Part Three | The First Steps

Rolling right along, guys. Hope you enjoy 🖤
_______
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

3rd Person POV

One week.

One whole week had passed since you'd undergone the UA entrance exams. One week of overthinking and worrying over your placement.

One week of thinking you hasn't scored enough points.

One whole week of absolute torture waiting on your results and it was driving Nemuri up a wall.

"Y/n, you passed. I know you did." she reassures you for what seemed like the millionth time today.

It wasn't even noon yet.

"I can't help it..." you frown, wringing your hands as you sit at the table for breakfast. You had spare gloves at home so, despite losing the last pair during the exam, you had backups just in case. You pushed around your scrambled eggs and prop your cheek in your palm. "Forty points isn't bad but it isn't stellar either..." you mumble. "I know I did okay on the written exam but what if combined, it isn't enough?"

Nemuri sighed, breaking you out of your thoughts by tapping you on the head with the newspaper.

"Remember, I was present with the other heroes observing the exams. You made quite the impression, Y/n and I'm sure you passed." she spared you a small smile. "On top of that, you learned something new about your quirk. That counts for something, all things considered."

A non-committal noise left your lips as your stare dipped to your gloved hands.

Midnight wasn't wrong.

You thought your quirk had these set guidelines. These set parameters that seemed so absolute.

You syphon the energy or life force from whoever comes into contact with your bare skin and turn that into powerful spears to attack enemies.

You never once thought this could apply to non-living sources.

"I was lucky it even turned out that way..." you finally respond. "Something like that's never happened before..."

Nemuri chews slowly as she ponders and the room is silent for a while.

"I wonder if you could somehow absorb electricity and turn that power into your spears..." she mulls and you give her a skeptical frown.

"I'm not sure...I mean, I don't think Vampirism works like that...It was just a fluke during the exam, right?" you offer.

It only ever occurred during the test and it wasn't even intentional. It had to have been a one time thing.

"I mean, you touched the faux villains, which have power sources in them, and that is technically energy so..." Midnight trailed off as the sudden ringing of the doorbell cut through the conversation.

"Don't worry, I'll get it." you push your chair back and leave the dining room. 'We aren't expecting anyone else so this has to be it, right?' you think as you draw nearer to the front door. 'This has to be...'

Y/n's POV

Taking a breath, I grip the doorknob and swing the door open, finding a mailman waiting outside.

"Oh, good morning!" he greets, glancing at our address before fishing through his satchel. "There they are!" he pulls out what I think are some bills and letters but at the top of the stack was...A UA stamped letter.

"That's..."

"I hope you get in, kiddo!" he offers the letters to me and I cautiously accept them, trying my best to ensure that I didn't accidentally touch him.

"Thanks..." I reply and with that, he left to continue his route.

'This is it...This is actually it...I either passed or...'

"Y/n? Who was that?" Nemuri's call snapped me out of my thoughts and I softly closed the door. My nerves were all over the place as I walked back to the dining room and shakily held up the UA letter.

"It's here..."

Nemuri smiled.

"Go ahead and open it up in your room. From the looks of things, I've got bills to sort out." she jokes, giving me a shooing motion with her hands as I set the other envelopes down on the table.

"I guess...I'll let you know if I passed."

_______
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

The door snapped shut behind me and I looked at the letter in my hands as I leaned against the wall.

"Come on. You've waited long enough." heading over to my desk, I shift my laptop away to make space and set the letter down. I let out a shaky breath and fall heavily into the chair. "Okay...Here goes..." I break the seal, expecting to find just a letter but a small circular device falls onto my desk. "I-...Is that it? What's this for then?" I tap the small device a couple times and almost yelp as a hologram flickers to life.

"Hello there, L/n Y/n! I am Principal Nezu from UA High and today it is my duty to give you the results of your entrance exams!" a small dog...bear...animal? I could never tell with him, says with a light smile. "To get started, you passed the written exam with flying colors! I think only one or two students beat your scoring but you gained one of the highest placings for the written exam out of all the other UA hopefuls. I hope you feel very proud in that."

"I...I really did that well?" I mumble, surprise painting my words as I try to keep my attention on Nezu and my results.

"As for the practical exam, you also did very well! You got the second highest score!"

I shot from my chair and it clattered to the floor but that was the least of my concerns.

"I did what!?"

The recording carried on without a beat.

"If you'll look at your placement, you may see a readout you don't understand and no need to worry, I will explain that." Nezu gestured beside him and a list suddenly appeared, detailing placements for the top ten students.

"Now then, you gained forty villain points but also

"Now then, you gained forty villain points but also..."

"Rescue points?" I mutter, eyeing the secondary slot of points.

"You earned twenty five rescue points! I'm not certain if you remember her, but take a look at this please!" Nezu disappeared for a moment and was replaced with footage of me helping that floating quirk girl at the end of the exam.

"Wait, because I helped that girl?" I couldn't believe it. Looking at playback of myself using my power to help that girl...I couldn't resist the sting in my eyes as they began to mist over. For once, I wasn't labeled as villainous. I helped someone with my powers...

"Because of your actions, you earned those twenty five rescue points! L/n Y/n, welcome to UA high! You passed!"

_______

This is a bit short and maybe somewhat rushed but I hope you all enjoy.