Chapter 17: Where? - Sophie

A/n: So, as I mentioned in the last chapter, this will be the last chapter from Sophie's PoV for a while. It's kind of a filler to give you hints about later chapters, so pay attention to every detail. If you have any theories about anything, tell me! I want to know what you think!

PoV: Sophie

As I pushed myself out of the darkness I'd been trapped in, the first thing I noticed was my pounding headache. I rubbed my forehead and felt something cold. I opened my eyes and found myself in a large cell. I couldn't remember anything that had happened, so I tried to focus on something else. When I reached up to my forehead again, I felt what I immediately recognized as a metal circulet. I tried to transmit to Fitz, Keefe, anyone, but no one heard. 

As I tried to pry the device from my head, I heard someone hit the cell door. I jerked my head towards it in fear, only to see a black cloak. Nothing else. 

"Finally awake, I see," a strange voice hissed. Suddenly, all my memories from before came rushing back in a flood of emotions and pain. When I curled up in myself to make me smaller, the figure laughed, "Well, that was easier than I thought. You know, I'm surprised. You still tried calling for help even though you didn't even know if you were in danger. Your instincts serve you well."

The man opened my cell door and stepped inside, "Now, would you mind telling me your name?"

I stared at him in terror, "Um...F -Foster." I stammered.

The figure groaned, " You're no better than they are! "

"Who's they? Who are you?" I demanded.

The figure chuckled, " Finally, you're asking relevant questions. To your first one, I'm not allowed to tell you who they are... yet. As for you're second question, " the figure stepped into the sun light of the cell and removed his hood to reveal an all to familiar face.

"Fintan?!" I exclaimed in fear and shock, " But, how? "

"You didn't question his presence when he showed up at your school." The apparently Fintan pointed out, " And I'm not actually Fintan. I can be anyone. " the figure changed to Lady Gisela, Alden, a weird person I didn't recognize, and Grady before turing into Fintan again, "Anyone you've ever been afraid of for any reason."

The man smirked, "Of course, your deepest fears come from your closest friends. Maybe even family. " The figure turned into Keefe, causing me to jump back, "Right, Foster?" It looked and sounded like Keefe was right there until it changed to Biana. A perfect, worry free Biana, 

"Don't worry, Sophie! You're plan will work this time! " Suddenly, long, thin white scars formed on her neck and back, "Why didn't you help?"

Fitz took Biana's place, " We're cognates! We're supposed to tell each other everything! Just stop! " 

And it went like that, the man changing into all of my friends and family, letting them insult me and reminding me of what I'd failed to do.

Suddenly, the person changed from Marella to me. "Interesting," the man murmured, "The amazing Moonlark is scared of herself. Now, the real question is why. " He, she, they, I - Who knows? - looked me in the eyes and grinned evilly. "So, is it your power? Your incapability to help others? " They shrugged before going back to Fintan, "It doesn't matter. You have so much fear. It will destroy you."

I tried to look strong, but I knew I was failing, "You don't know a thing about me!"

" We'll see. " the man's maniac grin grew even more, "You'll snap eventually. It's just a matter of time before they get what they want."

With that, he turned and walked out the door.

Slowly I lowered my legs and looked around. I was so frightened by what he said that I hadn't even realized it.

He left the cell door open.

When I finally saw it, I looked around. I didn't see any guards. It looked like grew was just some fool who forgot to lock the cell.

And, like a fool, I dashed towards freedom.

Sorry this chapter it's so short! I promise the other ones will be longer. This is a very important chapter, even though it's short! I'll try to update more either tonight or tomorrow. See you then!