then winced at the pain in my head.

"Sorry," Rosé said, taking the cloth off. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Why'd you go for the shot?"

"I felt like I had to," I sighed. "This game is really important to me. My dad, he..." I trailed off, unable to find the words.

"Has an expectation for you?" Rosé finished for me.

"Yeah, exactly. How'd you know?"

"My parents are the same way. They want me to follow in the footsteps of my sister," she said.

"And do you want to do that?" I asked.

"I'm not really sure," she shrugged. "It's something that I've been working for all my life. I've been getting into higher level classes, studying non-stop, using SGA as a bullet point on my college applications. It's the only thing I've ever known."

"What would you want to do instead?"

"This sounds kinda crazy, but I want to do music." She smiled. "Like, become a songwriter or something like that."

"That's not crazy at all," I said.

"Really?"

"Yeah," I chuckled. "When it comes to your future, you should do whatever makes you happy, not others."

"I could say the same for you," she replied. "What's your story?"

"Well, Dad's always had me playing basketball ever since I could make a team. It's pretty much become my life. Don't get me wrong, I love basketball, but I don't really want to pursue it."

"What do you want to pursue?" Rosé asked, propping her head up on her hand.

"I've always wanted to dance," I said, a grin coming to my face. "I know that doesn't really get you very far as a career, at least that's what my dad says, but I think I'd be happy doing it."

"You know," she began. "A wise girl once told me, 'When it comes to your future, you should do whatever makes you happy, not others.'"

I giggled. "You think I'm wise?"

"Of course!" she replied. "You seem to always get really good grades, but you never try for valedictorian or anything. Why is that?"

"Dad never thought it was that important," I shrugged. "He just wanted me to get a sports scholarship, get the baseline college education, and then go into professional athletics. You know, I think part of it is because he wants to make up for the fact that he never got to have a boy to raise. He would've done much better with a boy named Lucas than a girl named Lisa."

It was a strange feeling to get all of that off my chest. I'd never really vocalized my opinions about my father to anyone. Not even Jennie or Joy. That being said, I didn't dislike my dad. He was a nice guy and was really trying for me. But ever since my mom passed away, he's had to raise me all on his own. He was just so accustomed to raising boys, since he had a little brother, that he had no idea what to do with me. I hung my head a bit, but then I felt a delicate hand lift my chin up.

"Hey, don't say that," Rosé said sweetly, a different way than how she usually talked to me. "Your dad loves you a lot and he's trying to do the best he can. Sure, maybe he wasn't fully ready for the whole parenting gig, but look at you. You've grown up to be a smart, talented, independent young woman. And he'll be proud of you no matter what."

I felt tears come to my eyes as she spoke. I had no idea that Rosé was capable of this amount of kindness. I normally stayed very optimistic in everything, but today was just one of the off days, and she was still there. To think that I thought this girl hated me for practically all of our high school years.

Without thinking, I wrapped my arms around her, bringing her into a hug. I let a few tears trickle down my cheeks, which fell onto her shoulder. After a moment, I felt her arms wrap around me too. We stayed in that hug for what felt like an eternity, with her sweetly holding me tight.

Then, I did something that I never thought I would. I released my grasp on her and sat up, gazing into her dark, crystalline eyes. Unconsciously, I felt myself inching closer to her, until my rougher lips collided with her soft, pink ones. I expected her to pull away sharply and be disgusted by me, but shockingly, she didn't. Instead, she kissed back.

I felt her hand grab the side of my face tenderly and pull me in closer. Thankfully, it was the side that wasn't sore. I wrapped my arms around her waist, feeling the small of her back. Her hands dug farther into my hair as she moved on top of me. I swear, I thought I heard a moan escape from the blonde's mouth. Eventually, I had to pull away for air. As I was about to go back for more, I heard the scoreboard ring out, signalling the end of the game.

"I-I've got to go," Rosé said, quickly getting off me as she straightened out her skirt. "Bye, Lisa."

"Bye, Rosé," I smiled.

"It's Rosie," she winked back.