It was a date. [34]

I looked to my front and all of my systems immediately shut down. I looked over to Rangiku, turning us both around. "Why did you do this?" I hissed at her, hitting her shoulder. "Ow," she cried out softly, "Didn't you want to go on a date with him?"

"I..." my face immediately turned red, "I'm not mentally prepared for this, Rangiku-San!" I whispered-shouted at her. Even though he was at a distance. "Wh-What am I supposed to do?! I've never dated a man!"

"It'll be alright. You'll do fine, Neddy," Rangiku turned us around. She pushed me to him, "Just follow his lead, okay?"

His eyes met mine. And my insides immediately began to panic. He was wearing a black button-up shirt with a red tie and grey trousers. Holy F-- "Ya dressed nice, cutie," he informed. That was it. I was going to have a panic attack if that man doesn't stop.

I was a little embarrassed about how easily I melt in between this man's fingers.

"Thank you..." I answered, shyly looking away from Shinji. Rangiku patted my shoulder, "I'll leave you two to it!" She exclaimed before walking away. I looked over to her as she looked back at me. She gave me a wink before turning her back to me.

I was feeling giddy and nervous. Like I was ready to throw myself off a bridge from embarrassment. He was feeling the same, right?

I walked closer to him, which worsen my condition. "I like how you dressed," I muttered, fiddling nervously with the sleeves of my sweater. I couldn't keep myself straight around this man. Maybe because I wasn't straight, to begin with. Either way, I was on the edge of screaming. 

Is this fangirling? Am I actually fangirling over this man?

"Ya always look so distracted," his voice snapped me out of my trains of thought. Hearing that, the heat on my cheeks seemed to intensify. "Sorry," I said, softly. "Don't be. Ya look cute when yer thinking," he said. Have I ever had compliments shot at me non-stop? Obviously, I had never.

"Yer new around here, aren't cha?" I looked at him as he spoke. I nodded. "Come on, I'll show ya around," he started walking and I walked right beside him. I looked around the park. It was peaceful and quiet. I looked over to Shinji. As he walked he had his hands in his pockets. I looked at his hand and looked over to him.

He noticed this as he took his hand out. I hesitated, but I placed my hand on his. His fingers laced around mine. My heart skipped a beat. It had been so long since I held someone's hand like this. I forgot how warm it made me feel. "Do you always do this?" I asked.

"Do what?" His gaze remained to the front.

"Compliment your date non-stop?"

"Complimenting your date is a courtesy," he stated, looking over to me, "I'm complimenting yaa lot 'cause yer cute."

"You're making me all shy and flustered by doing that, Shinji-San..."

He smirked, "Well, I don't mind, ya look cute like that."

"Sh-Shinji-San!" My cheeks were practically burning. He laughed at my reaction. God, this man.

***

The sun was setting. We were both sitting at a bench. He showed me around Karakura Town. Not by foot, but by literally walking on air a few feet above the town. He said it gave a better view. Our fingers laced with each other. "Dumb question but..." I paused for a second, "Was this a date? Like an actual date?"

He looked over to me, "That's for ya to answer," he replied, "If its an actual date, then I should do something to you." I blinked at him, "Do something to me? Like what...?" He turned his body so he was facing me fully. He placed his fingers under my chin, lifting my face.

His face inched closer to mine, "Like this," he answered. I was lost of words. My mouth refusing to function. My brain went blank. Only focusing on the situation. On how the sun beamed nicely on the side of his face. On how the wind was blowing gently causing a few strands of hair to brush against my face.

My eyes fluttered close. My heart beating right off my chest. My free hand gripping tightly on my skirt, probably causing it to creased. My other hand squeezing his hand. I could feel his lips right above mine.

But something inside me was screaming to stop. Reminding me that I was in Japan for only a year.

"Wait," I said, softly as I pulled myself away from him. I opened my eyes, "I'm sorry but..." I bit my lips, "I'm only here for a year..." I muttered, looking away from him. "And I feel like I'm a bit too young to date," my hands gripped on the sleeve on my arm. "Though..." I paused, "Maybe in 10 years I'll come back here," I looked over to Shinji, "And if none of us is seeing anyone, we can date again."

"10 years?" He paused, "I can wait that long," he looked into my eyes, "Is that a promise?" I smiled, nodding. "By that age, I've graduated and have a job," I looked to my lap, "I'll make sure I come back here," I looked over to him, "Either by a job or a holiday. Whichever comes first."

"Well," he looked to the front, positioned himself so his back was against the back of the bench, "Can't wait for 10 years," he smiled. I felt guilty for not kissing him earlier. My fingers fiddled with the hem of my skirt. Ah, screw all my culture's restrictions. I leaned over to him, planting a kiss on his cheek.

I leaned back on the bench, watching him from the corner of my eyes. He turned to me, his hand on his cheek which I kissed. His cheeks tainted with light pink and he looked surprised. He chuckled, leaning back onto the bench. I turned my head to look at him.

It was a day I'd never forget.