Chapter Twelve

Ferretpaw shifted in her sleep, whimpering loudly. Her stomach ached in pain from her anxiety. It has been weeks since Skylily died. Ferretpaw and Redpaw had been trying to comfort Tawnypaw. But still, Tawnypaw was crying as if it has been as if it was yesterday. Whiteshadow hasn't left her side ever since. 

She got up from her nest, heading to Featherwish's den. Dawn started to come up as the sky was a beautiful blue color. Some warriors were already awake, sharing tongues. The stars were still out, shining brightly. 
Ferretpaw poked her head into Featherwish's den, "Featherwish?" 

The sickness going around camp has been getting worse, though most cats were cured. Only Stormkit and Fishpelt remained in the medicine den. 
Featherwish poked her head out from her nest. She looked at Ferretpaw gently, "Ah, Ferretpaw. What do you need?" She stood up. 
"I have a bellyache.." Ferretpaw whimpered. 

"Did you eat anything bad?" Featherwish asked, going through her herb supply.
Ferretpaw shook her head then hesitantly meowed, "I've been worried...about Skylily's death…"

Featherwish softly looked at her. Her gaze was filled with sorrow, "Skylily's in a better place….she's in StarClan now.."
"I know that. The thing is the Dovelight and Fireblaze have both died as well...and What's the cause?" 
Featherwish went silent for a second, "Nightcry hasn't been seen, Ferretpaw. We can't just blame him for all these deaths."

"That doesn't mean he's not causing harm! Didn't you hear what Hollycloud said? She's seen Nightcry!" 

"Hollycloud was scared, and in shock.."
Shocked, Ferretpaw opened her mouth, her tan fur bristling, "I know that Nightcry did this...and I'll prove it…" With that, she spun around, heading out of her den, forgetting her herbs. Why won't Featherwish believe me? She's seen what Nightcry is capable of.. her claws dug into the earth below her paws, I'll prove that he did this, no matter what..

The sun started to shine high in the sky. Ferretpaw watched Redpaw and Adderstrike train. Her paws shifted at the dirt, her pelt still bristling from the talk with Featherwish. She shook off her thoughts, her fur flattened. I can't let one thing ruin my day.. But I know Nightcry did this. He's gotten away with many murders before, what makes now any different? 
"Ferrertpaw! Are you even listening to me!" She heard her mentor growl. Ferretpaw jumped up, looking embarrassed, "I'm sorry Brooklight.." Brooklight let out a huff, "Pay more attention." 
Ferretpaw nodded.

"So, as I was saying, we're going to practice dodging. Now, I'm going to swipe my paw at you and you're going to move away from my paw, make sense?" 
Ferretpaw nodded. Her heart fluttered in her chest. 
Brooklight crouched down, getting ready to 'attack'. Ferretpaw dug her claws into the soft earth below, I can do this…

Brooklight swiped her paw at her before she could even do a thing. Ferretpaw looked surprised as she felt her paw softly bat her ear.
She heard her mentor huff, "What is wrong with you? You've been acting like you have bees in your brain all morning.." 
Adderstrike and Redpaw padded to Brooklight, they were already done. Ferretpaw hung her head low, feeling the stares from her clanmates. Brooklight turned to Adderstrike, "Head back to camp, we'll catch up." 

Adderstrike nodded, taking his apprentice back to camp. Silence overwhelmed the two after they left. Ferretpaw batted her tail nervously, She's angry with me..
"Ferretpaw, I get you may be grieving. You've been through a lot," Brooklight began, "But at times like these I need you to cooperate. BlazeClan will not forgive us that easily. They're only going to launch more attacks. We've got to be prepared." She meowed, "Do you understand that?" 
Ferretpaw nodded silently. 
Silence.

"Come on, let's go back to camp.." 
Ferretpaw nodded and followed her mentor back to camp.
Worried mutters went throughout the clan as Beestar climbed up the high rock. Bloodmoon stood below, her fur bristling slightly. Ferretpaw watched in confusion as she heard Tallblossom yowl, "What are we going to do?" She cried.
"We already have Fishpelt and Stormkit sick, Why does BlazeClan have to be so stubborn.." Coalpaw's angry yowl was heard. His fur was bristling with fury. Ferretpaw passed through the crowd to get to Darkpaw and Moonpaw on the other side of the clearing, "What's going on?" She asked the two.
"A BlazeClan patrol was found in our territory." Moonpaw replied.
"Those fox-hearts.." Darkpaw muttered, his claws scraping at the soft grass. 

