Chapter Eight

The camp was quiet with guilt for the three cats. Featherwish was gathering herbs from her collection for them.
Ferretkit's eyes fluttered open as Spottedpetal and Bramblefeather licked her tan tabby pelt, "Hey! I'm okay!" Spottedpetal tried to look angry, but her eyes were overfilled with worry, "You missy, should've not done that! What were you doing anyways?" She looked down, "I wanted to save Wolfkit.." She murmured. Her parents looked at her softly. Bramblefeather's tongue rasped over her ear, "You did your best.. but sometimes it's not enough.." He whispered. Her ears perked up, what does he mean by that? Wolfkit's safe now!
Beestar padded into the medicine den, Dawnstream behind him. As soon as she saw her kit, Dawnstream rushed to his side, "Oh my poor kit!" She gave his ear a soft lick. Beestar looked towards Featherwish, "Can we have a word?" He said gently. Featherwish nodded, padding to the dark gray leader. He went outside the den. Featherwish followed after him. Silence overwhelmed the den, making Ferretkit shift uncomfortably. Her parents let out a sigh, both standing up, "We'll come back to check on you." Spottedpetal meowed, "You be good for Featherwish." With that, they both gave her a swift lick on the cheek and padded out of the den. Now it was really quiet. The only thing she could do is check her injuries from the dog attack. There wasn't much, only one that stood out was the scratch on her flank. Pain jabbed the wound softly as she let out a hiss. It stinged badly, but it would heal in a couple of moons. Her only worries were about Wolfkit and Shadowpaw. Although she didn't see the injuries they had gotten, she knew it was bad. Curiosity then filled her heart. What's Beestar and Featherwish talking about? Her paws skidded outside the den. And this time, nobody noticed. Dawnstream was too busy worrying about Wolfkit, and Shadowpaw was fast asleep in her nest, far off into the corner and near Featherwish. She looked at the dark apprentice gently. I hope she's okay...
The two grown cats sat beside the leader's den, talking quietly to each other. Ferretkit watched from the medicine den.
"How is she?" Beestar murmured softly.
Featherwish looked at him with sympathy,
"Shadowpaw..... will never ever see again...."
Ferretkit felt the blood in her body run cold. She rushed back inside, her paws nearly tripping on each other. She looked towards Shadowpaw's nest. She laid there, still fast asleep.
"Shadowpaw?..."
Shadowpaw's head poked out of her nest. She looked towards her, tilting her dark gray head. Ferretkit looked in horror as tears fell from her tiny green eyes.
Huge claw marks covered Shadowpaw's bright yellow eyes. Blood poured from the gash, oozing a disgusting yellow liquid.
She ran back to her nest, crying and curling into a tiny fluffy ball
This is all my fault.....

***

Ever since the dog attack, Ferretpaw has been so paranoid. She's been trying to focus on her warrior training, but she's so scared. Everytime she sees Wolfpaw or Shadowpaw, guilt overwhelms her whole body.
Dawn started to come as the moon slowly went down. Ferretpaw's eyes fluttered open to see her mentor standing in front of her. Her red brown fur glimmered from the early light. At first, when Ferretpaw was first apprenticed to Brooklight, she was scared that she'd hate her. But these couple of moons with Brooklight as her mentor, showed otherwise. Brooklight was always understanding of her fears and always pointed her into the right direction.
"Beestar picked the right mentor for her." Spottedpetal had said the week of Ferretpaw's ceremony. She was right. Ferretpaw couldn't think of anyone else training her.

"Fishpelt wants us to help him with Shadowpaw, along with Redpaw and Adderstrike.." She looked at Ferretpaw gently. Her heart started to pound. Shadowpaw.....
Dogs snarling echoed in her head. She shivered in fear, "Ferretpaw?" Brooklight's soft voice snapped her out of her thoughts. Morning was already up on the horizon. Ferretpaw shifted her paws nervously as she looked away from her mentor's gaze, "Sorry Brooklight.." She murmured. What does Shadowpaw think of me?
Brooklight's eyes narrowed down at her softly, but she didn't say anything else. Ferretpaw's heart pounded swiftly. She got up, licking her shoulder as its messy fur pricked up. Her tongue rasped over it, but it didn't stay down. Brooklight padded out the den, Ferretpaw right behind her. She wouldn't dare disobey Brooklight, even if it meant seeing Shadowpaw.
She let out a sigh, at least Redpaw will be there