Chapter 6 - Keefe

A/n: This chapter will be similar to the last. It takes place right after Sophie and Leo do their math contest. I hope you enjoy!

PoV: Keefe.

I couldn't contain my laughter as Leo's jaw dropped. Sophie just looked smug as he reached his hand over the table, stopping my laughs.

 "Fair is fair. Good job."

 I really hoped Sophie was in my head right now. (Be careful!) I thought as loudly as I could, (He's different too, and I don't know what will happen if it's enhanced!)

Sophie must've been listening, because she slowly reached over and shook his hand. I saw his eyes widen and he quickly removed his hand, standing up and going back to his chair. 

Sophie buried her face in her hands, " What did I just about do?! " She mumbled in the Enlightened Language.

"Foster, you didn't do anything!" I whispered , trying keep my voice down. "He's obviously different if you were able to enhance him!  Don't be so hard on yourself."

 She looked at me gratefully, "How's you know he was different?"

 "Remember that high five he gave me in English?"

 Sophie 's eyes widened, "You've known since then?"

 " Yeah. His emotional center was different than other humans I've given high fives to. After that, I wanted to see if I was just imagining it, so I shook Piper's hand. Her emotional center was different than both Leo's and a normal humans, and the most similar center I could find to hers was Councillor Alina's. "

 "What does the emotional center have to do with abilities?"

 I smiled, " I'm glad you asked, Foster! You see, I was mostly looking for dominate traits. Take you, for example. You emotional center all has to do with what emotions your abilities use. Your inflicting means that even if your happy, there's always sadness and anger underlying everything. Telepaths need to keep a clear head, so there's usually lots of calm, even when they're panicking. Empaths, like me, have more vibrant emotions. Things like that. "

 "So when you touched their hands," Sophie said, putting the pieces together, " You realized they were different than a normal human's? "

 "Exactly."

Sophie looked back at the table, " So... There's a chance their elves? "

"Actually, no, they're definitely not elves. The layout of their centers are human. "

Sophie looked at me again, her face pale, " So... They're like me? "

I looked at her, confusion obviously on my face, " What do you mean 'like you'? There's no one like you, Foster!" I tried to cheer her up by flashing one of my amazing smiles. It didn't work.

"What if they're also an experiment?" Sophie asked , the seriousness in her eyes making me shudder.

"Um, if they were, then wouldn't Forkel have found them by now?"

" The Neverseen could've found them first. "

"Okay, Foster, you need to stop with all those negative thoughts, and not just so I can't feel them anymore." I put my hand on Sophie 's, "They're fine! The Neverseen is gone, so there's no way they belong to them!"

Sophie looked at me with tears in her eyes, " Do you even know why the Black Swan sent us here? Why I didn't want you coming in the first place? " I honestly didn't, so I kept quiet, "Keefe. We're looking for Neverseen members."

I felt my smile that I was barely maintaining fall. " But, they're all dead! Right? "

"We thought so, but a few have resurfaced. Don't worry, your mom isn't one of them, but Alvar is, which is why Fitz demanded to come along." Sophie sighed, " I didn't want to put anyone else in danger. Not again. "

"Hey, it's okay. We joined you because we wanted to, not because we had to. Here." I held out my hand for her to take. Carefully , she removed one of her gloves and I tried to send her as much calm as I possibly could. She sighed and let go of my hand a short while later.

"Thank you Keefe."

" No problem, Foster! But you really need to stop stressing out. "

"You're right. And I have the perfect reward for your help just now."

I was curious. Foster never had really repaid me before, and I wanted to know what she was thinking.

"After school," she started, " I can teach you English. "

Chapter 6! That's two chapters in like, 2 hours! Thank you to everyone reading! I will be seeing you tomorrow at Chapter 7! Have a great day!