Ferretpaw turned her attention towards her leader, Do something! 
"SkyClan, do not panic." Beestar called from high rock. The cries turned to quiet whispers.
Beestar's gaze clouded, "If BlazeClan wants a battle, we will give them one." 
Yowls of agreement were heard all around, while others mumbled quietly to each other carefully.

"Tomorrow night, we will attack by the first slither of dawn. BlazeClan will not get away with killing Fireblaze!" 
Cheers and yowls were heard throughout camp. Ferretpaw looked around, fear bristling her pelt. This is bad, very bad.. 
Beestar leaped off of high rock, meaning the meeting was over. Cats started murmuring to each other. Darkpaw smirked a bit, his claws unsheathed, "It looks like BlazeClan will get what they deserve.."

Evening started to fall beneath the horizon as Ferretpaw padded to her den. She laid in her nest, hearing the excited chatter from her denmates. 
"You think they'll take us in the battle?" Wolfpaw murmured. His gray fur fluffed out with excitement. 
"I hope so," Darkpaw sneered, his tail lashing back and forth, "Those mangy fox-breaths won't get away with Fireblaze's death.." His gaze darkened as he smirked. 

Moonpaw looked worried, in her own thoughts. Redpaw let out an amused snort, "You guys are acting like this is your first time going into battle." She laid her head on her red paws. Coalpaw sat up, "I agree with Redpaw." 
Tawnypaw didn't stir in her nest. She looked dully at everyone. Guilt crept along Ferretpaw. Her friend didn't deserve to be sad all the time. She watched as Coalpaw cuddled up to Tawnypaw. She'll be fine, she has Coalpaw with her..

Some time has passed, now everyone was asleep, except Ferretpaw. Ferretpaw shifted nervously in her nest. Eventually, she got up. No point in falling asleep.. 
She padded out of the den, looking up at the silver stars in the sky. Tomorrow night, everything will be in war, might as well enjoy the last moments of peace..
"Ferretpaw?" 
Ferretpaw spun around to see Brooklight. Her blue eyes glimmered, "What are you doing up?"
"I can't sleep.." She murmured softly, looking down. 

"Is it because of tomorrow?" Brooklight asked. 
Ferretpaw silently nodded.

"Well, you shouldn't worry that much. You need your strength.." 
Ferretpaw looked down, "I know, I'm just….worried. What if someone dies?" 
Brooklight's gaze softened, "Death happens all the time, Ferretpaw. But if you like, I can tell you an old Nursery tale Blacksky used to tell me." 
Ferretpaw felt curiosity poke at her. Her tail wagged calmly, "Tell me!"
Brooklight softly chuckled, "alright alright.
When Waterstar was still leader, there was a young cat named Brookpetal. She was a curious cat, always went on adventures with her sister, Flamelily. But Flamelily fell in love, and eventually moved into the nursery. Now, Brookpetal was lonely,"
"What happened after that?" Ferretpaw's eyes widened with curiosity. Brooklight let out a soft chuckle before continuing,
"Well, she met a wonderful gray tom, his name was Rainheart. The two fell in love and had a kit. But the thing was, their kit was really sick. So Brookpetal crossed the border to get an herb that only grew in BlazeClan territory. She ran into a patrol and was immediately attacked. Rainheart found his mate, heartbroken. He begged her not to leave him.." She murmured, "She told him, 'I'm not leaving you, I'll be right by your side each step you take, I will be watching among our warrior ancestors.' 
Rainheart took the herbs back to camp and remembered what Brookpetal said."

Ferretpaw's eyes glimmered. Her tail softly hit the wet grass. Brooklight chuckled softly then got up and turned to the thorn tunnel.
"Where are you going?" Ferretpaw called to her. Brooklight turned back at her, "I'm going hunting." 
Before she could say something, Brooklight went into the forest, her red brown tail disappearing as she went deep into the woods.