Chapter Eighteen

The birds sang in their nests, ringing in Redpaw's ears. She hid in the bushes, looking around BlazeClan territory. Am I really going to do this? Her heart started pounding swiftly in her chest.
The rough voice of Blackclaw was heard, "Alright Leafpaw, this is where you'll be hunting." Redpaw's heart jumped, Leafpaw! 
She peeked her dark green eyes out of the bushes carefully. Blackclaw was beside Leafpaw, chatting carefully with her, "When you've caught enough prey, come back to the Burnt Oak, Good luck." He dipped his head then ran off into the forest. Leafpaw sniffed at the air. She crouched down, her ear flattened. Redpaw watched in awe as Leafpaw gracefully leapt onto a thrush, pinning it down. She bit its neck, finishing it off, then buried it in the soft ground. Redpaw stepped out of the bushes, "Nice catch." She praised the young brown apprentice. Leafpaw's fur bristled with alarm, "Redpaw?" She meowed with disbelief, "What are you doing here?" 

"I came to see you." She replied calmly. Leafpaw smiled softly, "Well then, how have you been?"
Redpaw chuckled, "I've been doing fine," She looked at her, "How are the kits?"
"Larchkit has recovered quickly, the other two are still recovering from shock." She let out a sigh before continuing, "Rosewing and Yarrowflight has been working hard to take care of those rascals." 
"Did Yarrowpaw earn his full name?" Redpaw asked, her voice filled with curiosity. Leafpaw nodded, her eyes glimmered, "He's Yarrowflight now." 
She purred, "That's great to hear!" 

"What about Featherwish, is she okay?" Leafpaw asked with concern. 

Last night, when the moon was still high in the sky, five loners were found at the Starry Forest, and they were not happy about being discovered. They attacked Rosewing, Featherwish, and Yarrowflight. Featherwish almost didn't make it out alive, Rosewing had to go to SkyClan to get help. 
"She'll be fine if she gets the rest she needs and takes it easy." Redpaw replied. 
Leafpaw seemed relieved, then she flattened her ears, "Do you think Fireblaze and Applefur's death were on purpose?" Redpaw tilted her head, "What do you mean?"

"Fireblaze and Applefur were both killed by their opponent's clan. Fireblaze was killed by BlazeClan, and Applefur was killed by SkyClan." 
Redpaw shifted uncomfortably as she continued, "When was Fireblaze killed?"
Redpaw thought, "He was killed before the gathering.." Leafpaw looked shocked, "That's when Applefur was killed."

The forest became silent, fueling the suspension. Redpaw felt her paws hard to pick up, she looked at the brown furred apprentice, "Do you think SkyClan is responsible for Applefur's death?"
"No, and BlazeClan is not responsible for Fireblaze's death." 
It went silent again, "Do you have anyone who is suspicious?" Leafpaw asked. Suddenly, Redpaw felt herself shrinking down, "My father…….."

"Adderstrike?" Leafpaw echoed, then she shook her fur, "Silentglare, Blackclaw, Flintpaw, and Falconpaw have all acted suspicious." She shuddered. Redpaw looked at her, before hearing a stick crack up ahead. Leafpaw practically jumped out of her skin. She turned to Redpaw, "Meet me at the Gathering tree when the new moon is up, We'll find out the cause of Fireblaze's death.." She licked her red furred shoulder before heading farther into her territory. 

***
Redpaw woke up in a starry forest, she blinked in awe, This is not my nest… The forest seemed peaceful, nothing was heard except for the night song of the crickets. She got up, walking deeper into the forest. Her paws almost tripped on smooth stones. She fell ungracefully into the soft reeds. A soft chuckle was heard, "You remind me of your father when we were apprentices." 

Redpaw got up, her fur bristling, "Who are you?" 
A small she-cat came out of the bushes. Her peachy colored fur was sprinkled in stars. Redpaw immediately recognized the she-cat, "Applerose!" She rushed to her mother's side, brushing against her in greeting, "I thought you died." 
Applerose looked at her kit. Her gaze was filled with warmth and sympathy, "Oh Redpaw, I would never leave you…" She wrapped her tail around her kit, "I would never ever leave you or your father…" 

She pulled back from Applerose to meet her gaze, "Then why haven't you spoken to us?" 
Applerose's gaze softened, "I've been trying to speak with Adderstrike, but every day he strays further from StarClan.." She looked down, "Now I can't even speak with him anymore…" 
Redpaw moved closer to her mother, licking her shoulder. Applerose laid her head gently on her kits' shoulder, purring softly. She then turned to her, now looking serious, "Redpaw, listen to my words carefully, Night will rise, drowning the forest in blood and claws. The four must become one to save the clans from war. But beware, for a darkness will spread, and all will be lost in the dark shadows of war…" 
Redpaw stared at her mother, puzzled. She wanted to say something, but she didn't. Applerose's fur started to fade. Redpaw looked at her, devastated, "No wait! Don't leave me, what do you mean??"
 But it was too late, Applerose fully disappeared. Redpaw found herself bursting into tears. She's gone again……