Chapter Three

Two days have passed since Dovelight's death, and to Tawnykit they were the worst. Skylily has been crying all throughout the day. But she doesn't blame her. Dovelight was her youngest niece. She was an apprentice when Redkit was born, so she was very young. Tawnykit understood that. But what she didn't get was why she was crying so much. They weren't even that close!
"Losing a family member can be very hurtful, even if they're not close." Moonkit told her. I guess I understand that. Darkkit has gotten better over the days as well. He's already running around and playing. Though, Tawnykit expects that from him no matter what mood he's in. He's always so hyper and outgoing, even when he's sick. Shouldn't expect anything less. The leaf-fall sun shined onto the camp. Tawnykit sighed, breathing in the cool fresh air. Being inside the nursery all day without any outside time has honestly made her go a little insane. But now, the breeze is blowing in her fur. Tawnykit sighed and smiled. Angelkit, Darkkit's sister, padded to her, "Hey Tawnykit!" She squeaked, smiling. Tawnykit's tail lashed back and forth, "Heya Angelkit!" 
"Wanna play with me and Wolfkit?" Angelkit asked. She nodded. What could go wrong? Wolfkit seemed to brighten up when he saw Tawnykit. His eyes gleamed with excitement, "Is Tawnykit playing with us?" Angelkit nodded. His tail slashed back and forth, "Well, what should we do?" Tawnykit and Wolfkit thought, "Maybe we should hear some stories from the elders?" 
"And hear more about Nightcry!" Darkkit bursted in. Angelkit and Wolfkit sighed. Tawnykit giggled "That's not a bad idea you know, we can learn more about our enemies." Moonkit padded to his side. He puffed out his chest, looking proud. With that, they padded to the elders den. Tawnykit entered first, "Pinktail? Halfsoul?" Pinktail poked her head up, looking sleepily towards her, "Tawnykit! You're just in time, I was about to take a nap!" She sat up as the others came in, "What would you like to hear about now?" Darkkit bounced up, "Nightcry! What was he like?" Halfsoul looked towards him, "You wanna hear about Nightcry?" They all nodded, "Well, although he's known for his sinister character, there's a soft spot in his heart." She looked at Moonkit and smiled softly. Pinktail rolled her eyes, "Here we go again.." She muttered. The kits seemed to ignore her, "What was he like?" Wolfkit asked. Halfsoul looked up dreamily, as if looking back at her past, "Surprisingly, he was one of our most loyal cats. He had charms and yet, he protected his Clan. We would've never expected him to turn out cold blooded evil." Tawnykit meowed, "If he was so loyal, how did he turn out to be so evil." Halfsoul's gaze softened, "He wanted power….." The den seemed silent. Too silent. Pinktail sighed, "You kits should run around and play. These stories won't keep you entertained forever." They all nodded and headed out. Angelkit turned to Halfsoul before leaving, "Thank you Halfsoul!" Halfsoul smiled, stretching, "anytime.."

Once they were outside Darkkit huffed, "Now what are we going to do." His tail lashed angrily around. Tawnykit giggled, "Darkkit calm down, there's a lot you could do." Darkkit sighed, sitting down. Wind batted their faces. Tawnykit shivered from the cold. Looks like Leaf-bare's coming sooner than we thought… 

Dusk started to fall. Cats were eating near the fresh-kill pile. Tawnykit sat on a boulder, watching the apprentices. Coalpaw had a rabbit in his mouth, setting it down. He sat down, "How's training for you, Swiftpaw." Swiftpaw took a bite from his thrush, "Going good so far. Whiteshadow says I'll probably be a warrior by the end of the moon." Coalpaw smiled, "That's great Swiftpaw!" They continued to talk to each other, as Tawnykit watched them. Redkit padded to her, sitting beside her, "You seem to be fixed on something." She turned to look at her. Tawnykit didn't take her gaze off of Coalpaw, "uh huh.." Redkit looked to where she was looking. She made a face of disgust, "Don't tell me you have a crush on Swiftpaw." Tawnykit started laughing, "Definitely not.." She smiled while looking at Coalpaw. Redkit tilted her head towards Coalpaw, smirking, "You have a crush on Coalpaw." 
"No I don't!" Tawnykit squeaked out. Redkit chuckled, "Yeah you do! Don't tell me you don't!" Tawnykit smiled, "okay okay, I may have a tiny crush on him." Redkit raised an eyebrow. Tawnykit giggled, "okay, I have a crush on him!" Redkit smiled, "Don't worry, I'll keep it a secret." She gave a brief lick on her ear. Tawnykit smiled, "Thanks Redkit." She nodded. A mouse was passed near them. Moonkit sat down beside them, "Have you guys eaten yet? Liontuft left the juiciest mice for us." She meowed and took a bit of her mouse. Redkit stood up, "No we haven't, we should probably get some though." Tawnykit nodded and padded after Redkit, who was already to Liontuft, grabbing two mice. She turned to Tawnykit, "Here I got you a mouse." She gave the mouse to her. Tawnykit smiled softly, "Thank you, Redkit." She picked up her mouth, padding back to Moonkit. Moonkit finished eating her mouse, grooming her gray pelt. Redkit sat beside her, smiling. Tawnykit took a bite of her mouse. Coalpaw padded past them. She looked at him, sighing, "Ever dreamed of your future? Taking care of your kits and clan, loving on your mate." She purred. Redkit chuckled, "Moonkit might've." A pink color appeared on her cheeks, "No, I've just been dreaming of becoming a warrior!" Redkit chuckled, "Yeah sure." They two started to fight, batting each other with their soft paws, laughing and growling. Tawnykit chuckled softly, laying her head on her paws. In two moons, I'll be an apprentice… She dwelled on the thought.
 Apprentice….