Chapter Twelve: The Test

Jisoo's P.O.V.

I laid on my bed, gazing up at the galaxy that was painted on my ceiling. I admired the deep purples and blues that swirled together and the silver dots that shone beautifully. Normally, when I thought of galaxies and the universe, I'd think of stars and planets, but now, all I could think of was Jennie.

I had never seen her this vulnerable until tonight. She seemed so helpless and saddened. Hell, she cried in my arms! I don't know what it was that was bothering her, but it must have hit her like a truck. Jennie Kim didn't crack under pressure like that every other day.

But even so, I'd never seen her act this way around anyone, not even Irene or Lisa. And especially not around someone who she's only interacted with for about a week. The way she clung to me, it was like she was holding on to a life raft. I didn't mind having her up close to me, though. In fact, I kind of liked it.

Wait.

Not like that.

I shot up in bed, as if I'd just seen a ghost. It couldn't be, could it? Did I actually like her? No, I definitely didn't. She's straight and out of my league, so even if I did like her, there was no chance in hell that she would feel the same. I shrugged off those thoughts as I laid back down in bed. Just as I was getting comfortable, my phone started ringing angrily. Who could it be? It was midnight, for Christ's sake!

"Jennie?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jennie's P.O.V.

My head started to ache as I sat down at my desk. As much as Jisoo's support helped me mentally, I was still in a lot of physical pain. My panic attack had thankfully ceased, but with it brought a stomach ache and a headache. I groaned as I kicked off my shoes. Why did this have to happen to me? On today of all days?

But I know that I couldn't have made it through the day without Jisoo. She was such a sweet, kindhearted girl. She had no reason to help me, but she did it anyway. She showed me so much compassion tonight that I knew I could never repay her.

However, there was something more that I wanted and I had no idea why. I wanted her to always hold me the way she did. I wanted to fall asleep resting on her shoulder. I wanted to nuzzle my head into her neck as she wrapped her arms around me. But I knew that she'd never want to do those things with me.

A jolt of pain hit me in the gut as I collapsed on my bed. This pain was too unbearable. I couldn't take it anymore. So, I did what any reasonable person would do. I checked Google. Oh, c'mon! I can't be the first person who's used Google as a doctor. All the articles that I was reading came to the same consensus, which I wasn't prepared for: pregnancy.

That couldn't be true, right? The last time I had sex was two months ago right before I broke up with Kai. Plus, we were being safe. At least I think so. I was very drunk that night, so I don't really remember. But even if we hadn't been safe, I would've seen symptoms earlier, right? I mean, that was two months ago!

I quickly shut my computer and pulled off my cheer uniform. I slipped on a pair of jeans and a black shirt and walked out the door of my room. My mom wasn't home right now, nor was she ever, so it was incredibly easy to sneak out. I didn't know what I was doing, but all I knew is that I had to get to the bottom of this somehow.

Thankfully, there was a gas station not too far from my subdivision. Yes, it was still a bit of a walk, but I had no other choice. I pulled on a leather jacket and strolled out onto the sidewalk near my street.

I tried to distract myself by listening to music, but it didn't seem to help. My thoughts overpowered me. What if I really was pregnant? Could I have an abortion, or was it too late? Would I have to drop out of high school? Would I get the chance to go to college? How would my mom take it? Would my dad show up to see his grandchild?

I growled under my breath as I found myself in the gas station parking lot. It was practically deserted, which makes sense, because it was almost midnight. My feet had started to hurt, but that's just what I get for wearing a low heel.

I opened the door to the quaint shop, which was as deserted as the rest of the place. I never really had to go there often, unless I was picking up some snacks with Lisa. She would always grab at least three chocolate milks from the fridge before leaving and never share. I stumbled across the personal care aisle, where I immediately found the pink box I was looking for. I was about to open it when I heard a voice.

"You have to pay for that, you know," a red-headed cashier said.

Thankfully, I remembered to bring my wallet. I fumbled around, handing her a 10. She was about to give me some money back, but I stopped her.

"Keep the change." I hurried over to the restroom.

This definitely wasn't how I planned for my night to go, but here we are. I took the strange white stick out of its box and exhaled. It's okay, Jen. You can do this. I followed the instructions just as the side of the box said and waited for a few moments. Soon enough, a line appeared on the little circle of the stick. But that wasn't all. A fainter line appeared right next to it too.

"Fuck," I whisper-yelled as I punched the wall with my fist.

I disposed of the test and walked out of the stall. Quickly, I washed my hands and left the restroom, telling the cashier to have a nice night on my way out. It took me a few steps out the door, but soon it all came rushing to me.

I was pregnant.

I felt tears coming down my cheeks as I leaned my body up against the wall of the store. This couldn't be happening. I knew that I'd wake up and this would all be a bad dream, right? There's no way that this could be reality. But it was.

Fumbling through my purse, I grabbed my phone. I couldn't be alone right now. I just couldn't. I scrolled through my contacts, looking for someone that I could trust. Most people I found definitely wouldn't be up this late and lived too far away to help, so my options steadily decreased. However, I came across one person's name who I hoped would answer. The phone rang for a while before I heard a voice on the other line.

"Jennie?"