Chapter 28: Can we please leave? - Annabeth

A/n: Thank you guys so much for 1k views! You guys are awesome! Sorry for not updating yesterday, I was just really busy with xcountry and family stuff and lost pretty much any desire to write. But, I'm back today, and I'll try to make this chapter longer than the others! Enjoy!

PoV:Annabeth

Biana somehow grabbed my hand and pulled me through the wall Sophie had just phased through. They walk felt solid for a moment before I fell through. We arrived in another room. It wasn't as big as the room we'd fought the monsters in, but it was also brighter. Sophie kept moving forward, dragging Leo behind her.

Keefe and Leo talked as they walked, but by the way Leo kept looking back expectantly, I got the feeling Biana was invisible. It made sense. If Biana was leading me while she could be seen, the weird "worst fear" guy would know I was here. 

Sophie stayed silent as we walked. It was strange, to say the least. Sophie had said when we first met her that she spoke for her friends because they were either introverted or had gone through something horrible. Now, it felt like roles were swapped in their group. It made me feel sorry for Sophie, though I knew she wouldn't accept my pity. And I didn't blame her, I rarely accepted pity myself.

 "Um, Sophie?" Leo asked, " Where are we going? "

Sophie shrugged, "Outside."

 " Yeah, I got that, but where are we going after that? "

She shrugged again, "Home, I guess."

 " We all have different versions of 'Home', Foster, " Keefe pointed out.

 "I know."

 Sophie didn't say anything else, but by the way she was constantly looking left and right, I could tell she was nervous about something. I moved out of Biana's grip and moved to stand by Sophie.

 "What are you looking for?" I whispered. She looked in my direction for a second before her voice filled my mind.

#Do you mind if I transmit? #

(Not at all.) I thought. 

#Okay. So, when I was... captured, there was this weird person. They could change how they looked and sounded to anyone you've ever been afraid of. #

(We know that guy! He was rather cruel to us about an hour ago.)

#So you know how dangerous he could be?#

(He sent out a freaking Hydra after us. I think he gave us a pretty good idea.)

#That sounds rough. Anyways, I'm just worried he'll show up again.#

I shuddered, (I hope that doesn't happen.)

#Me too. We still need to be prepared, though. #

(Okay.)

#Here's a tip: don't act afraid. Act like you did when you confronted Arachnae. Be brave and keep a clear head.#

(Make sure the others get that message.)

#Good idea.#

I backed away and have my hand back to Biana, who seemed worried that I'd been captured or something. I mean, it made sense, but I still found it somewhat strange. 

When we reached the end of the cavern, Sophie didn't even hesitate as she stepped through, still dragging a protestant Leo. I had to stifle a laugh as tried to escape Sophie's iron grip.

"Sophie," Leo whined, " I can walk by myself! "

"I know," Sophie calmly replied.

" So why are you still dragging me? "

"Well, I could stop, but that would leave you encased in a wall of rock, so I think we both prefer what we're currently doing."

The room was so quiet you could hear a pin drop, "What do you mean 'encased in a wall of rock '? " Leo asked nervously.

"I mean that demigods can't pass through the illusions alone. They have to be touching an elf or 100% human child. Not adults. You don't need to worry, though, as long as you don't jerk away as we're passing through one."

Keefe an idea and I could hear Biana start snickering from beside me. " Uh, oh. I think my dad is running off on you, Soph! " Biana exclaimed with a giggle.

Sophie let go of Leo's wrist and stopped walking for a second, probably thinking, before her face flushed and turned bright pink. "And here I am, always complaining about his signature quote, only to say it myself!" Sophie laughed .

"Such a hypocrite!" Keefe mocked. 

The three elves burst into laughter while Leo and I stood there, unable to comprehend what they were laughing at. I was happy, though. Sophie had obviously been through a lot since she went missing, so laughing was probably a good sign.

I didn't have much time to think about it, since the scenery caught my attention. When I looked up at what was supposed to be a rocky ceiling, I saw it glitch. Literally. The whole ceiling vanished for a moment, revealing an evening sky, before the rocks came back again. I tapped Leo on the shoulder before tilting his chin up to face the ceiling. His jaw dropped as he saw the rocks disappear again before returning.

"Guys!" Her exclaimed, softening the volume of their laughter, " Look!"

Someone - probably Biana- gasped as the ceiling kept glitching. Keefe looked curious and Sophie seemed... almost happy. It wasn't quite the right word, but she looked excited, intrigued, and hopeful. "Happy" was too light a term.

The joyful look on Sophie's face faded as she looked back down again. She looked over my right shoulder, but before I could turn to see what she was looking at, her voice filled my head.

#Annabeth, Leo, get over here and don't turn around until you do.# The urgency in her voice caused both of us to move immediately. When I turned around, I saw... someone? Their appearance was constantly changing between different people; Gaea, some people - probably elves - that I didn't recognize, Hera, Grady, once even Fitz. When I looked back at Sophie, I saw she'd grabbed Keefe's hand and that her face was growing more pale with each new person.

(Sophie!) I thought, hoping she was still in my mind, (Remember? No fear. He can't beat us if we have no fear!)

Sophie nodded and took a deep breath. I didn't know why she went to Keefe for help, but, whatever he was doing, it was helping calm her down.

"Ah, the Moonlark. Welcome to test number 5! As for the rest of you, you're on number 3." He shook his head, "Its sad, really. It would've been fun to mess with you more. Alas, the plan is the plan."

" You mind telling us this 'plan's of yours? " Sophie asked.

"Hmm, you're still talking to me? Well, a minor setback. As for the plan, I cannot tell you everything. BUTt I can tell you that only you, Moonlark, can make it out of this maze alive. Maybe then the tests will actually get to you!"

"Um, Sophie, what does that mean?" Biana asked when Sophie paled.

 "Nothing, Biana." She looked at the man before us, "Who are you anyway?"

" I've already told you that. " the man pointed out.

"You're real name." Sophie clarified.

"Ah, the real questions, " the man chuckled, "My real name, young Moonlark, is Phobos."

chapter 28 for yall! My mom kept us really busy today, so I couldn't publish until now. I realize this rescue is taking a while, but I feel like that helps with character development. Also, to any of you who thought, "Hey, how did Sophie end up underground if she can't teleport through skid objects?" , here's your answer. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and I will see you tomorrow!